Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: SD Card

Post by Peobody »

@Learner, when you write to the card, how is the card accessed? Card reader? XT2 connected to PC?
Have you tried writing a .GPX file to the \GPX directory on the card and then seeing if it is available for import on the XT2?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

Learner wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:42 am I have an XT2 and my device does not recognize the card. I have a 256GB card formatted as FAT32.
I am not an expert on formatting cards but I thought that once I read something about a SD card that's greater than 32GB needs FATex formatting, and FAT32 formatting will only recognize a card size up to 32GB? dunno, maybe a 256GB Card needs to be formatted FATex? I'm just thinking out loud on this. because i'm not sure a 256GB card can be formatted as FAT32, anyone know for sure on this?
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

twowheelstom wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:48 pm i'm not sure a 256GB card can be formatted as FAT32, anyone know for sure on this?
Yes, it can, at least ones larger than 32GB. I did it with a 64GB card. A third party tool capable of doing it is needed, at least on a Window OS. I have heard that a Mac OS can do it but I don't have experience with that.
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

This web site has very nice free SD card formatting software for both Windows and Mac and here is their take on sizes/formats:

You can format both standard size SD memory cards and microSD memory cards based on the following capacity types:

SD/microSD card: FAT12/16 up to 2GB
SDHC/microSDHC card: FAT32 more than 2GB and up to 32GB
SDXC/microSDXC card: exFAT more than 32GB and up to 2TB
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

That sdcard.org website does not indicate that the formatter will FAT32 format a card larger than 32GB, at least not that I could find, nor does the manual indicate that the formatter allows you to select a format. It appears that the formatter makes the decision based on the detected capacity of the card. If so, it won't FAT32 format a card greater than 32GB. Am I missing something?

To be clear, I am using a 64GB microSDXC card in my XT. Its FAT32 formatted size is 59.4GB.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Once again, I have NEVER formatted a new SD card in a computer prior to use in either my 595 or my XT. I simply place the new card in the device and turn it on. The device recognizes there's a card and asks if I want to format it. I select yes, it does its thing and the card is now completely compatible and usable. Simple. That has worked for me for at least 6 different new cards.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Peobody wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:33 pm That sdcard.org website does not indicate that the formatter will FAT32 format a card larger than 32GB, at least not that I could find, nor does the manual indicate that the formatter allows you to select a format. It appears that the formatter makes the decision based on the detected capacity of the card. If so, it won't FAT32 format a card greater than 32GB. Am I missing something?

To be clear, I am using a 64GB microSDXC card in my XT. Its FAT32 formatted size is 59.4GB.
With Rufus you can format a 64Gb card as Fat32 for use in an XT. https://rufus.ie/en/

Once did it, and it worked. The local computer shop had no 32 Gb in stock.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

rbentnail wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:58 pm Once again, I have NEVER formatted a new SD card in a computer prior to use in either my 595 or my XT. I simply place the new card in the device and turn it on. The device recognizes there's a card and asks if I want to format it. I select yes, it does its thing and the card is now completely compatible and usable. Simple. That has worked for me for at least 6 different new cards.
I dont doubt what you're saying.
But I once had bought a 64 Gb card that happened to be (factory)formatted as ExFat. That works in Windows, but not for the XT. You will need a 3rd party tool to correct that.
AugustFalcon
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 6 times
United States of America

Post by AugustFalcon »

Peobody wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:33 pm That sdcard.org website does not indicate that the formatter will FAT32 format a card larger than 32GB, at least not that I could find, nor does the manual indicate that the formatter allows you to select a format. It appears that the formatter makes the decision based on the detected capacity of the card. If so, it won't FAT32 format a card greater than 32GB. Am I missing something?
Just downloaded and installed the formatter on my Win11 machine. I have a 128GB microSDXC card which I put in the card reader and ran the program but did not format it. The card has one Fat32 partition and one EXT4 (Its from my Raspberry PI system). The downloaded formatter detects the card and its size and volume label but does not give you the option to select the formatting you wish to use. So I believe you are correct.

As @FrankB writes below Rufus will allow you to choose your formatting once you have told it you are making a non-bootable drive. In my case it defaulted to something it called LARGE Fat32. ExFat was available if desired.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

FrankB wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:07 pm
rbentnail wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:58 pm Once again, I have NEVER formatted a new SD card in a computer prior to use in either my 595 or my XT. I simply place the new card in the device and turn it on. The device recognizes there's a card and asks if I want to format it. I select yes, it does its thing and the card is now completely compatible and usable. Simple. That has worked for me for at least 6 different new cards.
I dont doubt what you're saying.
But I once had bought a 64 Gb card that happened to be (factory)formatted as ExFat. That works in Windows, but not for the XT. You will need a 3rd party tool to correct that.
The 128gb currently in my XT was formatted by the XT. I have no idea what the "factory" format was, all I know is that this worked every time I've done it.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A