CN NA 2025.10

danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Re: CN NA 2025.10

Post by danham »

Another data point. I'm on an iMac and sometimes need to run apps as Administrator. I did not have to do that in this case.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I think I tend towards the 'too much detail' line, wanting to provide enough info for full comprehension while providing known options for reaching the desired result. I recognize that this is annoying for folks who just want someone to tell them the sequence of what to click and buttons to press. For me, I want to know the "why" behind those actions so I tend to post that way and appreciate others who do (thanks John) although I admit to sometimes skipping content in posts because I think that I already know what the poster is saying (sorry John). Regarding my succinct post, I thought 'right click > Run as administrator' had been referred to often enough that I didn't need to do it again. I apologize for that assumption.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

I just updated my computer and devices with the new CN NA 2025.10 maps. A Nuvi 54, Zumo 590, Z 396 and Z 550, all with lifetime maps.

I ran Express in Administrator mode.
Initially I tried to update the Nuvi 54 and the computer together, but that failed.
I left the Nuvi attached and updated the PC (Win 10) first.
Then I updated device only:
the 54LM
590LM
396LM
All updated with no issues. The 54LM and the 590 both have SD cards installed to increase available storage, so there was no issue with map size.
The 396 still has enough internal memory so it also loaded the map without issue.
The 550 has an SD card. I used Mapinstall to load all of the USA and most of Canada onto the SD card up to the 4GB limit that Mapinstall shows as I was selecting the maps. This too went to completion and is working - except for the street name display issue that's been present in the newer maps for over a year.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
lather
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by lather »

I cannot update due to Garmiin Express no longer supporting satelite internet. I contacted Garmin and requested a memory card map but no dice.
Going to try to do the download with my laptop at the local library.
paynes1
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

Finally got 2025.1 onto my PC after several attempts. HOWEVER, Although the maps show in Bascamp and are unlocked, only about half of the points of interest are showing in the 'Find Options' drop down. FORTUNATELY, 2024.2 stayed on my PC and wasn't replaced and this works perfectly.

Waiting for Garmin to come back with suggestions. I can't remember when I last managed to update my Zumo, PC and laptop without having an issue on one of them.

Steve P
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

paynes1 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:40 am only about half of the points of interest are showing in the 'Find Options' drop down. FORTUNATELY, 2024.2 stayed on my PC and wasn't replaced and this works perfectly.
I don't think this is a map issue. It been a problem for me through many different versions of maps. It is very common for me to see a large number of blue balloons on the map but only a few listed in the POI pane (image below). Sometimes, changing the map zoom level helps, sometimes not. Sometimes, refreshing the list will display more. Sometimes multiple refreshes are required. I will attempt refreshes both with the "Refresh Find Results" button and the "Find More Items" button. I never know which one will work, or if neither will work.
pasted.png
pasted.png (296.69 KiB) Viewed 810 times
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

This is a reply. It's not an answer, because I couldn't say that I know the correct answer. But I can fiddle and get the results that I want. I use the search POI feature very rarely - because the data has proved to be unreliable on the one occasion in Spain when I relied on it entirely for hotel addresses.

But I can share the results of my fiddling. As long as you take what I say here with a pinch of salt - something to flavour your own research - rather than an actual fact.

That minimum list is a common feature. Garmin like to get a quick result rather than expect you to wait for it to search its entire database. Generally speaking it stops after 4 or 5 results. Initially.

It searches around a particular area - the centre of the displayed map.

There are a few things that you can mess around with - I was going to get some screen shots, but decided it was probably quicker to record a very amateurish video.

Show it full screen it's full screen resolution 1280x720 so that you can see the detail. It sometimes takes a few seconds for Youtube to get the high resolution detail, but then it suddenly jumps into sharp focus. If it doesn't then choose the option at the bottom of the video to show it in YouTube.

[edit] - Something that I didn't put in the video. If you move the map about, new POIs do not automatically show up on the map. You have to click the refresh button for that to happen - it then searches again using the new centre of the map as the location to search.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

That video demonstrates the frustrating yet normal behaviour of the number of found items indicated on the map not matching the list of items, requiring some fussing about. As an FYI, Ctrl+Alt+F will open the Find Options window. This saves you some clicks as compared to using the Search function, especially when you are searching for a specific category of POI like lodging, food, or fuel. I agree with @jfheath about this database being inaccurate, but I find it to be a valuable resource, followed up with verification to confirm whether a location of interest actually exists, is still in business, and is located where Basecamp says it is (Google Maps is my primary verifying source). It is not uncommon for me to add one of the search results as a waypoint and then replace its coordinates with ones from Google Maps because of how badly misplaced it was.
paynes1
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

Many thanks for the answers to my 'Find Option' problems.
I have loaded 2025.1 onto my PC and it works fine. The issue is that on my laptop when I use the 'Find Options' there is a number of options missing in the actual drop down list of 'All Points of Interest' in 2025.1 compared to those in 2024.2 which is still installed see below:

Attractions
Auto Services
Bank/ATM
Cities
Community
Entertainment
Food & Drink
Fuel
Geographical
Hospitals
Lodging
Marine
Other
Recreation
Shopping
Transportation
Custom

Attraction
Cities
Entertainment
Fuels
Hospital
Marine
Other
Recreation
Transportation
Custom

Garmin support have tried to find a reason for this but have been unsuccessful so far. GE and BC have been uninstalled and re-installed several times always as administrator. I am wondering if deleting anything 'Garmin' from the laptop might solve this. However, I don't know how to do this, and I might lose the 2024.2 safety net. They did not have a laptop/PC running windows 11 to start with and had to wait until something was available.
I use the (new) laptop for intial planning of routes and finalise on the PC with the larger sreen. The hotels option missing is inconvenient as I probably use that the most. To get around this, I use 2024.2 for the search and if I mark something as a waypoint I then switch to 2025.1 and recalculate the route.
At the moment Garmin say it is a problem with the laptop, but I can't understand why 2024.2 loaded correctly when I initially loaded maps and BC etc on the laptop but 2025.1 hasn't. I may have mentioned in my earlier posts that it took a few attempts to get the maps onto the laptop when 2025.1 was released. Garmin support say to wait and see what happens when 2025.2 is released....

Steve P
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

That's a new sort of problem.

Using Basecamp 4.7.5, Windows 11, CNNA NT 2025.1, this is what I see:
find.png
find.png (121.42 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Changing activity profiles does not change the options, I still see all sixteen categories.
Changing the map does not change the options. I see the same sixteen categories using a couple of different Open street Maps. Still there with the Global Map which does not even have any POI.

So the categories seem to be a part of Basecamp rather than the map. Yet you don't see them all if you change the map to 2025.1? On both computers?

I'm pretty sure that the City Navigator maps were not removed or replaced when you reinstalled Basecamp or Express. They have their own entries in Windows Settings>Apps>Installed apps.

You might try using Express to reinstall the 2025.1 map, but I think this is more of a Basecamp issue.

The check boxes control the POI displayed on the map, but not my search results. If I leave "Lodging" unchecked, I can still search (Ctrl+F) for "hotel" to see the locations of hotels in the area displayed. Do you get results if you use the Search box on the upper right of the map and enter "Hotel" or "Lodging"?

EDIT: Just noticed that you list 17 categories, not the 16 that I have. I'm missing Custom...