Basecamp routes to Zumo XT?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
treps
Has liked: 2 times

Basecamp routes to Zumo XT?

Post by treps »

Hi - I am trying to load favourite routes from a Nav IV now on Basecamp to the Zumo XT. No success.
Basecamp sees the XT, its maps, etc. However, when I select a route to upload to the device, Basecamp just goes into a loop and nothing happens.
Any help appreciated. Cheers
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: Basecamp routes to Zumo XT?

Post by TripleThreat719 »

I use a Mac, so this may not apply to you.

Lots of folks are having trouble with Basecamp recognizing the Zumo XT on a Mac.
You cannot have Garmin Express open and running (even in the background) and you cannot have Android File Transfer open and running, or basecamp will not recognize the XT, or it will have trouble communicating with it.

Do you have Garmin Drive app loaded on a Smartphone that is paired with your XT?

If so:

Disconnect the Garmin from your computer
Export the routes from Basecamp to a location on your computer (desktop, specific folder, etc.)
Email the routes, one at a time to yourself (just to help you keep organized)
Open the email on your phone and open the attachment
Click on the Share button in the upper right hand corner (iPhone - not sure about android)
Scroll across the apps on the pop-up screen until you get to the three dots (...More) option
With your XT turned on, select Copy to Drive
The Drive App will open on your phone and ask if you want to transfer the file to your XT
Say yes, and it will transfer.
No need to connect a cable to your computer.

Hope this helps.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Someone with a similar issue on another forum solved it by using a different usb port.

If that doesn't help, how are you trying to transfer the routes? I assume from what you say you've successfully transferred the routes from your Nav to a folder or list in BaseCamp? You should then be able to group select them all, right click the selection, select Send to and then choose your Zumo. Having done so look at the GPX folder in your Zumo, there should be a file there with the correct date/time, and almost certainly called temp.gpx

Where in the above sequence do things go wrong?
treps

Post by treps »

Many thanks. This is really helpful. I am also on Mac & iPhone.
It all worked, file transferred, etc. I took some tome to find them on XT. Trip Planner is it!

I am dumbfounded as to why the direct transfer from Basecamp does not work as per other devices. However, I am very happy. Thanks again.
TripleThreat719 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:42 pm I use a Mac, so this may not apply to you.
Hope this helps.
Last edited by treps on Wed May 20, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
treps

Post by treps »

Thanks. I use an iMac.
I have tried the procedure you describe. (as an aside, it works fine using the Nav IV, Oregon 700) With the XT, I see the device, select the routes as you suggest and click transfer to device. It starts the process but then gets stuck into a loop and nothing happens. The only way out is to force quit.
However, even more weird is that when powering up the XT, it asks do I want to import new routes? Yes. Then nothing. No new routes on the device.
sussamb wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:14 am Someone with a similar issue on another forum solved it by using a different usb port.

If that doesn't help, how are you trying to transfer the routes? I assume from what you say you've successfully transferred the routes from your Nav to a folder or list in BaseCamp? You should then be able to group select them all, right click the selection, select Send to and then choose your Zumo. Having done so look at the GPX folder in your Zumo, there should be a file there with the correct date/time, and almost certainly called temp.gpx

simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

treps wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:24 am Many thanks. This is really helpful. I am nearly there.
It all worked, file transferred, etc. However, I am unasked to find the route on the XT... I am being thick but where do I find the newly transferred file?
It is not in Favourites, nor History, nor anywhere... Thanks again.
TripleThreat719 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:42 pm I use a Mac, so this may not apply to you.
Hope this helps.
Select 'Apps' from main screen, then select 'Trip planner', then select top left corner 3 horizontal lines & finally 'import' you select which routes you want.
Not very intuitive is it ?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

treps wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:29 am Thanks. I use an iMac.
I have tried the procedure you describe. (as an aside, it works fine using the Nav IV, Oregon 700) With the XT, I see the device, select the routes as you suggest and click transfer to device. It starts the process but then gets stuck into a loop and nothing happens. The only way out is to force quit.
However, even more weird is that when powering up the XT, it asks do I want to import new routes? Yes. Then nothing. No new routes on the device.
sussamb wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:14 am Someone with a similar issue on another forum solved it by using a different usb port.

If that doesn't work the next simplest way is to export the routes to your PC then copy the exported gpx file into the GPX folder on your Zumo.

One reason why directly exporting them may not work could be the number of route points, do you have more than 30?
Northernlanes
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Northernlanes »

my PC Basecamp route uploads works fine, running Windows 10 and uploading routes via USB to the XT's internal memory is a breeze, i know this may not help you but it's more to say 'it does work' so may be something particular to your set up
Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

I'm doing it the way I have always done it. Drag from the Basecamp folder and drop it onto the XT's internal memory. Windows 10.
yorky
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by yorky »

Tom Schmitz wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:25 pm I'm doing it the way I have always done it. Drag from the Basecamp folder and drop it onto the XT's internal memory. Windows 10.
+1 Easy