How to add a full size image to a post

Need help with the forum? or got some forum feedback? Please use this section.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

How to add a full size image to a post

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:00 am There is a way to get a full size image in your post. I haven't mastered this yet - I think that you have to store them externally and link to them. I must find out one day.
  • Store the image somewhere online. I use imgbb.com.
  • Copy the image URL
  • Click the 'Insert image' button in the forum post composition toolbar
  • Paste the image URL
I suspect that once the image is removed from the source it will no longer appear in the post.

This is me. :D (I hope this actually works.)
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: How to add a full size image to a post

Post by jfheath »

Yes - that worked for that picture, but when the image is bigger than a certain size, it reduces the displayed image - but you can get the full size one if you click on it. This is a technique for making the full page load faster.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Right. The method of adding an attachment limits its filesize whereas this method provides access to the full image. Was there something else that you had in mind?
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Using an external source is not a good idea as if anything happens you can lose that image from the post

If you want larger images I can increase the size if need be
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I don't work with images much so did not have a sense about filesize before this discussion. I have since scanned through my pictures and documents and only found one image that would have exceeded the 8MiB attachment limit of the forum. This tells me that an 8 MiB document will be large. If it is an image added to a post as an attachment, will the image be reduced in size in the post but expand when clicked on?
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Its not about the MiB its about the pixel size

I have made a slight change let me know if things are better

If not let me know what you want and I will take a look at the settings :)
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Stu wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:14 pm Its not about the MiB its about the pixel size
The attachment tab says "Maximum filesize per attachment: 8 MiB." which is where my attention to filesize came from.

@Stu, I pose these questions out of curiosity and not for any forum accommodation consideration.

I have an image (.PNG) that is 4100x4100 pixels,16.3 MB (15.5 MiB) filesize. This it too large to attach so using the 'insert image' tool would be the only way to show it in a post, correct? If so, do you know whether the forum would attempt to display the full image inside the forum post panel or would it display a small version on which a click would open the full version?
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

This was a comment that I made as an off-hand in another thread, which was picked up by @Peobody.

From a personal point of view, if I am trying to explain something and I want to illustrate it, particularly with a single Zumo screen shot, it would be clearer if the full size image was displayed full size.

But I don't think 8Mb is the limiting factor in this case.

The screen shot below is a full size 1280x720 .png file which is 656Kb.
218587.png
218587.png (746.9 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

-------

This one is probably better at 50% size - 640 x 360 = 207Kb
50pc.png
50pc.png (232.39 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

-------

And this one is 33% size at 422 x 238 = 106Kb

33pc.png
33pc.png (119.6 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

All are well below the 8Mb limit, but the first two get resized to about 493 x 277.

I think for the screenshot images (which I tend to use a lot) the 50Pc size is about the right size to illustrate an explanation and it will fit well within the forums text Window - on a landscape PC screen. BUT - how it would display on a handheld device is another issue. Maybe the displayed size limit is to do with making the forum readable on as many devices as possible ?

EDIT - having had this sitting half completed for a while, I've just come to finish it off.
These images are displaying much more legibly now !!

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

@jfheath, clicking on an image displays it in its native size. This was one thing I wasn't sure of but your post containing three differently sized images allowed me to confirm it. Based on this, my previous question about the handling of large images via URL is mute. IMO, there is plenty of image handling capability in the Attachment tab for reasonable needs.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Peobody wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:20 pm
Stu wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:14 pm Its not about the MiB its about the pixel size
The attachment tab says "Maximum filesize per attachment: 8 MiB." which is where my attention to filesize came from.

@Stu, I pose these questions out of curiosity and not for any forum accommodation consideration.

I have an image (.PNG) that is 4100x4100 pixels,16.3 MB (15.5 MiB) filesize. This it too large to attach so using the 'insert image' tool would be the only way to show it in a post, correct? If so, do you know whether the forum would attempt to display the full image inside the forum post panel or would it display a small version on which a click would open the full version?
Try and upload it and see what happens

Anything over 1600x1600 pixels should get resized which should then bring it below the 8MiB anyway

The 8MiB will only affect anything that is not resized

if an image is larger than 500x500 pixels it will be made to look smaller until you click on the image where it will then enlarge

This only really happens on a PC/mac etc mobile devices handle images differently

I would be more than willing to alter settings to get things working better if it helps things