CN NA 2024.20

Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Re: CN NA 2024.20

Post by Les »

twowheelstom wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:38 am since I see no place on this entire Zumo Forum for any questions and answers on using Garmin;s MapInstall program, I am starting to believe that either #1 no one knows MapInstall even exists, or #2 no one understands what it's for, or #3 no one knows how to use it. I am inclined to believe now that all 3 are true.
I use Mapinstall when updating my Zumo 660, mainly because Express doesn't recognise the SD card, so tells me there's not enough memory.

It’s well documented elsewhere on the forum.
twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

Hi Garmin Support:
I would like to know about the Zumo XT Map Update
someone on the Zumo forum said that when doing a Map Update for the Zumo XT using Garmin Express, Express installs a file on the Zumo for Junction View.
On the Garmin support page for Junction View, it says Junction View is a navigational aid that displays when on an active route.
this forum person explained that when using MapInstall to load selected maps from computer to device, this Junction View file is not installed on the Zumo XT
Is this true?
is the Junction View file only installed on the device when using Garmin Express?
Actually, I don't believe this Junction View is a separate file but it part of the map update file.
is Junction View a separate file other than the map update file?
I think this person on the Zumo Forum is giving incorrect advice.
He disagrees with me that using MapInstall will fail to install this Junction View file on the XT
Thanks

To interested persons, when Garmin Support gives me a reply to my email, I will post it here.
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Les wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:22 am I use Mapinstall when updating my Zumo 660, mainly because Express doesn't recognise the SD card, so tells me there's not enough memory.

It’s well documented elsewhere on the forum.
Yep, your 660 is an older device where MapInstall is a suitable option.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

@twowheelstom

You can check this yourself. The junction view file is a separate file named *.jcv and will be in the JCV folder on your device. The * will match the name of the map file on your device and the dates/times will also match. It isn't sent if you use MapInstall.
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

Hello,
The junction view is part of the map update and updated with the map files.
The zumo XT is updated using Wi-Fi or Garmin Express so Map Install will not apply to this unit.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,

Product Support
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

Thank you Garmin Support for your reply,

So Garmin MapInstall will not apply to the XT, so my question now is how do I use Garmin Express to just load selected East Coast Canada maps and East Coast USA States maps onto the XT if MapInstall will not apply? I didn't want to install all of North America onto the XT.
Can Express be used to just select these map areas? Or will Express load all of North America onto the XT
Thanks
Your replies are helpful.
Zumo user,
Canada
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I cannot answer your question, but I am curious as to why you don't want to update all of the maps that come with the XT. With 32Gb of internal memory, nearly half is still empty with all the standard maps.
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

lkraus wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:30 pm I cannot answer your question, but I am curious as to why you don't want to update all of the maps that come with the XT. With 32Gb of internal memory, nearly half is still empty with all the standard maps.
Agreed. That really is the simple solution and will make every future update simple too
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Post by Les »

sussamb wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:09 am Yep, your 660 is an older device where MapInstall is a suitable option.
Just to add.. I have also used it on my Garmin Camper 760, to install OSM for Moroccow.
Last edited by Les on Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

That's fine too, just that the latest Garmin devices shouldn't use it to update the Garmin CN maps or you lose junction view and some other functionality as Express installs more than just the map during a so called 'map' update