Adding Symbols to your route and create collections

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Emile
Been liked: 1 time
Netherlands

Adding Symbols to your route and create collections

Post by Emile »

Hi guys,

As a former TomTom 550 user, I finally made the step to the Garmin Zūmo XT2. I have figured out some stuff and on request (dutch forum) documented it on my website. Please read if you're interested:

https://www.bumabuma.nl/motor/zumo_xt2.php

Warning: This is my way of working (without Basecamp)! Everybody has his own preferences!

I have also created a tool to get the most out of my Garmin (still extending) and this might be useful for others.
By adding some additional info in my routes in MRA and by naming the GPX files correctly, I can create one GPX containing all for a daytrip. By importing via Tread App it creates a nice collection per day.

https://www.bumabuma.nl/motor/zumo_xt2_poi2pic.php

Example output (shown exactly so on the XT2):
POI2PIC.png
POI2PIC.png (1.36 MiB) Viewed 884 times
I am happy to receive some feedback!
Emile
Netherlands

Re: Adding Symbols to your route and create collections

Post by Emile »

Nobody tried it?

Am I the only one with this need?
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Emile wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am Nobody tried it?

Am I the only one with this need?
You may be.

I prefer cleaner & simpler routes. Your map already look cluttered to me in your posted map screenshot, I can't imagine stuffing all that onto a small gps screen. I like to delete more of the symbols and labels for when I zoom in. I'm also not the type that has to have everything labeled in detail. What pops up on the top of the screen for the next point is fine for me as I don't plan break spots or view spots or refueling spots. I'm more of a "follow my planned route and stop when I feel like it or have a need to" like refueling. I don't need/use Bird's Eye. And I hardly use POI or waypoints.

As you say, "Everybody has his own preferences!" You've found what works for you, stick with it! Me? I find Base Camp to be the simplest and most straight forward routing software available. No jumping through hoops to "make it work". For me, less is better!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Emile
Netherlands

Post by Emile »

Thanks for the reply! Appreciated!

The screenshot is just an example of the possibilities. Normaly a daytrip has only a few POI's that only popup when you're nearby. The refueling icon I am only using when riding very remote like Scotland Highland, because you get in to trouble if you don't refuel in time...
fjb2022
Great Britain

Post by fjb2022 »

Looks very interesting - I've just got my XT2 but will stay with MRA for route planning so I'm going to check POI2PIC out - thank you 😊
Johnsondvr
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Johnsondvr »

This looks interesting. I use MRA for all my planning and I like the icons that are available for use with different waypoints. Just bought myself an XT2 and will have a ‘play’ with your POI2PIC tool.

Thanks for posting here.