Basecamp discontinued?

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Basecamp discontinued?

Post by Stu »

I have seen a few posts in other places suggesting that development of basecamp has been discontinued! does anyone know if this is true or not?
Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Re: Basecamp discontinued?

Post by Tom Schmitz »

Where have you seen these posts?

More than a year ago Garmin, when BaseCamp was at version 4.6.2, announced the introduction of the Explore website. That website was/is for GPSMap66 and other select devices.

A footnote on that announcement said that BaseCamp development was discontinued. That footnote has long since been removed. Instead, the Explore announcement now says "Devices that are currently supported by BaseCamp will be continued to be supported in that application."

"Boyd" at GPSFileDepot still tells people that BaseCamp has been discontinued, but I don't see it. The Explore website has never been expanded to include mainstream nav devices. BaseCamp has had a couple of revisions in the past year.

If there is so0mething new and substantive, please share a citation.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

I was in contact with the BaseCamp team at Garmin as I'm a mod on the Garmin forums. The team was disbanded a few years ago now, many of them very unhappy about it. Garmin continue to make changes to BaseCamp 'as necessary', the main recent one being to comply with GDPR rules. Otherwise there is no 'development'.

However I can't see it being pulled, even its predecessor MapSource is still available :)
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Tom Schmitz wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:39 pm Where have you seen these posts?

More than a year ago Garmin, when BaseCamp was at version 4.6.2, announced the introduction of the Explore website. That website was/is for GPSMap66 and other select devices.

A footnote on that announcement said that BaseCamp development was discontinued. That footnote has long since been removed. Instead, the Explore announcement now says "Devices that are currently supported by BaseCamp will be continued to be supported in that application."

"Boyd" at GPSFileDepot still tells people that BaseCamp has been discontinued, but I don't see it. The Explore website has never been expanded to include mainstream nav devices. BaseCamp has had a couple of revisions in the past year.

If there is so0mething new and substantive, please share a citation.
I have seen it on Garmin forums and various other sites

I have not seen anything "new" on it hence the question! it would just be nice to know whats going on and where we stand
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

sussamb wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:48 pm I'm a mod on the Garmin forums
Traitor :lol: :lol:
Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

It would seem to me that it is true that Basecamp development is not going to go any further forward. Garmin must consider it a mature product that supports a set of devices. Beyond providing enhanced functionality and added value for those devices, it doesn't generate income so spending development money on it is not a smart move in the accounting world.

BaseCamp (and I would welcome correction) has about as much functionality in routing and route planning as those devices need, so it is pretty mature in that regard. An example where I would be wrong would be if there is a significant and desirable difference between Curvy Roads and Adventurous Routing. And, of course, if one is into the Adventurous Routing concept then it might be asked if the HISTORY® and Foursquare data could be imported to BaseCamp. None of this is of interest to me, but I can see where some would consider it a worthy addition.

Garmin probably intends to continue supporting it to ensure that it remains in decent working order and will continue to offer it. I would hazard a guess that it will be around for the life of the XT, at least.

I'd love to get into the Explore website to see what it offers, but a cursory look seemed to indicate that you need a device to get in. That bears further examination that I've never gotten around to doing.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Stu wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:41 pm
sussamb wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:48 pm I'm a mod on the Garmin forums
Traitor :lol: :lol:
Well you didn't offer me a job here :roll:
Stu
Site Admin