what3words & Garmin Drive App

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

what3words & Garmin Drive App

Post by simoncrewe »

Until recently I have been successfully using 'what3words' to find locations & send them to my XT via the Garmin Drive App.

Over the past few days, when I try to do this, I get an error message in the Drive App : 'location information not present in the link provided'.

Has anyone else come across this? I have sent a note to both Garmin & what3words, however, I think Garmin will show no interest as it is not their software.

Regards

Simon
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Re: what3words & Garmin Drive App

Post by Stu »

Just had a look at mine and its doing the same thing
simoncrewe
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Many thanks Stu, I assume when Garmin updated the Drive App recently they changed something, intentionally or by accident!
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I'm not sure! as it could be what3words that could be causing the issue :?
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I never thought of sending what3words to Drive.

In W3W there are some settings, one of which is what format the Share option uses. I suspect that this may have changed, but I couldn't get any combination to work. I don't know whether this was always the case or not. I haven't updated either recently - although I do seem to have the latest version of each app.

But regardless of that, Drive is happy to accept ///what.three.words format when typed.

So when you have found the location in W3W, if you long press the ///what.three.words link at the top -

* The android phone copies that to the clipboard automatically
* My ipad pops up a copy button that you can press

In Garmin Drive, this can then be pasted and sent to the XT.

Not quite what you wanted, but it is a quick enough alternative to get the job done.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

My guess is that Garmin Drive has changed. If you try to 'share' a location from 'Google Maps' to Garmin Drive you will get the same error. I have no proof, but am quite certain that it has worked in the past.

The search function in Garmin Drive works. What more can you do in What3Words? Why do you prefer that?
simoncrewe
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Thanks for your observation, It looks like Garmin Drive was updated on 15/11/23, maybe the functionality changed the. I find what3words very useful here in the UK, as post codes tend to cover very large areas & are not that precise.

I seem to remember Garmin did a similar thing a few years ago, when they removed the ability to use Google maps with Basecamp.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

simoncrewe wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:58 am I seem to remember Garmin did a similar thing a few years ago, when they removed the ability to use Google maps with Basecamp.
Garmin (and Furkot, and many other companies) dropped Google Maps when Google boosted the price for access to their API by several thousand percent. What had been nearly free became too costly to use, especially in programs which were free.
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bundanoonboy »

Hey guys,
I have been using what3words daily to send coordinates to my garmin 65 satnav. It always worked seamlessly until this month and now I have the same issue you mention.
My satnav needed update so I tried that but it didn't fix the issue, I contacted what3words and they say it must be a problem with Garmin. I contacted garmin, and get this, they say I must be imagining it because their devices have never worked with what3words!!!!
simoncrewe
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Typical Garmin - it used to work perfectly!