No verbal directions when listening to MP3 over Bluetooth

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
TNGW1500SE
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Re: No verbal directions when listing to MP3 over Bluetooth

Post by TNGW1500SE »

simoncrewe wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:55 am Have you by any chance got OSM maps..............
No.
TNGW1500SE
United States of America

Post by TNGW1500SE »

I just tried it with a BT phone earpiece. Same thing. Only music with a blank pause in the music when the verbal turn by turn should be heard.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

On the Bluetooth page, select the BT headset device that is listed shows icons to indicate what features it is using eg phone, headset, music. They should be blue rather than grey if that feature is connected and working. Tap on that row and it opens up a list that allows you to turn in and off those features individually. Check that out. It sometimes remembers the wrong settings.

Also, BT devices tend to remember what they paired with last. Unlike the XT, you have no way of knowing what they are paired with. When setting it up, make sure all other BT devices around the house are turned off. Then clear out all of your BT settings - ie forget devices - on the XT. then pair your headset. Make sure that you can hear button clicks, music, navigation commands. Don't try to take a shortcut with this. If you get no joy, take your XT and headset for a walk away from the house and car and leave any other BT devices that you have (watch, phone, camera, etc) behind. Then on the XT forget each BT device in turn. Then try to pair your headset again.

And don't forget that as well as the four slider volume controls in the mixer AND a master volume control, there is also a mute button. And there are two check boxes to turn on/off Spoken Navigation and Spoken Traffic. The symptoms are consistent with Spoken Navigation being turned off - but that has already been suggested, and you say navigation can be heard through the Zumo speakers when no BT is connected.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
TNGW1500SE
United States of America

Post by TNGW1500SE »

WOW! Thanks. It's working "somewhat". I deleted all devices and reinstalled the one for the van. Then I deselected the headset option. Now it plays music from the van speakers and announces turns from the GPS built in speaker. It doesn't pause the music and doesn't announce over the van speakers but I can live with that! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jfheath
Great Britain

Re: No verbal directions when listening to MP3 over Bluetooth

Post by jfheath »

Glad that worked !

You may have to do the same thing every now and then, but generally speaking once its set up, it works first time, every time.
And if it doesn't - then you now know what to do !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

jfheath wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:39 am Glad that worked !

You may have to do the same thing every now and then, but generally speaking once its set up, it works first time, every time.
And if it doesn't - then you now know what to do !
I've found this to be largely untrue. 2 out of 3 times before a ride I have to un-pair and re-pair in a particular order for everything to work properly. And even then the Bluetooth connection will randomly drop out for no reason, forcing me to un-pair and re-pair if I want it to work again. If I leave any one of the 3 out of the loop then the rest always work all the time so that's what I do now. If I want music & audio turn instructions from the XT, I leave the phone out. If I'm listening to music from an mp3 in my pocket, it's just the XT and phone paired.

2 devices always work. 3 devices together isn't reliable enough to make it through a full day to be called "working". I always wondered why the comms guys are constantly fiddling with their stuff at every stop. Now I understand.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I know that people have all sorts of problems with BT connections. I don't.

That isn't just good luck - I mean - I have experienced the problems that have been described. But I've found out why and have solved most of them.
The biggest issue is that you cannot normally unpair a device from your headset. They will remember the last thing that they connected to and try that, and if that doesn't work try to find the first thing that they come across with which they have been paired before.

So you have to make sure that the last thing that the headset was paired with was the XT. Then when you power up, make sure that the XT is already turned on with BT active so that the the headset can find it before it goes hunting elsewhere.

But people have different priorities. Many try to use the headset to control their phone - 'Hey Google' etc. Thats fine if that is what you want - but you cannot then have access to all of the features that the XT has via your phone. And certainly when I set up my Packtalk Edge Rider/Pillion Duo set, as described in the manual - it was a dead loss, it wouldn't pair again without getting the phone out to make things talk to each other. I've seen members of the club sitting there at the start of a ride with their phones out trying to get it sorted. So I worked out what I needed to do to make it work properly every time. And it does. No problems at all.

Before the Packtalk headset I had wired autocom. With the XT not having any cables, I had to get a BT module for the headset unit to talk to the XT's BT. That did keep dropping out. But I realised that it was after a stop - or to be more precise, after starting the engine. That turned the BT module off momentarily, and restarted it - by which time the XT had stopped listening for a new connection - but it hadn't realised that it had lost the BT module. BY the time it had worked out that the BT module was no longer there, the BT module had stopped listening ! The only way out of that was to pull over and start everything from off. So I fixed that problem by changing my startup routine. Previously I had turned on accessories before setting off - to make sure rider and pillion could talk and satnav would fire up. Then I'd turn to ignition and start the engine. But starting the engine would kill the BT module. So shortly after setting off, no BT module. So the fix was not to turn anything on until I was about to start the engine - then it behaved perfectly.

For me - I just have headset to pillion headset (but via the Mesh system, rather than BT)
Headset <-> XT <-> Phone.

And providing I haven't been answering questions on here and pairing with my cheap BT headset, then it works first time every time.

I have had problems that I cannot solve in the past. I spent ages trying to play music from the phone via the XT and 590 through the headset (at the time, a wired autocom headset). I couldn't get it to go wrong at my desk, but on the move it kept cutting the music. First every 10 seconds or so, and over the next 10 minutes that would increase to every second or a couple of times a second.

I couldn't solve it and decided that it was a problem that I didn't need to solve. The MP3 player on the XT is far superior, and I tend not to listen a great deal anyway - it affects the concentration. But I think that it was probably to do with the passing number of BT devices demanding attention 'hey motorbike, do you want to pair' ? I imagined a growing list of available devices eating away at the Zumo memory.