Adding the shaping points

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Re: Adding the shaping points

Post by lkraus »

I wish Garmin had found different terms for copy/duplicate. After all, a copy machine and a duplicating machine are the same things. If it has been more than a few weeks since I planned a route, I have to Google the difference to be sure I'm using the right command.
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Thanks, but what's the purpose of Copy if it repeat all changes of the original?

Recently I made a Duplicate of my route (in the same directory). I made a small change in it, but it still replicated that change in the original route.
Only when I made a different subfolder and moved the Duplicated route in it, I could change it without messing the original one in the other subfolder.
Last edited by Fxwheels on Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Hmmm ... that shouldn't happen. If you duplicate a route you can make changes without affecting the original, even if it's in the same folder. Exactly what change did you make?
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I was talking about copy and duplicate of a waypoint, not a route. Sorry for the confusion.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

sussamb wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:53 pm Hmmm ... that shouldn't happen. If you duplicate a route you can make changes without affecting the original, even if it's in the same folder. Exactly what change did you make?
I expanded the route by adding few more miles to it.
Yes, the Copy vs the Duplicate is confusing.
Although, I suspect that if you Copy and change it - it will reflect the change in the original one no matter if in the same or a different directory. But then what's the purpose of "Copy"?
Duplicate will not change the original if it was moved to a different directory. Need to experiment more.
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

Fxwheels wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:04 pm Yes, the Copy vs the Duplicate is confusing.
Although, I suspect that if you Copy and change it - it will reflect the change in the original one no matter if in the same or a different directory. But then what's the purpose of "Copy"?
I use it a lot to have waypoints and routes in more than one list. E.g. I have lists of waypoints by country, and those waypoints also appear in lists for different trips.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

colirv wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:26 pm I use it a lot to have waypoints and routes in more than one list. E.g. I have lists of waypoints by country, and those waypoints also appear in lists for different trips.
My too. I have a list called "_My Waypoints" that contains points that I use repeatedly. Three of them are my home, my heading eastward starting point, and my heading westward starting point. BTW, the leading underscore character keeps that list sorted at the top.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I use Copy mostly for points that I want to use in multiple routes. StartN or StartS, for example, are the nearest intersections from home and are used frequently. There are a couple hiking trailheads, which I can reach from different directions, a couple diners. The trailhead parking area of one state park was moved when they did some reconstruction, so I only had to change the coordinates of one point to fix three different routes I use to reach it. By using Copy, I don't have multiple names for the same location cluttering up my Saved/Favourites list and it simplifies the Basecamp database.

I use Duplicate most often to take an existing route and modify it to create a new route or just to experiment with various changes. Maybe a favorite route is too long for the time I have available but I can shortcut that one corner of the loop, or maybe half the route is just right but I want to see what I find if I turn right instead of left. I can modify the duplicate and still have the original route intact.
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

lkraus wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:57 pm I use Copy mostly for points that I want to use in multiple routes.
Got it.
Thanks.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Fxwheels wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:04 pm
sussamb wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:53 pm Hmmm ... that shouldn't happen. If you duplicate a route you can make changes without affecting the original, even if it's in the same folder. Exactly what change did you make?
I expanded the route by adding few more miles to it.
Yes, the Copy vs the Duplicate is confusing.
Duplicate will not change the original if it was moved to a different directory. Need to experiment more.
Copy is there so you can create the same route but with a different name if necessary but you're correct, any changes in one is made in any copy, so saves you having to make the same change multiple times