Audio disconnect

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
burtsr
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Audio disconnect

Post by burtsr »

I’m hoping you can help me with a problem I’ve been having. Here is my set up.

2022 Honda Goldwing motorcycle
Garmin XT
Sena S50 headset
Apple IPhone

I have the XT Paired with my Sena and Iphone
I have the Sena also paired with the Goldwing.
I have the IPhone paired with both the XT and the Goldwing

Everything plays nice for a while. Even the Apple CarPlay works. Suddenly I’ll lose all audio to my headset. The XT connects to the phone, and it turns on the ‘media’ check box. Even if I uncheck ‘the media check box’ there is no audio. I must turn off the Sena, then back on. I lost Apple CarPlay. For a while everything will work again. Then out of the clear blue it all happens again.

There are no music files on the XT.

I uncheck ‘media’ and disconnect the IPhone on the XT, but after a while, the phone reconnects by itself, and the media check box is checked again and the audio is gone.

There must be some way to keep the media check box unchecked, but I can’t figure it out. I really don’t want to unpair my phone from the XT because I’ll lose the Garmin Drive.

I hope I’ve explained this well enough for you to understand.

Thank You
Burt
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Re: Audio disconnect

Post by danham »

If I'm understanding correctly, the problem is too many "circular" Bluetooth connections. The XT needs to be the hub, meaning everything pairs to it, not to each other. This may eliminate your Goldwing connection because I'm not sure if the XT can handle it along with your phone and Sena. So the first line of your setup -- iPhone and Sena paired to XT -- is just what the XT expects. But the next two lines are not.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I agree with @danham. The only way I have gotten things to work correctly is for the headset to only be paired with the XT. In your case, I believe that either the Goldwing or the XT can be the hub but they end up fighting each other when both are in the mix.

I have heard that you can not load a pre-planned route (.gpx file) onto the nav system of the 'wing. Is that true? That would sure explain the need for an external satnav.

FWIW, I now ride with spoken navigation turned off on my XT. Admittedly, I make more u-turns than I used to but voice navigation was a constant headache, the worst being its intrusiveness on headset to headset communication, whether me to pillion or me to other group riders.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
burtsr
United States of America

Post by burtsr »

The XT is only paired to the Sena and the IPhone. The IPhone is also paired to the Goldwing.

If I could keep the 'media' checkbox unchecked I think my problem would be solved. But it seems to check it's self at times. I also found that if I disconnect the phone, at the XT, at some time it will reconnect on it's own?

I know that the Honda Goldwing's bluetooh is very picky. I'm sure that does not help.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

burtsr wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:51 pm The XT is only paired to the Sena and the IPhone. The IPhone is also paired to the Goldwing.
I think the pairing of the phone to the Goldwing is causing the problem.

You mentioned Apple CarPlay. Are you trying to play music from your phone? My comment about that is that I ended up putting music on the XT because I had nothing but problems trying to play it from my iphone.

Also know that I run into problems when I connect my phone to my Cardo for updating or configuring with the CardoConnect app and then forget to tell the phone to forget the Cardo device once I'm done. The next time I ride, the phone will automatically connect to the Cardo which breaks communication from the XT and other headsets. AFAIK, there is no way to prevent the iPhone from automatically connecting to known devices. The only workaround is to tell it to forget devices that we don't want it to auto-connect to.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

BTW, the "Media Audio" checkbox in the bluetooth options of the XT for my iPhone remains unchecked. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue why mine stays unchecked and yours doesn't. Perhaps it is because I only have "MP3" (the zumo XT) selected as a source in the music player on the XT.
burtsr
United States of America

Post by burtsr »

If I put MP3s on the XT, will I be able to hear them AND get the phone if someone calls all off the XT. If so then I don't need carplay. Carplay is a pain in the rear anyway.

If not, I think I'm going to try disconnecting my phone from the XT. I want to keep CarPlay for the phone.