XT Routes & Trips

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
HMA14
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

XT Routes & Trips

Post by HMA14 »

Hello all: I'm a Land Surveyor and am proficient with many different mapping devices and software, but this thing is giving me a headache! I want to follow a route from a .gpx file. I can get the file into Zumo, when I turn it on I get the "Route contains...." image attached. I have hit both "Split" and "convert". I then get the "cannot..." image attached. I also get the "Detailed maps...." and "cannot unlock maps" error message. Under "saved tracks" the route is split up into 50 -60 sections that seem to in order of proximity to current location, not in linear order. Can someone please help. I just want to transfer the .gpx file and have it show up as one continuous route. Please help! Thanks in advance.
Attachments
20240401_170415.jpg
20240401_170415.jpg (251.35 KiB) Viewed 249 times
20240401_170415.jpg
20240401_170415.jpg (251.35 KiB) Viewed 249 times
20240401_170121.jpg
20240401_170121.jpg (305.48 KiB) Viewed 249 times
jfheath
Has liked: 282 times
Been liked: 615 times
Great Britain

Re: XT Routes & Trips

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forums.

Two things ...

1. It is probable that there is an issue with the gpx file that you have.
where did you get it from - or how was it created ie what software

2. The cannot unlock maps message is weird. Is this a brand new Zumo XT, or second hand ? which maps are loaded, do you know ? I doubt that you will get anywhere with loading routes until the maps are sorted.

On the XT select system and the map section Mymaps. see if any are listed, what they are and which are ticked..

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
HMA14
United States of America

Post by HMA14 »

1. It is probable that there is an issue with the gpx file that you have.
where did you get it from - or how was it created ie what software
I've tried multiple files. Some created by me, (GPX Studio), some by others. Those created by others work with other mapping devises / software. Here's one of the others: https://sites.google.com/view/vman1313/thedsat

2. The cannot unlock maps message is weird. Is this a brand new Zumo XT, or second hand ? which maps are loaded, do you know ? I doubt that you will get anywhere with loading routes until the maps are sorted.
I bought it new 6 months ago. "TopoActive PS NA, US" installed and checked. There are others that don't apply to my area and aren't checked.

On the XT select system and the map section Mymaps. see if any are listed, what they are and which are ticked.

As stated: They seem to work, but they are split up into numerous sections that aren't contiguous or in linear order. I suppose I could do one section at a time, but this would be very time consuming and aggravating. There has to be a way.

Thanks for your help.
HMA14
United States of America

Post by HMA14 »

Also: When I boot it up, I get "Detailed maps are required for routing. No detailed maps were found on this devise". This just started.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

HMA14 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:15 pm They seem to work, but they are split up into numerous sections that aren't contiguous or in linear order.
I don't know what this means. Below are images of the MyMaps display on my XT for the U.S. Note that I have the map "CN North America NT 2025.10 All Canada and Mexico" unticked because I don't expect to ever ride in those countries. Also know that only the "CN North America NT 2025.10 All US" and "CN North America NT 2025.10 All Canada and Mexico" maps a routable.
12173[1].png
12173[1].png (128.18 KiB) Viewed 206 times
12694[1].png
12694[1].png (143.7 KiB) Viewed 206 times

Sorry about the overlap of the MyMaps list in the two pictures.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
HMA14
United States of America

Post by HMA14 »

It means that a +-350 mile route is split into 63 sections that appear in "Saved Tracks" in the order of their proximity to my current location. I want to be able to make this one continuous route on Zumo as it appears on BC and several other mapping apps.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

HMA14 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:15 pm Here's one of the others: https://sites.google.com/view/vman1313/thedsat
I have downloaded this .gpx file and loaded it into Basecamp. It is made up of 59 routes, many of them containing the word "copy" in their name. Each of those routes contains a crazy number of route points (eg: "Untitled Route 1" contains 25 route points in 1.8 miles, "Untitled Route 2" contains 212 route points in 13.4 miles).

Each route point is assigned the "Direct" routing profile which means no calculation is being done; just the direction to the next route point.
Edit: It dawned on me that his makes sense since the route is off-road so is questionable whether it would be navigable by the XT.

The route points are different from waypoint created in Basecamp, which is my only experience, so I am unable to tell whether they are being considered Via points by the XT. I suspect that they are considering the reference in the first post to "too many stops". The XT can only handle 29 as the popup notice indicated. So, the number of Via points in each route is hurdle number 1.

Basecamp has the ability to combine routes, so, theoretically you could do that to get one route but the route points appear to be sequentially number, the highest being 6338. I believe that is an unreasonable amount to attempt to do anything with and a crazy amount for 390 miles.

The above was a long way of saying that the .gpx file from Vman1313 Adventures is not suitable for use with the XT. I know that you are then wondering how to tell whether a .gpx file is suitable. I don't have an answer for that. All of mine have come from motorcycle riders or motorcycling sites. If from sites, I load and review in Basecamp first.
HMA14
United States of America

Post by HMA14 »

Thanks. The route is not off road. Some of the roads are dirt, but they all are public roads. I get what you are saying, but this should not be a problem for a top of the line unit like this. Again, the routes show up and are navigable, but they are not in linear order, so using them is a pain.

I haven't had much success with BC either. Can you show me how to make them continuous?
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

HMA14 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:47 pm I haven't had much success with BC either. Can you show me how to make them continuous?
I deleted them after looking at them but from what I remember, there were a bunch of copies which I assume are not needed. So, considering the others, if you select all of them and then right-click > "Join the Selected Route", the resulting popup will allow you to place them in the correct order. An unknown though is whether the sequential number of the routes is indeed the correct sequence if connected. Also, if I were to do this, I would rename all of the routes that have a single digit, prefixing the digit with a zero (eg: "Untitled Route 1" renamed to "Untitled Route 01") so that they are listed sequentially in Basecamp. If they are correctly sequenced then, when you join the routes, the will already be in the correct order.

If you successfully join them, I think you still have the problem of the waypoints quantity. I don't have any experience with mapping products that don't know Shaping and Via points, which I think is what created these routes. My sense is that all of the points are going to be interpreted by the XT as Via points, which as previously mentioned, is limited to 29 per route.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I just reloaded that route from Vman1313 Adventures. The routes are NOT sequentially numbered in order of appearance from either end. You will need to sort that out before attempting to combine them into a contiguous route.

I had a thought that it might be easier to create a new route using their route line as a guide but starting from the Chattahoochee end I immediately ran into E Bank Rd that they routed on but Basecamp won't. I see why on Google Street View. You can see a closed gate visible. Once past that it took me about 20 minutes to roughly duplicate 152 miles of the route so I'm confident this is doable, albeit tedious.