Surpriiiiise.... Says Garmin about the mount bracket.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Surpriiiiise.... Says Garmin about the mount bracket.

Post by Hati »

Found an email from Garmin support in my inbox. I thought it's correspondence in regards to my open ticket (audio warning issues detailed elsewhere on this forum), but no. All together new issue.

Apparently some of the XT mount brackets, under certain conditions, "may experience vibration".

So Garmin (Australia, in my case) took it upon themselves to open a new ticket for me and send me, free of charge, a replacement bracket. The postal service is abysmal down this way, so nothing arrived yet, but I am impressed.

An '05 RT is the bike my XT is fitted to and I found the bracket to be fine and vibrating a lot less (well pretty much none at all) compared to the 595. The XT is around half the weight of its predecessor, so that goes a long way giving the mount an easier life, hence Garmin's email was such a surprise. Will compare mounts and take some photos when it arrives.

Will be interesting to see what other parts of the world follow suit.
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Re: Surpriiiiise.... Says Garmin about the mount bracket.

Post by cr0100 »

Interesting! I've got mine mounted on a RAM ball right on the top of the steering head nut and it is rock-solid. By "vibration" do they mean that the XT isn't fitting tight into the mount so the two are vibrating against each other - potentially causing wear to the mount and the XT?
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Post by Hati »

cr0100 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:31 pmBy "vibration" do they mean that the XT isn't fitting tight into the mount so the two are vibrating against each other - potentially causing wear to the mount and the XT?
I have no idea. Mine is on a mount system that sits on the top of the dash. When I bought the bike and fitted the 595 to it, the vibrations were so severe that I had to come up with a bracket system under the plastic that stopped most of the issue, but the 595 being a heavy unit, still vibrated a little but now mostly over corrugations on the road only. The XT is half the weight of a 595 so all my vibrations were gone and did not notice any issues with the bracket, but then I wasn't looking for one either. I just got the refurbished shocks back for the bike (bike on stand for 5 weeks) so since I got this email, I had no chance to look and check/test. Hopefully this weekend.
Grispoil
Canada

Post by Grispoil »

I just purchased a Garmin Zumo XT and I was intrigued by this post and I did some google searches and found this Garmin article:

https://support.garmin.com/ms-MY/?faq=4 ... mvoT29KRF9

I have opened a ticket with Garmin and my replacement bracket is now on order, free of charge. It may take a while to get it as they are out of stock in North America.

Honestly, I am not sure what is wrong with the bracket I have received with the unit, it seems to be holding the GPS just fine, however, I have not tried it on the road yet because of the covid-19 non-essential travel ban that is still in effect here in Canada. The motorcycle season will be very short for us this year...

Yvan
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Is there a list of affected units as the support section just keeps looping you around between two pages :roll:
cr0100
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

I tried using their online chat to discuss with them, but the window never fully populated. I finally just called their support number and the person at Garmin verified that my device was "..judging by the pack date for that serial number, your device is in the clear". He added that "typically, you'll notice right away that there is slop/sliding when it's in the mount" (which I haven't noticed with mine) and I told him I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't a problem that might develop over time. In short: If you don't notice a problem, you *probably* don't have to do anything.
Jefro
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by Jefro »

I have the "sloppy fit" with my Zumo XT bracket.
If you grab the face of the unit and try to rotate it left or right, the fit is a bit loose, and the unit will move a slight amount left/right.
I called Zumo Tech Support and they said it was a known issue, and they would be sending me a new mounting bracket when they become available, which might be awhile.
In the meantime, I put some blue painters tape on the left and right side of the bracket to tighten up the fit.
Jefro.
Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

Mine seems to be quite tight and secure. Never the less, I have a tether on the XT that loops around the mount just in case. This is not an XT thing, I had done this with my 660 and put the tether on the XT as soon as I got it.

Tethers on stuff mounted to motorcycles has saved my bew-tocks on more than one occasion.
cr0100
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

May I ask: How is your tether attached to the Zumo? As soon as you mentioned a tether, I'm suddenly feeling like it would be a good idea to set up something similar on mine.
Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

[mention]cr0100[/mention], it is nothing very exotic, but neither is it intrusive.

Simply take a zip tie anchor and stick it on the back, then fashion a loop that is long enough to go over and around the mounting plate. If the zumo becomes dismounted it should simply dangle until you can come to its rescue.

I know the anchors are available at ACE Hardware; they are probably in Lowes and Home Depot as well.

ETA - I have tried six times to get the photo oriented correctly. It insists on being upside down. So be it.
Last edited by Tom Schmitz on Sat May 09, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.