Garmin Listened!!!!

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
technoguppy
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 24 times
Canada

Garmin Listened!!!!

Post by technoguppy »

The Tread app has been updated! I say again THE TREAD APP HAS BEEN UPDATED!!

I report with some reservation that Garmin (seems to have ) listened to its users! I have not tested this against an actual run on my motorcycle (it's March in Canada so another few weeks) but I will test that it hasn't (or won't) do anything to my BaseCamp routes loaded on the unit.

App Version 2.08.29 has some modifications that may have preceded this version but it is the version I have and it has ONE notable change.

After pairing with the unit I now have the OPTION (Yes the option you read that right) to NOT sync my routes and stuff with between my phone and the XT2. This means that I can continue to get and use Smart Notifications without the Tread app mucking with my routes (which I did in BaseCamp). It should also mean I can use things like traffic and weather too!!!

This was the big one (for me). Previously, Tread would grab your routes via SYNC, "import" them to the phone (which really meant they were changing them without your knowledge), and they SYNC the "updated" routes to your unit. Very disheartening to have your well planned route arbitrarily and unknowingly changed. Well NOT anymore!!

You can see that the "RECOMMENDED" setup would include Garmin Explore but if you never enable it, it can't mess with you!!
Screenshot_20240324_103239_Tread.jpg
Screenshot_20240324_103239_Tread.jpg (151.1 KiB) Viewed 906 times
Screenshot_20240324_103214_Tread.jpg
Screenshot_20240324_103214_Tread.jpg (128.31 KiB) Viewed 906 times
You can see below the version is 2.08.29 (from Google Play Store 23-Mar-2024)
Screenshot_20240324_103151_Tread.jpg
Screenshot_20240324_103151_Tread.jpg (96.91 KiB) Viewed 906 times
Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
Sean OZ
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 4 times
Australia

Re: Garmin Listened!!!!

Post by Sean OZ »

At least that makes the tread app "useful" in someways. I still don't understand why they couldn't just make evrything so much easier for all involved, by having a desktop version of the tread app.

It's bloody pathetic of Garmin to bring out this high end Gps/Sat Nav (The XT2) and then expect nearly everyone, to plan a route or a track, on a tiny phone screen! :(
Sean OZ
Australia

Post by Sean OZ »

I just now re-loaded the Tread App (Version 2.08.29) back onto my iPhone XR and paired the app to my XT2.

I was never, at any stage of the Tread App install for my phone, given an option "to NOT sync my routes"

I've once again completely deleted the dreaded 'Tread App" form my iPhone.

I'm not sure if it has something to do with being located in Australia.
technoguppy
Canada

Post by technoguppy »

Here is what I did that yield my results (it may not be true for you).

I did do a factory reset on my XT2 before re-installing the Tread App. I repaired everything but when I paired my phone and my headset I skipped the Tread app on the first setup (not that it matters I think). I then came back and paired the Tread app with the XT2 using the QR code.

The glaring difference is Apple to Android. The two apps may not behave the same across platforms.
Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
Gelo
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time
Spain

Post by Gelo »

Sean OZ wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:29 am I just now re-loaded the Tread App (Version 2.08.29) back onto my iPhone XR and paired the app to my XT2.

I was never, at any stage of the Tread App install for my phone, given an option "to NOT sync my routes"

Totally agree. My mobile device is Android and I have uninstalled the application and reinstalled it and in the settings it does not appear "to NOT sync my routes" .
Where are the official Garmin instructions?
Last edited by Gelo on Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
technoguppy
Canada

Post by technoguppy »

Gelo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:54 pm
Sean OZ wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:29 am I just now re-loaded the Tread App (Version 2.08.29) back onto my iPhone XR and paired the app to my XT2.

Totally agree. My mobile device is Android and I have uninstalled the application and reinstalled it and in the settings it does not appear "to NOT sync my routes" .
Did you factory reset your XT2?

I can assure you I didn't make up the screen shots. They are real. I would not wax poetic about the Tread app unless I saw it with my own two eyes!

It seems that you have to break the connection (some stored data in the unit) between your old Tread app and the new one. In my case, that was remedied by a FACTORY RESET of the UNIT (XT2). During the Tread App setup I opted out (did not setup) of using Garmin Explore (this I believe is what syncs between the unit and the app).
Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
Gelo
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time
Spain

Post by Gelo »

technoguppy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:55 pm

I can assure you I didn't make up the screen shots. They are real. I would not wax poetic about the Tread app unless I saw it with my own two eyes!

It seems that you have to break the connection (some stored data in the unit) between your old Tread app and the new one. In my case, that was remedied by a FACTORY RESET of the UNIT (XT2). During the Tread App setup I opted out (did not setup) of using Garmin Explore (this I believe is what syncs between the unit and the app).

I appreciate your information
Where are the official Garmin instructions on this matter?
technoguppy
Canada

Post by technoguppy »

Gelo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:08 pm
technoguppy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:55 pm

I appreciate your information
Where are the official Garmin instructions on this matter?
Go to Settings / Device / Reset / Delete Data and Reset Settings
Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Gelo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:08 pm Where are the official Garmin instructions on this matter?
This forum needs a ROFL emoji...

We are pretty much on our own. Garmin documentation is abysmal.
Australia

Post by Sean OZ »

lkraus wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:40 pm
Gelo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:08 pm Where are the official Garmin instructions on this matter?
This forum needs a ROFL emoji...

We are pretty much on our own. Garmin documentation is abysmal.
Same for any app update info (at least for an iPhone) The info provided about the update, is the same useless info over and over again.

"The Garmin Tread app is continually working to improve your experience" ...blah, blah, etc. But it never says what has been improved or updated and just says it's a "bug" fix. Has the same description for the past 20 or so updates.