Do I need to retire my 660?

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
stevedo
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Do I need to retire my 660?

Post by stevedo »

I've had my unit for quite some time now and am currently using it on extended round the world trip. Currently in Argentina. I've been experiencing various issues that I'll describe below. My question is, is it time for me to retire my 660 and look for a replacement?

Please note, within the last few weeks I have replaced the original battery (November 2011) with a brand new original Garmin one. i do not have a MicroSD card in the unit and I'm using OSM maps. All firmware and software is up to date. I have tried a full reset (many times :-)). The behaviour below was probably worse with the old battery. These are all issues that have arisen fairly recently, I have had a number of years using the unit without issue in its current configuration.

1. This is with the battery fully charged and the unit out of the cradle. Trying to turn the unit on fails. The Garmin logo appears on screen but with a "Insert Battery" warning above the logo.

2. If I hold the battery door slightly ajar at the bottom when turning the unit on I get past the issue in number 1 above. However, the unit then reports an invalid battery and shuts down.

3. If I hold the battery door open a little further the unit starts normally, I close the door and all seems well.

4. Once started and satellites acquired the time displayed on the unit is incorrect. For example, right now it's 10:14 but my unit is displaying a time of 07:14. I have five green bars on the satellite strength indicator.

5. The date and time on the trip logs is incorrect (when viewing them on the unit). Yesterday, 27th April 2019, I started a ride at 09:47. The trip log on the unit starts at 06:47 and is dated 11th September 1999. The date and time of the trip log is the same as when imported into Basecamp.

6. The unit does not charge the battery when in the motorcycle cradle. When turning the motorcycle ignition on and off and the unit detects that cradle power has either been lost or restored i.e. I get the warning that power has been lost and that the unit will shut down in thirty seconds. If I turn the ignition on during this countdown then it is cancelled, as expected.

7. Putting the unit into the motorcycle cradle whilst switched off and turning the motorcycle ignition on results in the Garmin logo being displayed with the message "Insert Battery" as in point 1 above. I have to turn the unit on using the method in point 3 before mounting the unit to the cradle.

8. The unit does navigate successfully before the battery dies and the unit turns off. Why the unit needs an internal battery whilst powered in the cradle I don't know.

So, what do you think? Time for a replacement or not? I'd rather not spend the money if I don't have to but do like the features that my 660 provides and would like them back. For me, the 595 would be a logical replacement.

Saludos
Steve
www.tiger800rtw.com
facebook\tiger800rtw
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Re: Do I need to retire my 660?

Post by carolinarider09 »

To answer your question directly, it depends; You are on a tour and need the unit. Only option seems to be replace. If you do not need the unit and would like to keep it, I'd recommend http://www.palmdr.com

I have both a 660 and a 665 (660 is my backup on road trip). Both work and but the 665 gets flakey sometimes. I don't plan on replacing them in the near future.
adl55
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by adl55 »

#4 and #5 are related to the WNRO issue. All GPS receivers should have a firmware fix but not, until this week, Zumo 660s. Garmin has put out a firmware update that supposedly fixes it. (I've downloaded & installed the update but haven't taken my 660 out to test. That's tomorrow.)

The other issues sound like you've got issues that are only going to get worse. Maybe Garmin will swap it out for a refurbed 660?
adl55
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by adl55 »

The latest firmware update resolved the date & time issue for me. (Items #4 & #5 on your list.)
probe
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by probe »

DO NOT retire your 660. I have the 595 and it is rubbish. Wish I had kept my 660
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

probe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:30 am DO NOT retire your 660. I have the 595 and it is rubbish. Wish I had kept my 660
I concur! I'm currently attempting to reanimate my old nuvi. The 595 IMHO should be avoided if possible. I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another Garmin because of it.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
mzeist
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 31 times
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

I have both the 660 and the 595, although I liked the 660 very much, now I'm used to the 595, the 660 isn't in use anymore..
Last edited by mzeist on Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes, that's often the case, sometimes a new device takes a bit of getting used to, or rather unlearning the old device takes a while. Once you do you realise the benefits :)
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

sussamb wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:40 pm Yes, that's often the case, sometimes a new device takes a bit of getting used to, or rather unlearning the old device takes a while. Once you do you realise the benefits :)
This is the same with Basecamp!

It's different to what how other software works and takes a bit of learning! I hated it to start with but the more I use it the more I like it
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Stu wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:09 am
sussamb wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:40 pm Yes, that's often the case, sometimes a new device takes a bit of getting used to, or rather unlearning the old device takes a while. Once you do you realise the benefits :)
This is the same with Basecamp!

It's different to what how other software works and takes a bit of learning! I hated it to start with but the more I use it the more I like it
Agreed. I've tried going back to MapSource occasionally but now I'm used to BaseCamp I find it impossible ;)