How to transfer waypoints to SD card on XT

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

Re: How to transfer waypoints to SD card on XT

Post by twowheelstom »

but what's odd is I have another gdb file on the SD Card for another route in New Brunswick, went thru original steps, copied it to the Card, used Trip Planner Import and it works fine, and that file is a gdb file, ok wait, hang on, i'll check the XT to make sure...
Ok back, that gdb file New Brunswick South Tour was in Trip Planner, I selected it for Import, started the route and it works just fine. but the Meteghan Backroads Route file won't work now as a gdb, only as a gpx. I am puzzled. But I'm still going to scrap my idea to save all my routes as gdb and save them as gpx.
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

this imported New Brunswick South Coast Tour.gdb file on the SD card works just fine after imported on the XT
Screenshot 2024-02-07 175136.png
Screenshot 2024-02-07 175136.png (69.97 KiB) Viewed 571 times
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes, but you have a gpx file on there as well, and that has almost the same name, so I am guessing that it contains the same data as the gpx file ?

Unless you know for certain which unique tracks, routes and waypoints are stored in each file, you cannot say where the tracks, routes and waypoints are being obtained from. I suspect if you delete the gpx file, the Zumo wont find the routes etc ???

This is often a problem with data on the sd card, and internal memory. The Zumo keeps finding things that you think you have cleared.
I have also seen the zumo find gpx files which are not saved in the usual places. I suspect that on some devices you can put them anywhere. But I hardly ever mention that, because I don't know whether or not it is true for all Zumos. I tend to stick to the locations that Basecamp uses. But I note that you have discovered that you can use a subfolder on the XT.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Note too that should you ever need to copy data from MapSource to BaseCamp and vice versa you can simply copy and paste from one to the other, no need to export data and then import it.
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:55 am
lkraus wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:05 am
An exported gpx on the card is invisible in Basecamp so I that can't tell just what is already on the card, and File Explorer can't tell me, either. The file has to be copied to the computer, and then imported into Basecamp to see what it contains, edited, then the revised version re-exported, re-copied...
I'm confused bt this statement. I'm wondering why you can't see what routes on on the card using Base Camp.
Exporting is NOT required to put the file on the SD card.
After spending hours on Basecamp exporting and also using the Basecamp Send To.. Memory Card>User

I have opted to do the Basecamp > Export file to computer folder > then copy/paste that file to the XT SD Card manually.
I've also stopped exporting those files from Basecamp into a saved .gdb file extension, I'm leaving them as .gpx files.

I prefer to organize the Card data into separate folders , like I have for my MP3 music folders on the Card.
I tried the Basecamp > Send To... Memory Card > User... and I can see all the waypoints and routes on the Card via Basecamp.. but..
but to me it's a big bucket of everything via Basecamp , and I can't tell which Basecamp/Folder/List they came from.

By organizing Folder names on the SD Card, I can gauge a sense which List on Basecamp they came from, with Basecamp/Memory Card/User I don't know
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Use whatever works for you, it does not really matter what anyone else uses...
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

with my routes and waypoints on files on the SD Card, I can delete those unneeded in internal memory and re-import them again whenever needed, that will keep 32GB storage space used in internal memory lower, putting most of the storage of waypoints and routes on the 64GB SD Card. I might even be able to store most of what's in Basecamp onto the SD Card
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

lkraus wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:23 pm Use whatever works for you, it does not really matter what anyone else uses...
Exactly waht I was going to say. You found what works for you, run with it!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

twowheelstom wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:11 pm with my routes and waypoints on files on the SD Card, I can delete those unneeded in internal memory and re-import them again whenever needed, that will keep 32GB storage space used in internal memory lower, putting most of the storage of waypoints and routes on the 64GB SD Card. I might even be able to store most of what's in Basecamp onto the SD Card
Exactly why I use the SD card exclusively- deleting and reimporting when I want.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

If i was to store most of what I have from Basecamp onto the SD Card using Basecamp drag and drop, or Send To.. Memory Card > User.. then Basecamp will fill up with a list of waypoints and routes and I won't know which Folder/List on Basecamp they came from