SD Card

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Learner
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Re: SD Card

Post by Learner »

Sorry for the delayed reply, but I'm unable to manually load a gpx v1.1 to my garmin's memory card. The only thing listed when I plug it into my laptop is internal storage. I used this company's utility to format my 256gb memory card to FAT32: https://www.diskpart.com/articles/forma ... -7201.html

After I was done, I uninstalled it since I really can't see myself needing it again for a long while. I downloaded 2 different gpx files v1.1 to my XT2, the first attempt showed only internal storage of the garmin. The second attempt is when I removed my memory card from my XT2 and put in my laptop to put the gpx v1.1 in the memory card, within the GPX directory. The internal storage found the gpx file, the memory card still doesn't show up as an option when importing.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Learner wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:40 am The internal storage found the gpx file, the memory card still doesn't show up as an option when importing.
I am curious how internal storage found the gpx file if you only put it on the card and you did not import it.
FYI, the import process does not indicate the location of the files available for import. It just shows the routes that it finds in the \GPX directory on both internal storage and on the card.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Learner wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:40 am I downloaded 2 different gpx files v1.1 to my XT2, the first attempt showed only internal storage of the garmin. The second attempt is when I removed my memory card from my XT2 and put in my laptop to put the gpx v1.1 in the memory card, within the GPX directory. The internal storage found the gpx file, the memory card still doesn't show up as an option when importing.
The device screen does not show the card as a separate drive or memory when importing routes. It shows the routes on the card in a list combined with the routes in internal memory. The is no distinction between the 2 memory locations, it is all 1 long of routes ready to be imported regardless of file location, either card or internal. Keep in mind this has nothing to do with looking for User Memory (the card) on your computer.

Terminology: download = transfer to device. Import = moves a route from memory to active status in the device.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Learner
United States of America

Post by Learner »

There are actually 3 ways that I found so far that can get the gpx file to the xt2, but without the xt2 recognizing the memory card. That path does not work. I'm going to assume that if you follow these directions you are relatively comfortable cruising directory trees.

1) Using the tread app, this has failed me on a few occasions but I believe that the issue is that it doesn't always automatically connect to my xt2.
* This requires clicking on the 3 horizontal lines
* Select "Explore Library"
* Hit the 3 dot button in the upper right of the screen
* Select "Import Data", there you are allowed to select files from your phone to transfer. I prefer this since I use MRA to plan my routes.

2) Plugging my xt2 into my laptop, this requires a screen click to get the xt2 connected to laptop and a rather lengthy pause
* Once windows recognizes the xt2, it'll show up in "File Explorer" under "This PC"
* Select xt2 and you'll see an entry "Internal Storage"
* Enter "Internal Storage" and you'll see a bunch of directories which names are self explanatory
NOTE: IMHO, don't mess with files in this directory. I cruised a couple and seems like there's some runtime info within this area. You have been warned.

Based on the responses I'm receiving so far, what am I overlooking? ? ? I want my xt2 to leverage my memory card because of 2 reasons:
1) I would like to be able to download several gpx files should I go on multi-day rides
2) Should I download significant data, like Birdseye Views or even transfer my music.

I'm a bit OCD with my gadgets, I know it has a feature. I want that feature available whether I use it or not. I'd like those options to be available.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Learner wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:16 pm 2) Plugging my xt2 into my laptop, this requires a screen click to get the xt2 connected to laptop and a rather lengthy pause
* Once windows recognizes the xt2, it'll show up in "File Explorer" under "This PC"
* Select xt2 and you'll see an entry "Internal Storage"
If the SD card was being recognized you would see both "Internal storage" and "Memory card" as directories on the XT2, at least that is how it works on the XT. I suspect that either the SD card is not inserted correctly (easy to do with the XT, don't know if the XT2 card holder is the same), it is not FAT32 formatted, or there is a fault with the card preventing it from being read.
Do you have a card reader that you can attempt to access this card with?
Do you have a different card you can try?
Learner
United States of America

Post by Learner »

I can only see the Internal Storage directory. I formatted my memory card from my laptop. I verified it's FAT32 and I've created some directories; GPX, MP3 and Maps. I've also put a v1.1 gpx file in the GPX directory and still no luck.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Out of curiosity, I looked at the XT2 manual to see what is showed regarding the card holder and was pleasantly surprised to see a card slot and not the odd card holder that is on the XT. Noticeable was an instruction to press the card in until it clicks. Perhaps more effort than expected is required to get it to seat????
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Learner wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:15 pm I verified it's FAT32 and I've created some directories; GPX, MP3 and Maps. I've also put a v1.1 gpx file in the GPX directory and still no luck.
Just how did you format and check it? I suspect that's where it goes wrong.

First 2 screenshots of the 'standard windows' method, this way the card will not be recognized by the XT

Right-click on the drive and select 'format'. Notice the option 'fat32' is NOT there. If you use the commandline it will tell you the drive is too large.
formatwin.jpg
formatwin.jpg (84.05 KiB) Viewed 898 times
If you go ahead and format, and afterwards you right-click on the drive and choose properties, it it still 'exfat'
resultwin.jpg
resultwin.jpg (40.59 KiB) Viewed 898 times
Now 2 screenshots of a method that does work.

If you use a 3rd party utility like rufus https://rufus.ie/en/ (but others may work also) and fill out the form like this:
formatrufus.jpg
formatrufus.jpg (75.39 KiB) Viewed 898 times
Then it will show 'fat32' afterwards. And the card should be recognized.
resultrufus.jpg
resultrufus.jpg (41.22 KiB) Viewed 898 times
In short: Dont format your cards >32 Gb with Windows standard tools if you want to use them in the XT.
Formatting performed by the XT itself should also work. By I dont know how to trigger it manually. So if you're stuck with an unrecognizable card use an external tool.
Or just use 32 GB cards
Learner
United States of America

Post by Learner »

Peobody wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:30 pm Out of curiosity, I looked at the XT2 manual to see what is showed regarding the card holder and was pleasantly surprised to see a card slot and not the odd card holder that is on the XT. Noticeable was an instruction to press the card in until it clicks. Perhaps more effort than expected is required to get it to seat????
Interesting suggestion, I went ahead and tried to scuff up my memory card contacts a bit to see if there was any unusual manufacturing coating and no luck. I tried scuffing it up a little without any luck. Plugged the memory card in and I'm still getting the same issue. The memory card is unavailable as a download destination.

@FrankB I used the formatting software noted in my previous comment, it's produced by Aomei. After formatting and whenever I plug the memory card into my laptop directly, I can see the properties and it's noted at FAT32. Yes, I've ran into the size limitation with standard windows utilities and it's noted int he XT2's owners manual that a 3rd party utility is necessary.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Learner wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:38 pm @FrankB I used the formatting software noted in my previous comment, it's produced by Aomei. After formatting and whenever I plug the memory card into my laptop directly, I can see the properties and it's noted at FAT32. Yes, I've ran into the size limitation with standard windows utilities and it's noted int he XT2's owners manual that a 3rd party utility is necessary.
OK. That should not be the problem then.
If I were you, I would start swapping 'things' to find the culprit. For example:

- Use a different PC.
- Use a different USB cable.
- Use a different SD Card, preferably <= 32 Gb
- Find someone with a Xt, or XT2, that has the SD Card working. Try your SD card in his unit, or his SD card in your Unit
- Etc.