Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Making Track visible on the Map

Post by Peobody »

Inside the download is .txt file that tells you where to place the file on the XT. Once that is done...
Start the XT
Go to Settings > Map & Vehicle > Map Theme
That map theme will be available to select.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
gibboian
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by gibboian »

Thanks. I hadnt unzipped the file.. I will do that now.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

lkraus wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:23 pm I rely on voice instructions for long stretches, so I can easily miss seeing the track diverge from my route. Using a wide, black track puts a border on the route, giving me reassurance that I am still on route. If I don't see the border when I do look at the screen, I know I've gone astray.

I've attached my favorite map theme. It has high contrast colors and I've modified it to provide very wide tracks.
What name does this theme show up as on my XT?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:54 am
lkraus wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:23 pm I rely on voice instructions for long stretches, so I can easily miss seeing the track diverge from my route. Using a wide, black track puts a border on the route, giving me reassurance that I am still on route. If I don't see the border when I do look at the screen, I know I've gone astray.

I've attached my favorite map theme. It has high contrast colors and I've modified it to provide very wide tracks.
Garmin HV WideT
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It IS possible to show tracks on the map if you have Explore enabled on the XT.

But it does it differently. Instead of selecting each route in turn and turning 'show on map' on or off, Explore uses something called 'Collections'. All Items in a collection can be turned on and off in one operation.

So routes, tracks and saved waypoints can all be assigned to one or more collections and the collection can be shown on the map. Or not.

If you don't have any collections set up, then everything belongs to 'unorganised'. So I think (it has been a while since I did this) - if you have Explore set up, but haven't yet created any collections, then your tracks may show up if you select collections and show 'unorganised' on the map. But don't hold me to that.

You cannot set them up in the XT itself, you have to do it in the Explore app, or on either explore website. When I had Explore set up, I created 5 collections just so that I could make use of them on the XT - because you can add, remove items from a collection on the. XT itself.

This for without Explore and the following page for with explore set up. All with pretty pictures.

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/app.php/ZXT-P58

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
gibboian
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by gibboian »

Thanks for all of the responses. I removed Explore from my phone etc and it works great now. As the previous poster described you have to switch each track on individually. That's fine.

This week I switched to using MRA instead of Basecamp and a side benefit is that the gpx export contains both the route and the track.

The preview allows me to spot if the XT is calculating a different route to MRA.

When I'm doing long trips with pals this will be really useful. For the non Garmin riders I have always created a calimoto version of each route. I then add waypoints to calimoto to force the route to match the track, For consistency I will now ensure that xt route matches as well.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

lkraus wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:14 pm
rbentnail wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:54 am

Garmin HV WideT
I finally got to test this today. Works a treat, thanks!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A