Where I've Been App

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
VFRcanada
Been liked: 4 times
Canada

Where I've Been App

Post by VFRcanada »

When I open the "Where I've Been" app, it shows todays date and the Total Distance. I thought I used to be able to scroll through the dates to see tracks from different days but it doesn't do that anymore. I have the Travel History turned on. I don't like using the "tracks" app cause it breaks the days tracks into many segments. Am I dreaming about the past or did I mess up a setting somewhere?
BrAtKo
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 5 times
Slovakia

Re: Where I've Been App

Post by BrAtKo »

Hi, firend of mine have had all the history trips in app Where I've been and in same time under Tracks. Me not (same like you). I have the history only under Tracks -> Unsaved Tracks. But I do not know how to changhe this behaviour. I can check the total KM and some history under Where I've been only in the day of ride until 24:00.
But, the friend reported me the problem with sync and Drive app, it stopped work and only solution was to delete the all travel history from Tracks.
Image Honda NC750S DCT fuel consumption (122 000km from 2015y)
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 614 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Tracks are retained until the XT decides that it needs to get rid of them. With earlier Zumos this used to be when it had used up all of the 20 files that it uses for storage. They are numbered files in the folder Gpx/Archive. They still are.

I have read that it now keeps them for a few months (3 rings a bell) and I have some suggestion that this may be the case. Having reached more than 20 files when the first few were deleted to make space for 21, 22, 23, ....29. I then found, not having ridden the bike for a few weeks, that 10 to 18 had also disappeared.

The most recent logs are in CurrentTrackLog.gpx.

All of these are availabe from the tracks app on the XT, but will disappear. If you want to keep them, then create a folder on your computer and every month copy CurrentTrackLog and ALL of the archive folder. Yes you want to overwrite existing files. This is because the XT will keep modifying the last few files in order to keep whole routes together.

If you want to get rid of the fragmentation, Basecamp can do that. Select all of the tracks for the same date and right click, select Join selected tracks. It uses the dates and times in the track log to piece them together in the correct order.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
BrAtKo
Slovakia

Post by BrAtKo »

Hi John why I have these history logs only under Unsaved Tracks? Why nothing is in where I've been app? Thanks a lot.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The active logs all appear as unsaved on the Zumos. Eventuually, they get deleted automatically, otherwise the system will use up all its own internal memory.

You can select an active log track using the Zumo track app itself and ask for it to be saved. That creates a new Gpx file which will not be deleted, and which you can use to convert to a trip and/or navigate. Such tracks, then appear as Saved tracks.

I've never used it except to see what it does. I just download all of my tracks every couple of months and keep them on my computer. I find them to be a useful record of where I have been. I use memorymaps mainly, in conjunction with UK Ordnance Survey maps. But Basecamp is also good for organising your tracks.

They can also be useful for identifying locations of photographs by date, and fir geotagging old digital photos.

Edit

Just realised that I didn't answer the question.

In the Where Ive been app' the tracks are listed by date. Tap the displayed date to get a scrollable list to choose other dates. But it can only go back as far as the active logs which have not yet been deleted. On the XT, I believe that the older ones are cleared out during the startup process - reboot, I think, but I may be wrong. If you want to download them before that happens, plug the USB cable in so that you can get them saved to pc before the XT starts up and cleans it out tracks older than (say) 3 months.

I have just checked mine 18 April. The earliest track is 10 March, but I haven't ridden it much. I know I rode it in Jan to take it for its MOT, and that isn't shown. I can't connect a PC at the moment to check, but 2 or 3 month seems to be the life span if the.XT logs. They disappear, even if no logs have been created to fill up the space. That is very different from earlier Zumos.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
VFRcanada
Been liked: 4 times
Canada

Post by VFRcanada »

jfheath wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:55 am In the Where Ive been app' the tracks are listed by date. Tap the displayed date to get a scrollable list to choose other dates.
This is the problem. There is no scrollable list anymore. Just todays date. There are no other dates anymore. Where did they go?
BrAtKo
Slovakia

Post by BrAtKo »

Thank you John for explanation. Me personaly, I've never seen any other records in the Where Ive been app only current day ride.
EDIT: I can see now the history in Where Ive been app

What do you think about appearance of travel history directly in saved Tracks app (not under Unsaved Tracks), friend of mine reported me this (he has not saved it manualy) behaviour and these tracks has been enabled to sync to Explore.
Last edited by BrAtKo on Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

VFRcanada wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:33 am
jfheath wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:55 am In the Where Ive been app' the tracks are listed by date. Tap the displayed date to get a scrollable list to choose other dates.
This is the problem. There is no scrollable list anymore. Just todays date. There are no other dates anymore. Where did they go?

It sounds like they have gone. Plug in the USB cable and wait for it to connect to your computer.
It will (eventually) list it by name ZumoXT - but it may take a minute to show up. When it does, navigate to the GPX folder in Internal Storage. CurrentTrackLog.gpx contains the most recent tracks.

There should be an Archive folder. Take a look at what is in there. There should be up to 20 gpx files eg 1gpx, 2.gpx - numbered sequentially in order of date. If you have had your XT for a long while, then they may be 46.gpx, 47.gpx. or even 132.gpx, 133.gpx, 134.gpx.

When CurrentTrackLog.gpx becomes large the XT creates a new file in Archive folder - say the next one Is 152.gpx. and it will shunt some of the older tracks into that. But in order to make space for it, it will delete 132.gpx.

That is the traditional, in a nutshell description that applies to the Zumos before the XT. The numbered archive files never change once they have been created.

Not the XT though. It does something different. What follows is me speculating. It may not be 100% correct. It may be complete, wrong ... but it is what I think from what I have observed.

1 The XT seems to do some housekeeping on the files. It gets rid of any small track logs that are short and have hardly any distance. The ones that record you turning on the ignition, pushing the bike onto the road and turning it of again.
2 The XT is reoprted by Garmin (I've read it but cannot find it just now) to make an effort to keep whole tracks in one file. so it may remove a section from the end of one archive file and tag it to the beginning of a track in anothe.
3. The XT keeps tracks for a certain amount of time. After that, older tracks in Archive will be deleted. I think this may be dine at startup, so if you haven't used your XT for a few months, then dont let the XT start up until you have plugged it into the computer and copied any gpx files that you need.

If backing up the archive folder copy all of the ones available to your hard drive and let it ovrite any that it needs to. That way you get the latest moidified versions