660 up dates

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
Northwestbudda
Great Britain

660 up dates

Post by Northwestbudda »

Hello forum just signed up to the forum I have used my 660 for over ten years now all over Europe clocking up nearly 90,000 miles.my unit has not been up dated for some years now and when I went to do an up date on garmin express it came up with not space,this looks to be well covered on this site however iam not tech savvy,is there a Janet and John step by step how to?or better still someone out there who can walk me through the steps.thanks all good forum lots of useful info.happy Xmas bud….
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: 660 up dates

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forum.

I've moved your post to the Zumo 660 section so that more people with relevant info will spot it.

I cannot do a Janet and John for you. It has been a long time since I had a 660. I do remember however that the 660 was limited for space, so I used to select regions of the maps available, depending in where I was going. I think this was done using Garmin Express - very. early version.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

OK - I've found some more info.

Close down Basecamp / Mapsource. Make sure that Garmin Express isn't running in the back ground.

You may have success using Garmin Express, but using my 595 (which has plenty of memory) I coudn't find an option for partial install.

If not, stop it interfering with the USB port:

Open Express, click the gear icon to see this screen.
Express.jpg
Express.jpg (39.08 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
Untick all of the boxes. Click OK. And then close Express

Try using MapInstall Instead

Garmin MapInstall is still available here. https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... sp?id=3291

Install, load Mapinstall onto your PC.

MapInstall Step 1.jpg
MapInstall Step 1.jpg (45.71 KiB) Viewed 1447 times

Let it find your Zumo, which should be plugged into the PC via its PC port.
When the Device box shows your zumo, click the customize buttom

MapInstall Step 2.jpg
MapInstall Step 2.jpg (91.9 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
Observe maps installed and the amount of free space available. If there is not enough space, you may have to make some by deleting the existing maps. For that you need to go into the Internal Storage / Map folder and get rid of the relevant .img, .gml, .unl files. Which ones, I do not know, but I know that you can use Basecamp to find out which numbers go with which maps. It would be a good idea to copy all of these to your PC, so that you can put them back again should it go wrong. SOmeone with a 660 at hand will need to help you if there is not enough room.

Back to the plot, assuming you have space. Click the Advanced/Partial Install button

MapInstall Step 3.jpg
MapInstall Step 3.jpg (114.85 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
On this screen, you can zoom in and select the regions that you want to install. Click the region to select it for install - it highlights in yellow as you are over it, and then in black outline when it is selected. Use CTRL and left clcik to deselect a region. You can see the green progress bar showing how much memory is used and is still left.

I suggest that you try this with a couple of small regions before doing an entire area - just to make sure that it works. It'll save having to wait a few hours for it to complete, before you find out whether it worked or not.

Click Continue. and wait. and wait. If you are wroking on a laptop, make sure that it doesn't go to sleep !!

MapInstall Step 4.jpg
MapInstall Step 4.jpg (29.77 KiB) Viewed 1447 times

And that is about as much as I can tell you. Someone else may chime in. In the same forum that this is placed, there is another thread called Map Updates. In there, someone mentions that MapInstall still works.

Good luck !!

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Northwestbudda
Great Britain

Post by Northwestbudda »

Thank you for your quick reply,I will look to copying the maps from my 660 or just remove the sd card and put in a new one,my worries are I might wipe off the out of date maps and have only limited coverage and as I do use the 660 on the continent small maps would be a pain.
Northwestbudda
Great Britain

Post by Northwestbudda »

Hi just been down to the garage to take the 660 off the bike,the maps on the nav are cn Europe nt 2018.20. (1) all and cn Europe nt 2018.20 3d.so does this mean I have two sets of map?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I don't know.

I would guess that the 3d map is exactly that - a 3D rendering of the base map. Mine doesn't have that, but it does have Europe DEM which is a digital elevation map so that it can render the base map in three dimensions - hills etc. My understanding is that the maps are 'layered' so you use the standard map and if you enable the 3d map then you have that facility as well, but you don't need to have it, or have it turned on.

But that is a guess. If you have identified the files that represent the maps - the files with the same number but different extension belong to one map. Eg (3 characters after the dot) - eg .img .unl the .unl is the unlock code to enable the maps to be used and is specific to your device (I think).

To finish that sentence - if you have identified the files, then make a folder for them on you computer and copy all of them. THen you can put them back if there are problems.

We need someone else to chime in here because it is a very long time since I worked with the map files and the 660. But its Christmas and everyone is busy doing other stuff.

Northwestbudda
Great Britain

Post by Northwestbudda »

Thank you for your quick reply,your answer make’s sence I have dug out my lap top and it’s doing up dates on itself.when it done that I will wipe off ge and try to down load map source and then down load just maps to lap top.and take it from there.now do all info go on to the sd card or is split across card and unit? If you take out the card and put a new on in would that save having to down load the old maps off?..anyway we will have to see if some 660 guru can help in the new year.merry Xmas to all….bud….
Northwestbudda
Great Britain

Post by Northwestbudda »

Hi have got as far as down loading map install to my laptop but cannot find the sat nav box with all the leads in it (been tidied up for Christmas) so will have to move forward in the new year.
Attachments
169CFB94-9A3A-4577-823E-DD107F4257D0.jpeg
169CFB94-9A3A-4577-823E-DD107F4257D0.jpeg (576.7 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
carolinarider09
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

Have a Happy New Year!

I upgraded my maps on my 660 just after 2024.20 came out. I believe I did the download to my computer only (with the 660 attached) and then used Mapsource to upload the maps I wanted to the Zumo' memory card but I will have to check to see where they are stored.

I did it before I did my 665 just to be sure it worked and then found out Garmin had dropped the 665 from lifetime maps due to "insufficient memory". I have my 665 upgraded by the Palm Doctor to 16gb. Was good for a few years....

Good luck.
Northwestbudda
Great Britain

Post by Northwestbudda »

Happy new year to you and yours,I have managed to down load the maps to my pc only and using map install with the 660 connected it tells me I only have 8 gig or so space to use even though I have a 16 gig card in plus what the unit has so Western Europe will not fit.can I simply remove the card and put a new one in or does some of the software go onto the units drive?the 660 works fine as is and the maps it has are 2018 which are newer than I thought.I ride a bmwr1250gsa and have use of the connected ride app as a back up,so until I can be 100% sure I will not mess up the 660 I think I will leave it alone for now.one thing I have picked up this forum knows more about garmin nav,s than garmin do!or do they just want to sell new kit?.many thanks for all your replies they are very much appreciated happy trails bud…..