Why is the Zumo XT so difficult to use?

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
Bwill166
United States of America

Why is the Zumo XT so difficult to use?

Post by Bwill166 »

I am considering returning my Zumo XT as it isnt easy to use. Maybe someone can help. I am a different rider than most it seams. I dont use a full face helmet with an ear piece. I use the Harley Infotainment for audio. Their Nav sucks which is why I went with the Zumo XT. I play music thru the Harley radio with the use of a memory stick. Can i get the Zumo XT turn directions to come thru the stereo? It is just so difficult to use. Please help.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Why is the Zumo XT so difficult to use?

Post by Peobody »

Bwill166 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:43 am Can i get the Zumo XT turn directions to come thru the stereo?
Only if the Harley Infotainment system will connect to the XT via bluetooth and can receive then broadcast transmissions from the XT like a headset. An unknown to me is how the XT identifies a paired device as a headset. If the Harley system has an AUX input, pairing a bluetooth receiver to the XT and then connecting the receiver to the AUX input could work.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:39 pm An unknown to me is how the XT identifies a paired device as a headset.
I can answer that. I have two such devices:
A standard BT headset which I use with the XT when testing - to ensure phone calls come through OK when I am setting things up at my desk..
And a Bluetooth module - A BTM03 made by Autocom.

The BTM03 goes into pairing mode as soon as it gets power, and searches for about a minute - pairing with the first thing that responds.
I used this for my wired intercom system - an Autocom SuperAvi Pro. When I got the XT, I never thought that it wouldn't have any way of connecting to headsets - except via BT. The BTM03 provided the answer. Sort of. I was in the habit of turning on the ignition to accessories so that everything started up without having the engine running and annoying neighbours. When I hit the ignition, it dropped the power to the BTM03 low enough to trigger a new search. So after a minute it lost its connection to the XT. Tha answer was to turn on the ignition and start the bike. It all worked smoothly then.

Anyone tuning in that is interested - I wrote something for another forum member who wanted to know something similar.

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1562

The BT headset - that pairs when you hold in the power button for a second. You accept the pairing from the XT screen.

Subsequently, once paired, if the two devices are on at the same time, they pair up automatically.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Bwill166 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:43 am I am considering returning my Zumo XT as it isnt easy to use. Maybe someone can help. I am a different rider than most it seams. I dont use a full face helmet with an ear piece. I use the Harley Infotainment for audio. Their Nav sucks which is why I went with the Zumo XT. I play music thru the Harley radio with the use of a memory stick. Can i get the Zumo XT turn directions to come thru the stereo? It is just so difficult to use. Please help.
I haven't got a clue about this - but this page might give you some suggestions.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-tou ... tions.html

The Bluetooth settings on the XT are quite informative, and easily controllable.
I suggest that you initiate the pairing on the HD and then let the XT search for new devices.

For each device on the XT screen, the XT will list what features it has available and whether or not they are active. You can turn on and off each feature individually, so if your phone has music and your HD device has music - you get to control from the XT screen which device you want as the source of your music.

Eg - This is a screen shot of my XT having paired with my phone (Galaxy A41) and my Cardo Edge headset (Rider Edge 1).

The symbols in blue are the features that are available on each device. If they are shown in black then that feature is not connected.
By selecting and item (eg Galaxy A41) I can break the connection for individual features. Eg - If I don't want the music to be active from the phone over BT.

XT-BT.png
XT-BT.png (44.29 KiB) Viewed 448 times

This screen also makes it easy to diagnose a problem because it shows you exactly what is connected and what isn't. Sometimes it is necessary to unpair a device and pair it again - if a particular feature was not connected in time when it was first being paired. Genrally, the XT conencts first time every time with devices that it is paired with. If it doesn't then it is usually to do with a device having been paired before with something else, and it found that device first. That is a common probelm when trying to set it up in the house. The solution is to do it away from other devices, or to go round turning every other BT device off so that the XT and your other devices can establish a proper conenction.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.