Latest XT2/Tread software version

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Jetfixer
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Re: Latest XT2/Tread software version

Post by Jetfixer »

My main point here is that prior to that update both of our units would charge from just about ANY usb charger. I refuse to buy Garmin's charger and cord. FYI our Samsung "Fast Charger" phone chargers DO work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 287 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

The referenced document contains this statement:

When connected to a 2 AMP AC power adapter, the zūmo XT2 should charge when on or in sleep/standby. The device will not charge in off mode. A charger with less than 2A will not charge the device, or may only charge it at an exceptionally slow rate. Charging on the powered mount is the recommended form of charging.

The reference to it not charging when in off mode is disturbing but otherwise it makes it clear that a 2 AMP output charger is required. There is another paragraph that makes it clear that USB from a computer does not provide enough power to charge the device while it is on.

All of that said, I have an XT not an XT2. The above applies to the XT. I have not seen the XT go to sleep when connected to a PC so have never expected it to be able to charge. As for charging from an AC adapter, it turns on automatically when plugged in so the fact that it will not charge when off should not be an issue unless it is intentionally turned off after being connected (I plug it in then tap the power button to put in in sleep mode). Other sections of the XT2 manual appear to confirm that the XT2 works the same as the XT when it comes to charging. This paragraph is relevant:

Connect the device to an optional power adapter accessory, such as a wall power adapter.
You can purchase an approved Garmin® AC-DC adapter suitable for home or office use from a Garmin dealer or www.garmin.com. The device may charge slowly when connected to a third-party adapter.

Source: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... D823A.html
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
gwilki
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times
Canada

Post by gwilki »

I read it like you do, Peabody.

I simply find it convoluted that the charging specs are different between the bike mount and the car mount. I can't think of any reason why Garmin would program that in. Similarly, the idea that the unit cannot be off to charge is weird to me. All my other devices recommend turning the unit off before charging so that they are not using power at the same time they need power to charge.

Also, in my case, I am using an AC charger capable of 2.1 amps and I get the message from the zumo that it is not charging. I sent Garmin a link to the charger, but apparently that is not good enough. I need to send a picture of the output label. The only way I can read the text is with a magnifying glass, but if that's what it takes to get Garmin to believe me, I guess that's what I must do. As an aside, I am wondering if their documented specs for a charger are correct. I notice that their charger is rated at 2.4 amps.
Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON Canada
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I just tested my XT with a wall adapter rated at 1.55 amps. The battery indicator shows it charging. When I put it to sleep it displays "Charging the battery. Press the Power key to turn on." before the screen blackens. This is consistent with the document saying that it will charge with a lower amp adapter but inconsistent with your XT2 saying that it isn't charging. FWIW, all of my test have been done using the approx 18" Garmin cable that came with the XT.
gwilki
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times
Canada

Post by gwilki »

Peobody wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:37 pm I just tested my XT with a wall adapter rated at 1.55 amps. The battery indicator shows it charging. When I put it to sleep it displays "Charging the battery. Press the Power key to turn on." before the screen blackens. This is consistent with the document saying that it will charge with a lower amp adapter but inconsistent with your XT2 saying that it isn't charging. FWIW, all of my test have been done using the approx 18" Garmin cable that came with the XT.
Just out of curiosity, does your cable have any Garmin branding on it?
Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON Canada
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Yes, it has "Garmin" imprinted on the USB end. I have a generic longer cable that I carry with me when traveling (solely for Basecamp to XT work). I will dig that out, test charging with it, and report back.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I'm back. I have tested with a 1.55 amp AC adapter and a 60" generic cable. The behaviour was normal (eg: the same as with the Garmin cable).
Jetfixer
United States of America

Post by Jetfixer »

Peobody wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:37 pm I just tested my XT with a wall adapter rated at 1.55 amps. The battery indicator shows it charging. When I put it to sleep it displays "Charging the battery. Press the Power key to turn on." before the screen blackens. This is consistent with the document saying that it will charge with a lower amp adapter but inconsistent with your XT2 saying that it isn't charging. FWIW, all of my test have been done using the approx 18" Garmin cable that came with the XT.
This is the exact behavior our units did before the update. Now, they MUST be either on a high power USB charger, or in the bike cradle. Unless of course, we should buy Garmins' chargers. What possible explanation could there be after months of charging this way other than corporate greed?
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

It is then a shame that Garmin support is sending links to a document that does not apply to the current update.
Josan
Spain

Post by Josan »

I had a complain about the pink line that dessapeared when recalculate.

Well, that happened in 4.3 and was solved in 4.5, but since I installed this latest 4.5 version I have noticed:

* Maps are charged very slow. Twice I have been navigating through the NOTHING
* When I reach a Waypoint and recalculate de route, the summary that appears at right margin keeps thinking and never ends

1.- Some experiencing the same with 4.5?
2.- Is there a new version and someone have tested it?

Thanks a lot