Basecamp Data View

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
stevedo
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Basecamp Data View

Post by stevedo »

I use the "Swap map and data views" from the View menu in Basecamp. When viewing the data view for waypoints I've added I only see data columns for "Symbol", "Name" and "Type". I could not find a way of displaying other data fields for the waypoints. The screenshot shows the data view and detail view of one of my waypoints. These waypoints have, for example, Postcode, phone number etc. as well as categories I've assigned. How/can I get additional data columns to show in data view?
Attachments
Basecamp Data View.jpg
Basecamp Data View.jpg (216.88 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
biglew55
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Re: Basecamp Data View

Post by biglew55 »

In the screenshot you posted, you're filter is on 'All'. You can see more data when you select an object type such as 'Waypoints' or 'Routes' at the top.
stevedo
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by stevedo »

Thanks for that @biglew55

I only have waypoints in that list so didn't even think of clicking on the different object types. As a follow-up question, do you know if it's possible to change the headers? For example, by default the data view shows temperature for the waypoint but I never add this. I do, however, fill in other attributes such as city which is not displayed.

I can see no way in the Basecamp UI to modify the attribute headers in data view.
biglew55
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by biglew55 »

I don't see many options to customize the headers in that view.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I don't know of a way of modifying the data view display. You can export a list to a .csv file which then allows you to see all of the data for each point (it is comma delimited). The export contains a lot of superfluous information so would require some effort to turn it into a reference document.
clipimage.jpg
clipimage.jpg (191.12 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:46 pm I don't know of a way of modifying the data view display. You can export a list to a .csv file which then allows you to see all of the data for each point (it is comma delimited). The export contains a lot of superfluous information so would require some effort to turn it into a reference document.
If you have Excel, that will import most text files, including CSV. You can specify which character to use as a delimiter, and set it to ignore characters between quotation marks. Maybe other spreadsheets would do the same ? For me Excel is set as the default program to use for opening a CSV file, and It opens up immediately organised into columns.

Not 100% foolproof but it is a good way of getting data into columns and getting rid of unwanted columns..

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:02 am If you have Excel, that will import most text files, including CSV.
Oops! It was a big assumption on my part to think that all readers would know that a .CSV file is normally a spreadsheet file (Excel, Libre Office Calc, Open Office Calc, and the like).
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.