No Album Art via Bluetooth

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 116 times
United States of America

Re: No Album Art via Bluetooth

Post by lkraus »

raesewell wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:10 pm I have had problems with album art in the past after copying and pasting, I have a lot of MP3s now who think they are Brenda Lee's Jump the Broomsticks, they are not, well obviously Brenda Lee's Jump the Broomsticks is but the rest have her Album Art. It has never bothered me so I have not looked for a fix. I believe it happens for no apparent reason.
I think this different problem than the OP's issue, which also affects the controls.

MP3 music files can each contain their own unique art as a tag. Without an art tag in the file, most music players then look for a default image in the folder, something like "albumart.jpg" or "folder.jpg". These are often overlooked during a copy/paste file transfer. This becomes more of an issue since the image files often have the "hidden" attribute set, because you might not know that a separate art file even exists. Then when you play a track that has no art included, the player just displays the first .jpg it can find, which is apparently Brenda Lee's.

The one image per folder method does save storage space over putting the art in each music file, which was important when storage was measured in kilobytes and megabytes. File sizes are not so important now when a $10 card the size of a fingernail can hold 64 gigabytes.

For Windows, MP3Tag is a very good free utility to view/add/edit tags, including album art.

I also use MediaMonkey to manage my collection, in part because it will automatically search online for tagging information and art for my music. The free version is very capable; the paid version will search for and update a 100 tracks at a time.
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by MotoToph »

lkraus wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:53 pm I think the problem with the controls is more important than the lack of album art.

You might want to look at the permissions settings for the apps on your phone(s). I've had issues when "Remove permissions if app is unused" is activated. Turning that feature off and then granting permissions for the apps involved (Drive, the music source, file manager, etc.) corrected the problem.
Great suggestions. I have the remove permissions off and needed permissions on. I didn't think of checking this but just looked 👍
lkraus wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:47 pm
raesewell wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:10 pm I have had problems with album art in the past after copying and pasting, I have a lot of MP3s now who think they are Brenda Lee's Jump the Broomsticks, they are not, well obviously Brenda Lee's Jump the Broomsticks is but the rest have her Album Art. It has never bothered me so I have not looked for a fix. I believe it happens for no apparent reason.
I think this different problem than the OP's issue, which also affects the controls.

MP3 music files can each contain their own unique art as a tag. Without an art tag in the file, most music players then look for a default image in the folder, something like "albumart.jpg" or "folder.jpg". These are often overlooked during a copy/paste file transfer. This becomes more of an issue since the image files often have the "hidden" attribute set, because you might not know that a separate art file even exists. Then when you play a track that has no art included, the player just displays the first .jpg it can find, which is apparently Brenda Lee's.

The one image per folder method does save storage space over putting the art in each music file, which was important when storage was measured in kilobytes and megabytes. File sizes are not so important now when a $10 card the size of a fingernail can hold 64 gigabytes.

For Windows, MP3Tag is a very good free utility to view/add/edit tags, including album art.

I also use MediaMonkey to manage my collection, in part because it will automatically search online for tagging information and art for my music. The free version is very capable; the paid version will search for and update a 100 tracks at a time.
You are correct not my specific problem, but some great information! Music on sd card works perfectly.
ZUMO XT
K1600GT
zainul_ahmed
Been liked: 3 times

Post by zainul_ahmed »

I have been fighting with my zumo trying to figure this out. My problem started about the same time so it was also probably from the update.
The problem isn't that it doesn't show the album cover, its that you have limited control over you music. You are able to start the music but cant pause it and when you disconnect your headset the music keeps playing over the speakers since you cant pause it. And it doesn't seem to matter what the phone is, I tried my s23, my wife s23 and a s10. I gave it all the permissions on the 3 phones.

I have found that if you delete the drive app and just use the BT everything in the media player works aside from the album art. I don't care about the album art but I do like all the other features of the app.

My guess is this is an issue with the recent update and how it works with the drive app. I might try support in hopes that if enough people say something they'll hopefully release a patch.
zainul_ahmed
Been liked: 3 times

Post by zainul_ahmed »

MotoToph wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:00 pm Yesterday the XT was no longer showing album art, song title and artist. It only displays No Media Playing. I am able to start music by pressing the start button, but that same button will not pause the music. I am able to skip songs on the Zumo as well. The zumo shows that it is connected to my phone, a Samsung S23 Ultra. The music plays from from phone through the XT's speaker.

The phone does send album art to my Drivesmart 66. This also uses Garmin Drive. It also sends album art to both of my vehicles via bluetooth. I paired my wife's phone (same model) to the XT with no change.

I deleted drive from my phone, unpaired the XT on the Phone and XT itself. Re-paired everything and still the same as above. Then I removed everything again and factory reset the XT. It did not fix anything and is doing what is mentioned above. Coincidentally a software update came out today, but did not address the situation. I am a daily rider. Everything was working on Monday.

Any ideas?

Edit: I forgot to add that music from the SD card works as it should.

Got it fixed!!!! The problem isn't the zumo, it's the new version of garmin drive app.
I found a the version of drive app before the latest update and installed it. Everything works again!!

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/garmin/ga ... -download/

Delete current version of drive app

After you download the apk bundle from the link, under it it says "need help installing" download the app it takes you to open it and open the garmin apk file you just downloaded. Install older version of garmin and you are set to go!!
MotoToph
United States of America

Post by MotoToph »

zainul_ahmed wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:14 pm
MotoToph wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:00 pm Yesterday the XT was no longer showing album art, song title and artist. It only displays No Media Playing. I am able to start music by pressing the start button, but that same button will not pause the music. I am able to skip songs on the Zumo as well. The zumo shows that it is connected to my phone, a Samsung S23 Ultra. The music plays from from phone through the XT's speaker.

The phone does send album art to my Drivesmart 66. This also uses Garmin Drive. It also sends album art to both of my vehicles via bluetooth. I paired my wife's phone (same model) to the XT with no change.

I deleted drive from my phone, unpaired the XT on the Phone and XT itself. Re-paired everything and still the same as above. Then I removed everything again and factory reset the XT. It did not fix anything and is doing what is mentioned above. Coincidentally a software update came out today, but did not address the situation. I am a daily rider. Everything was working on Monday.

Any ideas?

Edit: I forgot to add that music from the SD card works as it should.

Got it fixed!!!! The problem isn't the zumo, it's the new version of garmin drive app.
I found a the version of drive app before the latest update and installed it. Everything works again!!

After you download the apk bundle from the link, under it it says "need help installing" download the app it takes you to open it and open the garmin apk file you just downloaded. Install older version of garmin and you are set to go!!
Awesome! Glad you found this as well. Thank you for the reply!

I did rolled back to the previous version thanks to my wife.

At work I tried an s10, a pixel, and an iPhone and no joy.

Yesterday evening, I connected to the garmin with the same results as you. But I thought it was the XT because my Garmin Drivesmart did not have an issue. Well it didn't have album art, but had controls.

This afternoon my wife asked, "can't you download a previous version of the Garmin app?" I slapped my forehead and said of course I can.

Instead of asking mirror I used F-Droid. Same process except you can choose previous versions with the F-Droid app.

Was coming here to post my results and saw your reply.

Thanks for your troubleshooting on your end. Hopefully, this will help others!

I have an open ticket with Garmin and will let them know.
ZUMO XT
K1600GT
BikeyPikey
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by BikeyPikey »

I had the same problem and spent ages messing around trying all sorts to no avail. Please buy your wife a huge bunch of roses as a thanks from me a it worked a treat 😉
Zumo XT
1999 BMW R1100GS
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx
2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500
MotoToph
United States of America

Post by MotoToph »

Sent Garmin our findings.
Screenshot_20240513_172257_Proton Mail.jpg
Screenshot_20240513_172257_Proton Mail.jpg (136.48 KiB) Viewed 69 times
ZUMO XT
K1600GT
Brock_Evan
Has liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by Brock_Evan »

[/quote]Got it fixed!!!! The problem isn't the zumo, it's the new version of garmin drive app.

[/quote]

I created an account here on this forum to thank you for this fix! Nothing to do with navigating but for me, the album art on the device was like icing on the cake for me. A luxury I was not expecting when I got the device. When is stopped working, I was bummed - so, thank you very much!