what3words & Garmin Drive App

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Re: what3words & Garmin Drive App

Post by FrankB »

It's no problem for me. Sharing directly from google maps to garmin drive works.
I was just curious. Thanks for your efforts.
Cyberbrett
Been liked: 1 time
Australia

Post by Cyberbrett »

This is definitely a Drive app issue. Here is a list of apps that it used to work with and now does not
Geocaching App
Adventure Lab App
Whats App
FuelMap App
WikiCamo App
Here is a response from Garmin USA that another person has received
On 2/12/24 (from Garmin)
There is a case open for this issue, at this moment it's partially fixed. A full release is expected in the future, you are added onto the case. When a solution has been made, you will be e-mailed.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,

Ky
Product Support
Garmin International

Maybe we all need to open a case with Garmin Pruduct Support asking for an Update on the issue?
guiri
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by guiri »

Cyberbrett wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:51 pm Geocaching App
Geocaching sends its navigate instructions using the geo intent, in the following format...

Code: Select all

geo:lat,lng?q=lat,lng(Geocache)
GarmIn Drive currently ignores the coordinates and will try and lookup a location called Geocache, which is a nonsense. If the Geocaching location is sent to NavHelper, the waypoint that is created will be named Geocache.
Cyberbrett wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:51 pm Whats App
WhatsApp sends its navigate instructions using the geo intent, in the following format...

Code: Select all

geo:lat,lng?q=lat,lng
Garmin Drive currently ignores the coordinates.

NavHelper will handle both these cases in order to generate a waypoint file for sending to the XT (for those that don't want to wait for the Garmin fix).

For reference, software version dates tested for this post...
Garmin Drive - 2 Jan 2024
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I question whether Drive is sending any coordinates to the XT.

If I type or paste coordinates directly into Drive, it searches for a nearby street address and sends the address. The point on the XT can be a long distance away, or even on the opposite side of the road from the coordinates. Obviously, this is unsuitable for geocaching.

If I enter coordinates in a rural area where there are no addresses, Drive reports "No results found" and does not send anything to the XT.

I think this is a change in Drive behavior, as I'm sure I have sent coordinates to the XT in the past. It is not something I do frequently, so I can't say when the change occurred.
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by guiri »

lkraus wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:47 pm I'm sure I have sent coordinates to the XT in the past
You're not imagining it. I still have the word "Coordinates" in the Where To History of the XT rather than the "Shared Locations" that you get now.