Basecamp and via points/shaping points

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 614 times
Great Britain

Re: Basecamp and via points/shaping points

Post by jfheath »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:02 am Yet another reason to store routes on the SD card and not in internal memory ;) . Points can be changed in a route stored on my device's SD card while it is still inserted in my XT.
Ditto routes. Apparently.

I avoided using the SD card until very recently - so I wasn't aware of this. Thanks.

With the SD card route selected in BC, you can load the route, show the dialog box and change names and via and shaping, and and delete points. Without disconnecting the USB cable, you can view the gpx file and see that it has changed.

Of course, you have to import the route into the XT once the XT is restarted, so it is possible to get 2 different versions with the same name. I'm trying to decide how useful this is.

But one thing springs to mind. It means you can edit the route in BC and see immediately the effect of the edit in the GPX file.
I think @FrankB's investigation int subclasses may find this useful - unless subclasses are only set after import.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

jfheath wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:58 pm I think @FrankB's investigation int subclasses may find this useful - unless subclasses are only set after import.
Thanks for the pointer John. Running out of time lately, so dont think I will investigate much! Just a few questions:
- Does this also apply to the XT. (The topic is in the XT2 section)
- Is this is a solution/workaround for the 'Renaming Shaping/Via points'?
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 614 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

FrankB wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:54 am
jfheath wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:58 pm I think @FrankB's investigation int subclasses may find this useful - unless subclasses are only set after import.
Thanks for the pointer John. Running out of time lately, so dont think I will investigate much! Just a few questions:
- Does this also apply to the XT. (The topic is in the XT2 section)
- Is this is a solution/workaround for the 'Renaming Shaping/Via points'?
I won't be backtracking on it either - but its useful to note that you might be able to see instantly the effect on the gpx file of making a change to the route. A lot would depend on whether the data that you are looking at is altered after import..

But yes regarding the XT, I put a route from BC to the SD card on my XT and looked at the GPX file in a text editor. Made changes in BC - via/shaping and route point names - and looked at the gpx file again and the gpx file contained the changes. But that is all that I tried. It seems to be working on the gpx file directly - so once the Zumo is disconnected, the route is not available in the BC database.

I must say - because I never used to use the SD card, I never even considered that as a possibility and had assumed that BC would create the gpx file on saving to the SD card rather than act on it directly. Dangerous things, assumptions.

Thanks again, Russ !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.