Garmin withdraw map updates for older devices

carolinarider09
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
United States of America

Re: Garmin withdraw map updates for older devices

Post by carolinarider09 »

I tired to update my maps today on my Garmin 665LM (it has the additional memory from The Palm Dr) and I was denied. I updated the maps this past week on my 660 and it worked ok.

Did my wife's Garmin Nuvi 1370 yesterday as well. No issues.

Really a bad move by Garmin

Oh, so I checked the "notes" on the Garmin website and found that the 665 and 665LM are not allowed to update due to "Memory" size.

But the 660 and my wife's Nuvi are not listed. Guess they have enough memory.

Funny thing, I have not updated my Zumo 550LM because the new maps use upper and lower case letters in street names and I don't like just seeing a couple of letters for the street names.

Oh well............ The 665 will be good for couple more years with the older maps and I have the 660 for backup when I travel on the bike.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Wondering...

If you use the 660 to install the new maps on your computer for Basecamp, can you then use Maps>MapInstall (or the Mac equivalent) to transfer them to the 665?
United States of America

Post by hammer »

Thx for confirming. When I started threads on this everyone kept saying must be issue with my device. I think 665 and 660 have same amount of memory. Can someone confirm this? Don't understand why they would supply maps for one but not the other. Wonder if they will stop updates for 660 soon?

I am seriously considering trying one of those android auto devices on the bike. If it weren't end of season i would probably get it. Has 30 day return to try it out. But don't think get much time to try it right now with weather and getting dark so early.
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

lkraus wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:35 pm Wondering...

If you use the 660 to install the new maps on your computer for Basecamp, can you then use Maps>MapInstall (or the Mac equivalent) to transfer them to the 665?
I asked this very question on one of these threads and was told no? Would be good for someone to try so can confirm.
carolinarider09
United States of America

Regarding Open Street Maps, is there a list of issues, processes or methods to be used when upgrading a Garmin device.

And I see it is out of the UK. Are any of our UK members here involved?

This is the link I found. https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=4/38.01/-95.84

I did join and logged in but...... I will need help. Tutorial....

If someone has a suggestion, please send me a message or post the information here. Would like to see how it all works out.
carolinarider09
United States of America

hammer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:39 pm
lkraus wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:35 pm Wondering...

I asked this very question on one of these threads and was told no? Would be good for someone to try so can confirm.
I can only tell you this. Upgraded my 660, this past week, to the new maps 2024.20 (I think that is the name). I started the process by downloading the maps to my computer first and then, sometime later, updating my device. Worked fine for my 660. And then I did my wife's nevi 1370, same way, different computer (just because I like to keep the computers updated). Worked find for the 1370 but took two hours. But maps were there. So... it worked.
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

What we are asking is to try mapinstall instead of garmin express to try to install maps on 665. Open basecamp. on top go to maps tab, then scroll down to install maps. when connected, Zumo 665 should appear. then try to install.
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Post by Les »

carolinarider09 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:16 pm But the 660 and my wife's Nuvi are not listed. Guess they have enough memory.
Whenever I update my 660 I always get the message, 'not enough memory' despite having a large enough memory card.

I always go through the routine as described by Ikraus.
carolinarider09
United States of America

hammer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:21 pm What we are asking is to try mapinstall instead of garmin express to try to install maps on 665. Open basecamp. on top go to maps tab, then scroll down to install maps. when connected, Zumo 665 should appear. then try to install.
Ok... I tried the above. I did find that the maps 2024.2 are installed, as shown by Basecamp but Basecamp does not show me an option to transfer the maps to my 665. I must admit I do not use Basecamp. I keep it updated just in case.
carolinarider09
United States of America

While it is not specially germane to the issue in the "Subject" each time I have connected by 665 to my computer (MaxBook Air and an iMac) and the map update was not allowed and I then tried to remove the device's connection (in the Mac you drag the icon for the "drive" to the "Trash" icon), it took more than a minute for the device to taken "offline". In fact I get the message that some program is using the device.

So, it would appear that something is going on in the background. This occurred on both computers today when I was attempting to up date the maps.

Oh, I could not select an option to update my maps on the 665 from Basecamp. But then I know little about Basecamp.
Last edited by carolinarider09 on Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.