396 recognises UK destination, then sends me to France!

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Re: 396 recognises UK destination, then sends me to France!

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

Here's what I tried on my 396 this morning. Map is CN NA 2025.10, USA and Canada, device firmware is up to date.

I tried Where To. Selected search for a City. Entered a city that's about 80 miles away. Search results showed that city first and then others with the same name in other parts of the USA. Selected the first city and a route to that city was planned.

I tried Trip Planner, add a trip. Add a destination, left the starting point alone, and searched for the same city. I got the same search results and selected the first city. I got a route and a 2nd option to select a shorter distance, longer time route.

The only oddball thing that happened, in both cases, as soon as I got a route result, a message popped up that a fuel stop has occurred do I want to reset the fuel tank. I'm in my garage, and there's no gas station nearby. ???

So reading some of the comments, two thoughts come to my mind.
1. It sounds like the location you are trying to route to is not on the maps that you have installed. Are they?
2. I have always created my routes with Basecamp. I have never even attempted to build a multi-stop route on any Zumo I have owned. Have you tried to build this trip on Basecamp?
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 614 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Beery1 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:14 am Then i clicked > where to > trip planner > new trip > + add location (no start location) entered ‘leyburn’ as 2nd location (first location i clicked a point on the map) - it found ‘leyburn, n.yorks’ so i clicked on that and it brought up a list of locations… none of which were leyburn in n.yorks!
Aha.

Now - remember I don't have the 396. But my 590, 595 and XT all do the same thing - in slightly different ways. The 396 came out between the 595 and the XT.

I select Apps->Trip Planner etc.

Now I remember it took me ages to spot this particular feature. But as you type in L --- E --- Y ---- B etc there is a scroll bar displayed above the keyboard which displays likely candidates. This form the XT - I had to scroll left/right with the pointers. I then selected Leyburn, N. Yorks from that banner. It found the correct one, and kept the correct one.

If I select the green magnifying glass, bottom right, then the Zumo searches its database for whatever you typed. I don't know, but this seems to be getting the data from elsewhere. FourSquare is the database used on the XT and that seems to cause all sorts of issues at different times for different people. But if you scroll across the alternatives, and choose Leyburn, N.Yorks from that by tapping the word on the scroll bar - that seems to behave much better.

135917.png
135917.png (31.67 KiB) Viewed 150 times

In the above, note the little tear drop icon to the left of the white banner. This is another button that is hiding in plain sight. It presents itself in different forms on different Zumos, but it is still there. On one of mine it is accompanied by the caption 'Searchin Near'.

And that is exactly what it does. It tells the Zumo where it has to search for whatever you are typing in.
Options are to search near to:

My Active Route
My Destination
Upcoming Exits
Where I am Now
A different town
A Post code
A recent destination
A favourite

Give that button a tap, see if you can get it to produce a better list.

Finally, on the right of my image there is a map icon. On my 595, I don't get this, but i do get two tabs down the right hand side of the map which changes the 'search a list' view, to a 'search the map' view.

These are more straws to clutch at. I don't know the answer because I cannot reproduce the problem - but these little features are some things that could be affecting your results - and both are things that I ignored for a long time. I didn't realise that they were buttons that I could press.

136657.png
136657.png (20.34 KiB) Viewed 150 times

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Beery1 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:14 am Just done all that… factory reset, no extra maps, decent signal, also turned off history when prompted which apparently turns off some sort of predictive find function. Then i clicked > where to > trip planner > new trip > + add location (no start location) entered ‘leyburn’ as 2nd location (first location i clicked a point on the map) - it found ‘leyburn, n.yorks’ so i clicked on that and it brought up a list of locations… none of which were leyburn in n.yorks! All suggested locations were in europe - closest being 429m away!
Have you tried the using the search option (at the bottom) rather than the option it comes up with? Takes a while longer, but comes up with believable answers.
Beery1
Has liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Beery1 »

MSTOCK27370 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:36 pm Here's what I tried on my 396 this morning. Map is CN NA 2025.10, USA and Canada, device firmware is up to date.

I tried Where To. Selected search for a City. Entered a city that's about 80 miles away. Search results showed that city first and then others with the same name in other parts of the USA. Selected the first city and a route to that city was planned.

I tried Trip Planner, add a trip. Add a destination, left the starting point alone, and searched for the same city. I got the same search results and selected the first city. I got a route and a 2nd option to select a shorter distance, longer time route.

The only oddball thing that happened, in both cases, as soon as I got a route result, a message popped up that a fuel stop has occurred do I want to reset the fuel tank. I'm in my garage, and there's no gas station nearby. ???

So reading some of the comments, two thoughts come to my mind.
1. It sounds like the location you are trying to route to is not on the maps that you have installed. Are they?
2. I have always created my routes with Basecamp. I have never even attempted to build a multi-stop route on any Zumo I have owned. Have you tried to build this trip on Basecamp?
Thanks for all your efforts…

Yeah basecamp works but was looking to use the built-in trip planner for when i’m on a multiday tour of europe.
Yep, the locations i’m trying to route to are all on the sat nav. It suggests them while i’m typing often and i select them from that panel of suggestions below the freetype window. It’s after that that it weirds out!
Beery1
Great Britain

Post by Beery1 »

jfheath wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:37 pm
Beery1 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:14 am Then i clicked > where to > trip planner > new trip > + add location (no start location) entered ‘leyburn’ as 2nd location (first location i clicked a point on the map) - it found ‘leyburn, n.yorks’ so i clicked on that and it brought up a list of locations… none of which were leyburn in n.yorks!
Aha.

Now - remember I don't have the 396. But my 590, 595 and XT all do the same thing - in slightly different ways. The 396 came out between the 595 and the XT.

I select Apps->Trip Planner etc.

Now I remember it took me ages to spot this particular feature. But as you type in L --- E --- Y ---- B etc there is a scroll bar displayed above the keyboard which displays likely candidates. This form the XT - I had to scroll left/right with the pointers. I then selected Leyburn, N. Yorks from that banner. It found the correct one, and kept the correct one.

If I select the green magnifying glass, bottom right, then the Zumo searches its database for whatever you typed. I don't know, but this seems to be getting the data from elsewhere. FourSquare is the database used on the XT and that seems to cause all sorts of issues at different times for different people. But if you scroll across the alternatives, and choose Leyburn, N.Yorks from that by tapping the word on the scroll bar - that seems to behave much better.

In the above, note the little tear drop icon to the left of the white banner. This is another button that is hiding in plain sight. It presents itself in different forms on different Zumos, but it is still there. On one of mine it is accompanied by the caption 'Searchin Near'.

And that is exactly what it does. It tells the Zumo where it has to search for whatever you are typing in.
Options are to search near to:

My Active Route
My Destination
Upcoming Exits
Where I am Now
A different town
A Post code
A recent destination
A favourite

Give that button a tap, see if you can get it to produce a better list.

Finally, on the right of my image there is a map icon. On my 595, I don't get this, but i do get two tabs down the right hand side of the map which changes the 'search a list' view, to a 'search the map' view.

These are more straws to clutch at. I don't know the answer because I cannot reproduce the problem - but these little features are some things that could be affecting your results - and both are things that I ignored for a long time. I didn't realise that they were buttons that I could press.
Thanks lots. So i tried a v simple search this time. Clicked the ‘where to?’ Icon, then entered Leyburn straight into the white search box on next screen (hopefully the image attachment works!)
IMG_3247.jpeg
IMG_3247.jpeg (693.48 KiB) Viewed 141 times
It then finds the place as i’m typing so i select the correct place ‘leyburn, n.yorks’…
IMG_3248.jpeg
IMG_3248.jpeg (691.84 KiB) Viewed 141 times

And the results are wrong…
IMG_3244.jpeg
IMG_3244.jpeg (701.84 KiB) Viewed 141 times
Clicking the ‘searching near’ button as you suggested doesn’t make any difference unfortunately :(
Beery1
Great Britain

Post by Beery1 »

Hmmm. Just experimented with the green search button. If i type in ‘leyburn’ then don’t click on the suggested ‘leyburn, n.yorks’ option below it but click on the green/white magnifying glass button instead, it seems to display POI results around the correct leyburn - just not the town itself. Weirder and weirder…
IMG_3249.jpeg
IMG_3249.jpeg (707.73 KiB) Viewed 140 times
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

OK thanks for trying those. So now we have found another way that doesn't work.

I wonder what makes it think that you are in France ?

Did you try turning off any of the maps apart from two the CN Europe NTU maps ?

Try (take backups first if you need to)

Delete all your Favourites
Delete all your tracks
Delete all of your routes
Delete History.

Connect to a computer, in Internal Storage/GPX - delete position.gpx, temp.gpx and Current.gpx

Let the ZUmo restart. IT will take a few minutes to get a satellite signal - cos it has no idea where you are having deleted Position.gpx

When it has found you, hold the power button in and close it down again. Reboot it again.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Beery1
Great Britain

Post by Beery1 »

jfheath wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:20 pm OK thanks for trying those. So now we have found another way that doesn't work.

I wonder what makes it think that you are in France ?

Did you try turning off any of the maps apart from two the CN Europe NTU maps ?

Try (take backups first if you need to)

Delete all your Favourites
Delete all your tracks
Delete all of your routes
Delete History.

Connect to a computer, in Internal Storage/GPX - delete position.gpx, temp.gpx and Current.gpx

Let the ZUmo restart. IT will take a few minutes to get a satellite signal - cos it has no idea where you are having deleted Position.gpx

When it has found you, hold the power button in and close it down again. Reboot it again.
Well i took a backup and did a factory reset so i guess that should’ve achieved all you suggest? Or do i still need to delete those gpx files manually?

Only two maps are installed as per post above (europe north and south)
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Factory reset will reset those files.

I am out of ideas if it is still doing the same thing.
Except - what are the language settings ? Clearly an english language, but USA ?
I thought that there was a locale setting - but ....
Home ? That should be cleared by the rest.

Let me recap.
You search for a location eg Leyburn
You select the Leyburn N.Yorks from the banner
The Zumo gives a list which does not include Leyburn, N Yorks, but does give Leyburns in other countries.

Is that correct ?

I note the screenshots have a search criteria. Can you change that to a different location or Where You Are now, see if the behaviour changes.

Beery1
Great Britain

Post by Beery1 »

jfheath wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:48 am Factory reset will reset those files.

I am out of ideas if it is still doing the same thing.
Except - what are the language settings ? Clearly an english language, but USA ?
I thought that there was a locale setting - but ....
Home ? That should be cleared by the rest.

Let me recap.
You search for a location eg Leyburn
You select the Leyburn N.Yorks from the banner
The Zumo gives a list which does not include Leyburn, N Yorks, but does give Leyburns in other countries.

Is that correct ?

I note the screenshots have a search criteria. Can you change that to a different location or Where You Are now, see if the behaviour changes.
Text and keyboard language settings both on British English.

As to your recap - correct except the results don’t show any leyburns at all. Just totally different named places in different countries with no apparent similarity.