Basecamp and via points/shaping points

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
gwilki
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
Canada

Basecamp and via points/shaping points

Post by gwilki »

It's been months since I've been here, so I have re-read all the advice and conversations from back then. Bike season is starting here, so I'm boning up on using my XT2. I only used successfully one time last season, so I am eager to start anew.

One thing that I seem to have forgotten and cannot find in our previous discussions is information on the different "points" to be set.

I am using Basecamp to create routes, then copying them to the XT2 using Basecamp while the XT2 is attached using usb. When I create the route, I using the manual "insert" tool to add points - primarily at turning spots. What I do not see is what these points are. Are they via points or shaping points. I don't see in Basecamp any way to determine that - or to change them from one to the other.

Can someone please tell me what I am missing?

Thank you.
Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON Canada
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Re: Basecamp and via points/shaping points

Post by rbentnail »

In Base Camp, the bottom left pane, you can double click your route name to open a box. The bold text indicates a via (alerting) point and the grayed out ones are shaping (unannounced) points. You can change from one to the other by right clicking the point. In that box, you can also tick "center of map" to zoom way in and use the MOVE tool to put the point exactly where you want it to be.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
gwilki
Canada

Post by gwilki »

rbentnail wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:39 pm In Base Camp, the bottom left pane, you can double click your route name to open a box. The bold text indicates a via (alerting) point and the grayed out ones are shaping (unannounced) points. You can change from one to the other by right clicking the point. In that box, you can also tick "center of map" to zoom way in and use the MOVE tool to put the point exactly where you want it to be.
Thank you, but that does not seem to work for me.

I'm attaching 3 screen caps. The first is the list of points. You can see that they are grey, but the title says that they are via points.

The second shows the window when I right click on one of those points. You can see that the list does not include changing from one kind of point to the other.

The third shows what I get when I choose "edit point" from that list. Again, I cannot change it.
brockville points.jpg
brockville points.jpg (79.79 KiB) Viewed 160 times
right click on point.jpg
right click on point.jpg (86.82 KiB) Viewed 160 times
edit via point.jpg
edit via point.jpg (96.37 KiB) Viewed 160 times
Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON Canada
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I have seen what your images show but only in routes that were not created in Basecamp. Unknowns to me are:
1. Whether using Basecamp to create the routes while the XT2 is attached is having an impact on the way the route points are created.
2. Whether you can install the map to the PC from the XT2 using Garmin Express. This is the ideal scenario. Map manipulation in Basecamp will be quicker and not require the XT2 be attached.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

The Start and End Points are (alerting) via points by definition - you cannot change them to (non-alerting) shaping points. A right-click on the intermediate points will show the option to toggle the alerting status.
arrow.png
arrow.png (61.4 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Your display is missing a lot of info about the route points. If you click and drag the line the arrow is pointing to you can move it to the right to see the complete name and alert status. Or right-click that header bar to reset it.
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

In Basecamp, the only way to tell whether a point is a shaping point or a via point is in that dialog box that @lkraus has shown.

Via points are in black lettering. The points alert on arrival.
Shaping points are in a lighter, grey lettering, These say (won't alert..)

The symbol used does not mean anything.

On the XT, Vias are shown as flags. Shaping points appear as small blue discs.

Note that the heading on that dialogue box says 'Via Point Name'. Ignore that - the table contains Via and Shaping points. I think that is something that was carried over from Mapsource - Basecamp's predecessor which used only Via Points. It was never corrected.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Not sure if this is your issue but note that you cannot change via BaseCamp routes on your device, you need to make the changes before sending the route.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

gwilki wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:14 pm
Thank you, but that does not seem to work for me.

I'm attaching 3 screen caps. The first is the list of points. You can see that they are grey, but the title says that they are via points.
Ignore the title. Trust me.
gwilki wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:14 pm The second shows the window when I right click on one of those points. You can see that the list does not include changing from one kind of point to the other.
The first and last points, called "the Start" and "the Destination" points are always via points and cannot be changed. Follow the instructions you were given for every point between theses two.
gwilki wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:14 pm The third shows what I get when I choose "edit point" from that list. Again, I cannot change it.
Don't do this. Simply right click a point and select as pictured above.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:36 am Not sure if this is your issue but note that you cannot change via BaseCamp routes on your device, you need to make the changes before sending the route.
Yet another reason to store routes on the SD card and not in internal memory ;) . Points can be changed in a route stored on my device's SD card while it is still inserted in my XT.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
gwilki
Canada

Post by gwilki »

Peobody wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:45 am I have seen what your images show but only in routes that were not created in Basecamp. Unknowns to me are:
1. Whether using Basecamp to create the routes while the XT2 is attached is having an impact on the way the route points are created.
2. Whether you can install the map to the PC from the XT2 using Garmin Express. This is the ideal scenario. Map manipulation in Basecamp will be quicker and not require the XT2 be attached.
Tks much
1. I created the route in Basecamp and the Zumo was not connected at the time.

2. I had previously installed the map to the PC from the Zumo using Express. They are both showing the same map version.
Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON Canada