Latest XT2/Tread software version

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
turbo19
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 5 times
Andorra

Latest XT2/Tread software version

Post by turbo19 »

Hello everyone,

I have created this post to comment the latest versions of the XT2 and Tread software.

Today I updated the XT2 to version 4.50. It seems to fix several bugs.

At the moment today (10/26/2023) the 2 available versions of software are:

XT2 software: 4.50
Tread software (Android): 2.07.40
Tread software (IOS): 2.07.40

Greetings
technoguppy
Been liked: 24 times
Canada

Re: Latest XT2/Tread software version

Post by technoguppy »

Thanks Turbo19 (if that is your real name) :)

This is useful. Just updated my two units (map and firmware).

If you have read my other posts, you'll see that I am not a fan of the Tread App.

IMDO until they put something meaningful in their app update section, I'm inclined to leave it UNINSTALLED.

Their current (Android / Google Play) message reads "The Garmin Tread app is continually working to improve your experience when using the Garmin Tread. This version includes bug fixes to improve app and device functionality."

When it says something akin to "We've enabled the user to decide how they want to interface between the XT2 and the Tread App" I'll give it a try. Until then just pretending to hold my breath. Or until one of you fine forum readers informs me otherwise, of course.
Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
gwilki
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
Canada

Post by gwilki »

turbo19 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:21 pm Hello everyone,

I have created this post to comment the latest versions of the XT2 and Tread software.

Today I updated the XT2 to version 4.50. It seems to fix several bugs.

At the moment today (10/26/2023) the 2 available versions of software are:

XT2 software: 4.50
Tread software (Android): 2.07.40
Tread software (IOS): 2.07.40

Greetings
Tks, Turbo. I updated my XT2. It showed both a firmware and a map update.

I'm not using the dreaded Tread, but that version is the same one that I installed before I knew better. :D With any kind of luck, Garmin is working on it.
Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON Canada
turbo19
Andorra

Post by turbo19 »

New Tread version 2.07.41 (2023.10.25)

Does anyone know what's new?

Thanks,
gwilki
Canada

Post by gwilki »

This is from the Garmin site

Android

Version: 2.07.41

Release Date: 10/25/2023

Fix What's New issues
Fix RouteOverview crashes
Fix disappearing route info map lines
Android: Fix download crashes
Android: Fix panel min height
Android: Fix settings back behavior
Android: Fix Waypoint layout in Route Planner
Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON Canada
turbo19
Andorra

Post by turbo19 »

XT2 update 30.11.2023:

"Map Region Grouping file" V2.13

- Updating language display
- 352 Kb

;)
Jetfixer
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by Jetfixer »

After the 25 Oct update, both of our units will no longer charge without using a high power usb charger. I used to charge mine from my computer or a wall usb outlet. A call to Garmin tech support confirmed they changed something and suggested we buy their $20 chargers. Corporate greed.
gwilki
Canada

Post by gwilki »

Jetfixer wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:18 pm After the 25 Oct update, both of our units will no longer charge without using a high power usb charger. I used to charge mine from my computer or a wall usb outlet. A call to Garmin tech support confirmed they changed something and suggested we buy their $20 chargers. Corporate greed.
Funny you should say that. I didn't click to the idea that it was part of the update. Yesterday, I plugged my XT2 into my PC and got a message saying that unit was not charging. I had not seen that before. I wrote to Garmin and was told that was normal. They provided this link

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=H ... tab=topics

This states that the unit will not charge from a PC's USB port. So, I plugged the unit into an AC charger, as set out in the document. I got the same message. Now, Garmin wants a picture of the charger that I am using. I will send it later today. The label says its output is 2.1 amps, which complies with the requirements set out in the doc. Garmin also asked if I was using their 18" long cable, branded Garmin. The issue with that is that the cable that came with mine is nowhere near 18" long and there is no branding on it.

What I remarked on, though, was the convoluted charging properties of the unit. In brief,

1. If the unit is connected to the motorcycle mount, it will only charge if the unit is on.

2. If the unit is connected to the automotive mount, it will charge if the unit is on or in sleep mode.

3. If the unit is connected to a computer via USB, it will not charge at all.

4. If the unit is connected to a 2amp AC power adaptor, it "should" charge when on or in sleep mode.

So, the unit will not charge ever if it is turned off - according to this document.

I must assume that if the unit is connected to the motorcycle mount, but that mount is installed in an automobile, the motorcycle rules apply, since even Garmin could not have installed something that tells the motorcycle mount that it is in a car and not on a motorcyle. I assume that the vice versa would apply if the car mount was installed on a bike.

I have not yet checked to see if the unit will charge on a Saturday when the moon is full.

Garmin made it clear to me that the preferred method to charge the battery is to leave the unit turned on and attached to the motorcycle mount. Looking out at the 15cm of snow on the ground, that would mean not only leaving the battery in the bike all winter, but allowing it to be slowly discharged by an always-on Zumo. I must conclude that whoever wrote the firmware for this thing is not a motorcyclist in any of the northern states or Canada.
Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON Canada
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

A USB charger like this is useful to see what power is being supplied by it, especially to see what a Garmin GPS is doing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404547475905 ... 4540092567
gwilki
Canada

Post by gwilki »

I have a very similar one.
Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON Canada