Cleaning Files from Zumo XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
m185945
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Cleaning Files from Zumo XT

Post by m185945 »

Has anyone come up with a list of Windows temporary files or non-English files that can be removed from the Zumo XT for the purpose of freeing Zumo storage? For example:
Computer\zūmo XT\Internal Storage\GPX\temp.gpx
And what about removing keyboards files for other languages?
There are some very large .gpi files here. Are they candidates for removal?
Computer\zūmo XT\Internal Storage\POI
And what about .glx files from here? Are they candidates for removal?
Computer\zūmo XT\Internal Storage\Text
And what about non-English .vpm files from here?
Computer\zūmo XT\Internal Storage\Voice
Are any of the above candidates for safe deletion and storage conservation?

I thank you in advance.
Novice using the zumo XT.
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Re: Cleaning Files from Zumo XT

Post by jfheath »

I have deleted keyboard files and language files from my 550 and 660. The 590, 595 and XT I haven't bothered - theres loads of space. Music, which I like to have, but rarely listen to goes onto an SD card. Routes I clear out regularly, and only keep the ones I want for the next trip

Temp.gpx contains the last set routes tracks and waypoints that is sent from Basecamp. ie the stuff that is transferred.
Current.gpx contains the routes that have been imported. If you delete a route from the Zumo Trip planner, this gives the opportunity to import it again. If you keep all your routes on you Zumo, then I imagine that this will be quite large.

There will be other language stuff that you dont need. Copy the entire contents to a hard disc, and then delete the stuff you think isn't needed. Then you can put it back.

Aways assuming that you didn't delete any system files.!!!!

To clear out the routes etc

Delete all routes in trip planner
Delete all tracks in the track app
Delete all Favourites from the 'where to' screen
Clear History from the 'where to' screen

Then connect to a computer.

delete temp.gpx and current.gpx from internal storage / gpx

Let the zumo restart, then power it off again - long press the power button, let it restart again from cold.
This step isn't always necessary, but sometimes it is and I don't know the circumstances.
The boot process seems to go through procedures to make sure that the working files and data are all set up correctly, and it sometimes needs to require it to be done in two steps.

But Zumo will put back a new empty version of temp, current when you transfer and import new routes.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
m185945
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by m185945 »

Just the information I was looking for. Thank you very much for going into so much detail. I understand it all. Thank you again. Much appreciated.
Keith
Novice using the zumo XT.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I should have mentioned currenttracklog.gpx and archive.

If you have the option turned on, then your rides are automatically recorded as tracks in Current Track Log .gpx
These tracks record time, date, position, course (direction) speed and can be displayed on a map eg Basecamp, but I put them into Memory maps and view on Uk ordnance survey maps.

Every so often, the data in CurrentTrackLog is archived into the archive folder. On most Zumos this is just a straight copy of CurrentTrackLog into the next numbered archive file. But the XT is slightly different. Whatever, Archive will keep the last 20 files before deleting the earliest and adding a later one.

If you want to keep your archives, you need to download them periodically eg every couple of months.

The Xt seems to perform some tidying up of the archives files, and it may for example shuffle data between the last few files - so although you have copied and saved say 23.gpx, 24.gpx, 25.gpx , when you come to make a backup of 26.gpx those earlier files may have changed.

I think it cleans out all of the short logs that are created each time you turn on your XT at home. I think it also attempts to make sure that a single long ride is not broken up between separate files.

Some people don't like to have this info recorded eg evidence of speeding. But the speed recorded is a snapshot and is rarely accurate. But it does record where you are at a particular time. Or where your satnav was.

I find them to be a really useful historic record of my rides, holidays and trips, and can be used to georeference holiday photos.

if you have the facility turned on there is ittle point in deleting them, they will, over time, reappear with new data, but epwill never exceed 20 files each of about 1Mb in the archive.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Travel history is not enabled on my XT yet I have a CurrentTrackLog.gpx file. Interestingly, its timestamp is updated with the startup time of the XT. Also updated with the same timestamp are Current.gpx and Position.gpx. I am wondering...
... why Current.gpx is changed?
... why is CurrentTrackLog.gpx changed? I also wonder why it exists although I recognize that I might have briefly enabled travel history in the past.
... what is the purpose of Position.gpx?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Questions 1 and 2, I don't know the answer to. I do know that at some point the files are processed and re-arranged on the XT - tidied up and collated into around 1Gb chunks. Stuff that was in 26.gpx last time you looked has now been put into 24.gpx or 25.gpx Also, CurrentTrackLog can grow to be in excessof 3Mb but the numbered archives are onl 1Mb. I think the earlier data in CurrentTrackLog is skimmed off for the archive file.

Garmin say the last 3 months of data is kept, but I see that the latest 20 numbered files in the archive are kept. That may mean the same thing. Or not.

You don't have 'Travel History' turned on ?

Can you do me a favour please and look in .System/GPX
There is a file in there called DriveLog.gpx - which seems to be a duplicate of CurrentTrackLog.gpx
There is also an archive folder which has a number of DriveLognnn.nn gpx files - which also correspond (ish) to the other archive folder

I was wondering why the two copies and whether the one in System is always recorded whether or not Travel History is turned on.

I've always had my travle History turned on, so I cannot tell - but you might be able to .

Position.gpx contains a record of your coordinates when you turned off the Zumo last. It is used for speeding up the location of satellites when you turn it on again. When the Zumo is brand new out of the box, it can take 3 minutes or more to obtain an accurate fix. If you delete it, you end up having to wait for the Zumo to get a fix before you can set off.

You can delete Archive and CurrentTrackLog.gpx in InternalStorage/GPX - but since I normally like to have the files.

If you do a system reset, the Archive folder isn't there. The Zumo creates it when CurrentTrackLog needs to be renewed and its contents put into the archive.
CurrentTrackLog will be created as soon as it starts recording the track when you set off. I guess it is created the first time the Zumo is turned on after it has been deleted.

If you delete them, you may have to do a hard power off and a restart a couple of times. I suspect (but haven't proved) that if files that it needs are missing, it abandons its normal startup routine and instead creates the missing files from backups or other data. Once these have been creeated it has to restart the boot process before it can use them. (I think).

Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:52 pm Can you do me a favour please and look in .System/GPX
There is a file in there called DriveLog.gpx - which seems to be a duplicate of CurrentTrackLog.gpx
There is also an archive folder which has a number of DriveLognnn.nn gpx files - which also correspond (ish) to the other archive folder

I was wondering why the two copies and whether the one in System is always recorded whether or not Travel History is turned on.
Travel history is not enabled.
CurrentTrackLog.gpx and DriveLog.gpx are not duplicates although both were modified during wake-from-sleep of the XT based on their timestamp. The first clue was that they are different sizes. I then did a text compare using the Windows FC (File Compare) tool. The results are below in case someone cares to analyze it further.

Edit: The compare results are not pertinent so I have removed them. The fact that the files are different answers the inquiry by @jfheath.
Last edited by Peobody on Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

So, I left my XT connected to my PC while I had lunch then walked two dogs, separately. When I returned (about 3 hours), the Position.gpx file was gone. It was back after a disconnect, start, reconnect. Perhaps it just stores the current position for a limited period of time when the XT is on (connected and/or sleeping).

Regarding CurrentTrackLog.gpx, I was curious about why it was there since travel history is off so I renamed it then did a disconnect, start, reconnect. A new one was created. It appears that it gets created or updated on startup regardless of whether travel history is enabled.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

You guys went through all these file descriptions and deletions, blahblahblah. I do none of this when I clear all the tracks and routes out of both my 595 and my XT. A few clicks on the device screen and a few in Base Camp and done.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

rbentnail wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:20 pm You guys went through all these file descriptions and deletions, blahblahblah. I do none of this when I clear all the tracks and routes out of both my 595 and my XT. A few clicks on the device screen and a few in Base Camp and done.
Yes - and that is method that works as well. The gobbledegook that @Peobody copied and pasted was in response to a specific question that I asked of him, and that was useful to me. I'll go back and edit it out as it is probably not much use to anyone else - unless he beats me to it.

I like to make things easy for myself - my method works for all of the Zumos that I have owned - so I tend to stick with that.
Your method does not work in the same way for the Zumo 590. But this is an XT thread so probably not relevant.