How to transfer waypoints to SD card on XT

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

How to transfer waypoints to SD card on XT

Post by twowheelstom »

I created several waypoints and a route in Basecamp and now I'm ready to transfer them to the 64GB SD card on my XT.
All that the SD card has on it now is a music folder called MP3.
Do I first create a folder on the SD card myself called Garmin and then Garmin/GPX? or do I let Basecamp create these folders.
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: How to transfer waypoints to SD card on XT

Post by Peobody »

Create that directory structure yourself. You can create your own subdirectory structure just like you can in the MP3 directory.
Mine looks like:
Garmin\GPX\Carolina Coast Trip
Garmin\GPX\Local
Garmin\GPX\Mountain Rides
Garmin\GPX\SD Trip

I suggest exporting the route out of Basecamp, giving it a meaningful name, and then using a file explorer to copy it to the SD card. You don't need to export a list out of Basecamp, just the route, the waypoints it contains will come with it. That said, if you want to be able to import any of the waypoints so that they are in your Saved list without first importing the route then you will want to include the waypoints in your export.

Edit: The reason for the export and then the copy is to make it easy to see what routes are on the card from a file explorer rather than being dependent on having the device attached to Basecamp.

Edit2: Come to think of it, the directory structure will be created if you send to the card directly from Basecamp. You might want to do the first, then export and copy a .gpx file so that you can see what both look like on the card.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I have never "created any directory structure myself". I do not export the route "out of Base Camp". Using Base Camp, I simply drag and drop the route (including waypoints) to the SD card. To me it's more important to have good organization with Base Camp's Lists and List Folders than it is to detail the routes on my XT.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

Here's what I did, started up computer Basecamp, then connected XT to computer, use File Explorer to created a folder on SD card called Garmin/GPX/Local Day trips
But now for my dumb question. when I look at Basecamp, I can see Devices, and Memory Card and folder User Data.
Where is my Local Day Trips folder and how to I put Basecamp list called Local Day Trips into the SD card same name folder?
On Basecamp I go under Device Menu, Send to Device, Send 'Local Day Trips' to device... all I see is Zumo XT/Memory Card
where's my 'Local Day Trips' folder on the card?
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

I did a test, I used Send to Device, Memory Card 1 .gpx file and when looking at the SD card with file explorer, it didn't go into my Local Day Trips folder but just created a file called Waypoints.gpx, Local Day Trips folder is empty, I don't get this send to SD card at all
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

rbentnail wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:08 pm To me it's more important to have good organization with Base Camp's Lists and List Folders than it is to detail the routes on my XT.
so the SD card is not organized into several folder structures? you mean the SD card is a catch-all bucket of all routes and waypoints? sorry but I don't understand how this is suppose to look
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

When you drag and drop or use "Send to' from within Basecamp, all data will append appropriately to one of these three files in the Garmin\GPX directory (they will be created as needed by BaseCamp):
Route.gpx
Track.gpx
Waypoints.gpx

You can then only manage your data from within Basecamp. @rbentnail is fine with that. I am not, hence my export out of Basecamp and manual copy to the card. You need to do this to understand how it works and then you can make a decision about which way is best for you. IMO, the manual method requires that you be somewhat of a computer geek, be comfortable working with file explorer, and have the time and patience to do it. The primary advantage is that you can see what is on the card without Basecamp.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Perhaps an explanation of the role the SD card plays in the whole scope of things will help. The card serves as storage space when it comes to Routes, Tracks and Waypoints. The XT will not use this data directly from the card like it does music. The XT sees the data on the SD card whenever an "Import" function is triggered on the XT. Basically, it is available for import, but it must first be imported before it can be used. Two ways I have used it:

1. I did a 14 day trip. I created one route per day in Basecamp. I manually exported then copied each one to an appropriately named directory on the card. Each night I imported the route for the next days ride, deleting the route just finished. This kept my XT uncluttered during the trip. I deleted the trip directory from the card when I got home. Did I think doing this was a good idea? Yes. Did I ever do it this way again? No. It was a great learning experience though.

2. I manually put routes on the card as a backup because I have discovered how easy it is to inadvertently change a route on internal storage. When that happens, I delete that route and then reimport it from the card. These routes are all individual files on the card. When a map update occurs in Basecamp, a recalc of the existing routes is in order. It is my experience that may will be changed. When they are, I fix them in Basecamp and then replace the files on the card with the exports of the fixed routes, delete the existing route from internal storage, import the fixed route.
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

I'm no computer geek that's for sure, I just prefer simple and easy, makes me wonder if I shouldn't care how the SD is organized, just throw it all in there like it was pot-luck stew lol, sorry, you seem very knowledgeable in your computer skills but all I want to do is turn it on and off lol, I will have to scrap my idea of having a well organized folder structure on the SD card. I need some sleep now to rest my brain, lol btw thanks so much for your posts, they are very helpful but way over my head to understand. 8-)
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

twowheelstom wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:47 am I will have to scrap my idea of having a well organized folder structure on the SD card.
Yup! Just do everything from within Basecamp. In fact, there may not be any reason to use the card at all except for music.