Post by lkraus »

Good to know!

I'll run Express - in April.
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: CN NA 2025.10

Post by ray6576 »

You may run into problems trying to update the maping in Basecamp. I updated 2 XTs and the map update for basecamp failed both times.
s
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Start GE with "Run as administrator" before trying to install maps to PC even if you are logged in as a user with admin privileges.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Just to add a data point. I updated the map on my XT over WiFi and it took only about 20 minutes. This beats the crippled USB connection I had been using. But to get 2025.10 into Basecamp, I of course had to use same. But imagine my astonishment when it took less than 10 minutes. Is this a new deal, with the map being transferred from the XT to my iMac via USB, instead of waiting for Garmin's often slow servers?

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Wouldn't it be nice if we all had a standard experience. I won't let the XT update a map via wi-fi after letting it do so once which was followed by Express not recognizing that the XT had a map installed. As for CN NA 2025.10, I updated the XT with Express and then tried to install it to my PC.
There was a long download period during the first attempt but subsequent attempts did not do the download again. When it finally worked it took less than 10 minutes.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Peobody wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:54 am Start GE with "Run as administrator" before trying to install maps to PC even if you are logged in as a user with admin privileges.
Took me a long, long time to figure out how to do this. The whole time I was wishing you had given instructions on how to do it. There are many of us out here that are pretty computer illiterate, just saying.

I updated the XT via home wifi. Then using Garmin Express I reinstalled the map. All subsequent attempts to install to computer failed until I finally figured the above "run as administrator" thing. Installed map to computer first time after that.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Good point @rbentnail.

It's sometimes difficult to get the right balance between
  1. Making a simple straight forward statement - which is accurate, to the point and is not cluttered with additional 'how-to' information
  2. Making a lengthy post which gives all of the necessary detail. This method runs the risk of over complicating a very simple point. Some will need it, some will not, others will find it annoying and over-complicated.p
@Peobody used the first method. Succinct, to the point. Everything you need to know in a nutshell.
@jfheath tends to use the second method. That's because he was a teacher, and is used to explaining things in many different ways - because kids and adults all learn differently.

I saw @Peobody's post and thought 'brilliant' - I wish that I could resist the temptation to add unnecessary detail. And I was proud of myself for not adding a 'how-to run as administrator' post - thinking of all of the numerous times I have been accused of making things too complicated.

On the forum, you cannot cater for people who cannot cope with lengthy explanations. Except by not giving them. So I decided that Peobody's comment was absolutely spot on. So no explanation would help. If they don't know about 'Run as Administrator' they will ask.

And that will be a separate post, with a separate reply - without destroying the perfect, succinct information that @Peobody's post provided. No point in me providing the info for you - you've found out how to do it. Maybe you could post what you discovered to help anyone else who is in the same position as you were ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
wks
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by wks »

Hi all, one of the best bits of advice my dad gave me was never be afraid to ask.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

jfheath wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:21 am Good point @rbentnail.

It's sometimes difficult to get the right balance between
  1. Making a simple straight forward statement - which is accurate, to the point and is not cluttered with additional 'how-to' information
  2. Making a lengthy post which gives all of the necessary detail. This method runs the risk of over complicating a very simple point. Some will need it, some will not, others will find it annoying and over-complicated.p
@Peobody used the first method. Succinct, to the point. Everything you need to know in a nutshell.
@jfheath tends to use the second method. That's because he was a teacher, and is used to explaining things in many different ways - because kids and adults all learn differently.

I saw @Peobody's post and thought 'brilliant' - I wish that I could resist the temptation to add unnecessary detail. And I was proud of myself for not adding a 'how-to run as administrator' post - thinking of all of the numerous times I have been accused of making things too complicated.

On the forum, you cannot cater for people who cannot cope with lengthy explanations. Except by not giving them. So I decided that Peobody's comment was absolutely spot on. So no explanation would help. If they don't know about 'Run as Administrator' they will ask.

And that will be a separate post, with a separate reply - without destroying the perfect, succinct information that @Peobody's post provided. No point in me providing the info for you - you've found out how to do it. Maybe you could post what you discovered to help anyone else who is in the same position as you were ?
No need to explain yourself any more than I need to defend myself. I've had enough people bitch about others asking questions that I'd rather go search myself. The difficult part I have is asking the right question to not get a long, drawn out explanation of how a computer works and how blahblahblah and probably more in yet another ignored post when all that I need to be said is "right click Garmin Express icon, pick Run as Administrator."
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A