Updating maps coruppt routes?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Gidi Ferder
Been liked: 2 times
Israel

Updating maps coruppt routes?

Post by Gidi Ferder »

Hi every one!
I just purchased a 3rd Zumo XT for my business of motorcycle tours in Europe.
Till today I used the first 2 devices by planning with BaseCamp on my pc. The maps installed on my pc and on the 2 older devices are 2024.10.
When I connected and registered the new devise, Garmin express offered to update maps. So now I’ve got 2024.20 on the new devise.
When I transfer the routes fro the pc, the devise recalculated the routes and coruppted the routes.
Does it mean that if I update the maps on my pc and older units, will I have to plan all my work from the beginning? It does not make sense…
If this is the case I rather downgrade the maps on the new device. Is there a way to install the older maps from my pc to the new unit?
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 116 times
United States of America

Re: Updating maps coruppt routes?

Post by lkraus »

Anytime the Basecamp map used to create a route is different than the XT map, the XT will recalculate the route when it is imported. That recalculation will use the route preferences and avoidances of that XT and the via points from the Basecamp route, but will ignore the route shaping points.

I don't think I'd want to send a client out with an old map, and 2024.10 is already about ten months old.

Best procedure would be to also update the Basecamp map, and the old XT maps, and open and recalculate the route(s) in Basecamp (which should stay the same), and then send it to the XTs, where it should import without changing your intended route.
Israel

Post by Gidi Ferder »

You are saying that updating the maps on the pc Would not change or corrupt the planned routes?
And than the transfer will be successful?
Does anyone has experience with this action?
Well I guess you are right that it does make sense to downgrade the maps. And that thought leaves me no choice but to take the risk. At least I remember most of my routes on the maps by heart.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

That's not how I understand @lkraus .
It can change the route, because of map changes, but because the XT does not see a difference it wil not recalculate on import. I assume that's what you mean by 'corrupting'

Let me say it in other words:

- ALWAYS keep the maps in BC and the XT in sync. That is the same version on BC and the XT.
- Before you send a route to the XT, make sure it is (re)calculated with the same map and version in BC as present on the XT.
- If you dont, (and you did not) the XT will start to recalulate on import and very likely come up with a different route.

- Dont try to fix it by downgrading, upgrade both BC and XT to the latest version.

- As a last resort, you can create tracks from the route in BC, send the tracks to the XT, and on the XT convert them to trips. But beware:
You will lose all shaping and via points, but the route will stay in place. That's what a track does!
Last edited by FrankB on Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
colirv
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

Gidi Ferder wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:40 am You are saying that updating the maps on the pc Would not change or corrupt the planned routes?
That's been my experience. I've done it a few times, deleting the old routes on the XT first.
Gidi Ferder wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:40 am Well I guess you are right that it does make sense to downgrade the maps. And that thought leaves me no choice but to take the risk. At least I remember most of my routes on the maps by heart.
As a backup you could convert each route to a track, which you could then compare easily with the older version.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 289 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

colirv wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:21 am As a backup you could convert each route to a track, which you could then compare easily with the older version.
That has become a normal part of my process. I create a route and a track in BaseCamp and transfer both to the XT. On import of the route, I show its track on the map, load the route, and then look for any differences. I do this because I can not always tell whether a calculation occurred during import. An import in under two seconds is obviously not calculated while one that takes 15 seconds obviously is, but most of mine fall somewhere in between.

As far as recalcs in BaseCamp after a map update, routes can get changed. I think a best practice for a tour provider would be to create the route and then use it to create a track (right-click > Create track from selected route). Then before every tour, recalc the route in Basecamp, compare it to the track, fix it if needed, and then transfer to the XTs. An extra step would be to also transfer the track to the XTs, and display the track on the map. This would provide riders with a visual clue that a recalc by the XT modified the route. As a guide on a multi-day tour I would collect the XTs and get them ready for the next day by removing the current days track from the map and adding the one for tomorrow. I would also instruct participants on the route line and the track line and how to handle a situation where they diverge. After all, we know there are situations where the XT will recalculate a route without prompt or approval. The ones that come to mind should be controllable by not skipping any points and not having the Drive app connected but the XT has a propensity for unprompted recalcs so it would be better to have a contingency in place should that occur.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
danham
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Gidi Ferder wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:40 am You are saying that updating the maps on the pc Would not change or corrupt the planned routes?
Well I guess you are right that it does make sense to downgrade the maps. And that thought leaves me no choice but to take the risk. At least I remember most of my routes on the maps by heart.
Yes, I have done this and it works for fairly long (200+ miles) complex routes (lots of turns). The best explanation is Peobody's reply above.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Gidi Ferder
Israel

Post by Gidi Ferder »

Ok. Got my act together.
The problem with Garmin is the unfriendly programs.
I made some mistakes (to shameful to specify) but now all maps are updated.
The correct order was to update then map on then pc and than recalculating all the route on BC with the new map.
After updating the devises the transfer went perfect without recalculation of the imported routes.
Thanks for all the advises.
Gidi
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Thanks for reporting back.