396 recognises UK destination, then sends me to France!

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Beery1
Has liked: 5 times
Great Britain

396 recognises UK destination, then sends me to France!

Post by Beery1 »

Been planning a trip on my 396, i type in the waypoint - in this case Colburn, a small village on North Yorkshire - the sat nav correctly identifies it, i click OK, the sat nav then shows the map with waypoint on a village called kilbannon in ireland! Then changed the destination to Hornby - sat nav found it (Hornby, N.Yorks) i click OK so it shows the place on the map - lo and behold the waypoint’s set to a place called Jux (in France i think)! Happened multiple times today and yesterday and Jux seems to be a random favourite! Anyone any ideas?
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 614 times
Great Britain

Re: 396 recognises UK destination, then sends me to France!

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forum !

I cannot get my XT to do this, or give the promps that you mention. (I know yours is a 396)
So I think I need a bit more information please

How are you creating the Waypoint ? Is this adding a point to a route ?
Is it adding a new point to favourites.
Is it building a route from scratch.

I assume that you are doing this just using the Zumo 396 in your hand - or is there another program involved ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Beery1
Great Britain

Post by Beery1 »

Cheers. Yeah i’m only using the 396 in hand - no other apps involved.

Clicking ‘where to?’ Icon > trip planner > new trip > leave start location alone and clicking ‘add location’ then entering place name in the search box to find the place. I type it, when the sat nav finds the correct name (i’m 100% it’s correct as it shows the correct county), i then press the place name so it then shows it on the map at which point it shows me the wrong place entirely.

Doesn’t always happen by any means but frequently enough to make it unusable when closely planning routes on B roads.

Make sense?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok thanks.

I have tried to reproduce this on the 590, the 595 and the XT. The only difference is that I select the Apps tool to get to Trip planner, rather than 'Where To?' I could not reproduce what you have observed. That doesn't mean that I don't believe you - it is clearly happening - but I don't understand what it can be doing.

I have a few straws that are alwyas worth clutching at.

1. In setting -> Map & Navigation, My Maps. Try unticking any maps that are not the naviagable ones for Europe. So keeo CNU Europe NTU - bothe of them - north and south - and untick everything else. If you have your own (non -garmin ) maps installed (eg OSM) , then definitely untick that - becasue that is guarateed to cause problems if you have two maps for the same area ticked.

2. Has the satnav got a good fix of where you are now ?

3. Do you have any Favourites saved that migth be interfering ?

4. Take out any SD card that you have in the Zumo

5. Perform a complete system reset, and try again. Note - you will loses some of your data - if you like to keep your active track logs, then make sure that you backup your GPX\CurrentTrackLog.gpx AND the entire contents of the Archive folder in the same location.
I suggest that you manually delete Position.gpx, Current.gpx, temp,gpx from InternalStorage/GPX. These will get re-created once the Zumo retstarts.

I'll mention @MSTOCK27370 . I know that he has a Zumo 396. He might call in with a brilliant suggestion or be able to confirm the behaviour. Or @Fxwheels is UK based - maybe he could carry out the identical experiment on his 396 with the same maps.

By mentioning them, they may get alerted to the fact that I am talking about them behind their backs and join in to help. I'm struggling for ideas since I have never set eyes on a 396.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Beery1
Great Britain

Post by Beery1 »

Brilliant many thanks. Will try all those and report back here 👍
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

jfheath wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:08 pm
I'll mention @MSTOCK27370 . I know that he has a Zumo 396. He might call in with a brilliant suggestion or be able to confirm the behaviour. Or @Fxwheels is UK based - maybe he could carry out the identical experiment on his 396 with the same maps.

By mentioning them, they may get alerted to the fact that I am talking about them behind their backs and join in to help. I'm struggling for ideas since I have never set eyes on a 396.
Sneaky!!! Just saw this post - late in the evening. I will take a look at my 396 tomorrow. If I understand this, the OP is trying to create a trip on the Zumo, by selecting a waypoint as the destination, but sometimes the destination gets changed to somewhere else.

I will report back.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Tried it on my 396. Using the "Where to option" and using the "Search near" option search area at the top right of the screen. Have CN EU 2025.10 as the mapping and 3.60 software.

When you see "Colburn" or "Hornby", I'll guess you select the address that shows as an option, which is just below the search area, rather than selecting the magnifying glass at the bottom to search for it? If you use the magnifying glass, it gives much more sensible answers

BTW used to have an Aunt who lived in Ricmond, the one near to Colburn.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for this. He says he leaves the start alone and adds a new location. The implication is that he starts to enter a name and selects the one that matches his intent from the displayed alternatives. The map display of the location is correct, but subsequently it alters .

Beery1
Great Britain

Post by Beery1 »

Just done all that… factory reset, no extra maps, decent signal, also turned off history when prompted which apparently turns off some sort of predictive find function. Then i clicked > where to > trip planner > new trip > + add location (no start location) entered ‘leyburn’ as 2nd location (first location i clicked a point on the map) - it found ‘leyburn, n.yorks’ so i clicked on that and it brought up a list of locations… none of which were leyburn in n.yorks! All suggested locations were in europe - closest being 429m away!
Last edited by Beery1 on Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beery1
Great Britain

Post by Beery1 »

Yeah, i’m trying to plan routes via the device so using trip planner.

Software on mine is v3.60.
Installed maps: cn europe ntu 2025.10 all north and all south