Michelin map

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Strommino
Been liked: 4 times
Italy

Michelin map

Post by Strommino »

Hi everyone! Are there Michelin maps for Zumo and Basecamp? it is very convenient to be able to view the scenic roads
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Michelin map

Post by sussamb »

No
kernowing
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

Strommino wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:00 pm Hi everyone! Are there Michelin maps for Zumo and Basecamp? it is very convenient to be able to view the scenic roads
I use Google maps to find interesting roads in the area we wish to ride, then zoom in with Street View to check out the road, then if it looks good, include the road on a Basecamp route.
On our last bike tour in Spain I picked out an interesting, curvy road, my wife looked and said it looked like a farm track :shock: It turned out to be a fabulous ride as we headed from Northern Spain into Portugal via the Duoro Valley. It was the SA-330, a great ride!!
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Post by Les »

I use Mapsource for creating all my routes for my Zumo 660, (but Basecamp for my Camper 760 Nuvi unit).

The benefit of Mapsource is the ability to right click and view in Google Satellite Imagery on Google Maps, something sadly lacking with Basecamp.
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

No.

But read on.

I like mapping software - I use MemoryMaps and have the various Ordnance Survey maps at 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 plus the free to download 1:250,000 maps for the whole of the UK.

It also allows you to create your own maps and geo-reference them. So I got some screen shots of maps which contain scenic roads and built them into a massive JPG file so that I could scan around scenic roads on the computer screen and draw a track of some that I might want to follow. I made these into a gpx file which I could then load into basecamp - simply to identify the apporximate location of these roads and plot my route using the tracks - purely as guides.

Myrouteapp (gold) will display michelin maps and as you zoom in some of the green scenic routes become visible - but they are not visible when you zoom out - which makes it not so useful when planning a longish ride and you are trying to find roads that are 'on the way'.

Zumo does have a facility for displaying custom maps. I have never used it, but I've just been looking at it. There are detailed instructions in the link below. Basically, you use Google Earth Pro to display a particular map that you wish to use - I assume including the overlays - and you create an image of that map. A jpg file.

Then you use google earth to align the jpg image corners with the actual coordinates on the google earth screen. (You make the image semitransparent while you are doing this). Aligning these gives your image 4 georeference points, which the Zumo can use to locate it in its screen.

It then describes how to get this into your XT. It says that the image appears on the Zumo screen in a way similar to birds eye imagery. And of course you can select it and deselect it as you wish.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=x ... HYGZ78cNI8

I will have a go at doing this - but not right now. I've got a motorbike to play with !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Les wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:05 am I use Mapsource for creating all my routes for my Zumo 660, (but Basecamp for my Camper 760 Nuvi unit).

The benefit of Mapsource is the ability to right click and view in Google Satellite Imagery on Google Maps, something sadly lacking with Basecamp.
Easy enough to do although as you say no longer able to do it directly from within BaseCamp. I export data I want to view in Google Earth as a .kml file then you can import that into GE. Note you can export multiple routes, waypoints etc as one .kml file so don't need to do it for every separate piece of data.
Strommino
Italy

Re: mappa Michelin

Post by Strommino »

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm already the a myroute-app user since it was practically born! I've always found it very good because I've always used Tomtom, but now that I'm trying to switch to Zumo I read that it would be better to do the routes with the same maps that you have in Zumo and therefore in Basecamp if the navigator is connected! I will make my first trip with Zumo next week in Corsica, accompanied by my trusty Tomtom 550 which has never let me down, for now I have prepared the itinerary with MRA and then sorted it out in Basecamp, because some steps were not exactly as I had planned them in MRA, despite using the Here! evidently the Tomtom maps on MRA and the calculation method are closer to reality than the Here maps are if you send the itinerary directly to the Zumo, without first having viewed and checked it in Basecamp! That's why I asked for the Michelin maps, I rely a lot on these and all the POIs I have in my collections. And I would have liked to avoid making two passes!
Attachments
IMG_0858.jpeg
IMG_0858.jpeg (154.45 KiB) Viewed 173 times
IMG_0859.jpeg
IMG_0859.jpeg (204.75 KiB) Viewed 173 times
IMG_0860.jpeg
IMG_0860.jpeg (176.06 KiB) Viewed 173 times
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

kernowing wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:56 am I use Google maps to find interesting roads in the area we wish to ride, then zoom in with Street View to check out the road, then if it looks good, include the road on a Basecamp route.
I do this as well, but no only for road selection. I find Street View especially valuable when selecting stops for food and rest rooms to make sure they look suitable for my wife.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Strommino wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:41 am I'm already the a myroute-app user since it was practically born! I've always found it very good because I've always used Tomtom, but now that I'm trying to switch to Zumo I read that it would be better to do the routes with the same maps that you have in Zumo and therefore in Basecamp if the navigator is connected!
I was looking for ways of getting the Scenic Routes on your computer screen.
There are issues using MRA routes - that people manage to work around. But if you like the way that Basecamp creates routes for the Zumo, then MRA doesn't come close to it. Don't get me wrong, it produces some good results but there are certain key parts of the route files that are missing for the way that I like to work.

BUT you could use the michelin maps on MRA - becasue they have the green scenic routes plotted. Create a track and that will mark the identical roads in BAsecamp from which you can plot the route.

MY suggestion about using custom maps turns out to be a lot of hard work. I've just managed to get some Orandnance Survey very detailed maps into Basecamp. Not yet into the XT - it seem I may have exceeded the image size. If that is the case, then it means piecing together quite a lot of images.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Strommino
Italy

Post by Strommino »

Questo è esattamente quello che faccio, importo il file gpx in Basecamp, visualizzo sia la traccia che il percorso e adeguo il percorso in base alla traccia, sperando che un ricalcolo di Zumo non mi rovini le cose! Quale impostazione pensi sia meglio mantenere nelle opzioni di calcolo del percorso?

chiedere
non ricalcolare
automaticamente

Moderator - Google translate

That's exactly what I do, I import the gpx file into Basecamp, view both the track and the route and adjust the route according to the track, hoping that a recalculation of Zumo doesn't ruin things for me! Which setting do you think is best to keep in the route calculation options?

ask
Don't recalculate
automatically

@Strommino - This is an English speaking forum - please post your comments in English. Use Google Translate if necessary.