End of life, no more map updates for 660/665?

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: End of life, no more map updates for 660/665?

Post by sussamb »

@hammer

Very strange that others are getting map updates but not you. If Product Support won't help on the phone try their email.

Having just re-read your original post can you confirm if you've ever updated this device previously or is this a device you've recently purchased?
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

I am original owner of the device and have kept it updated. Wonder if somehow something got messed up and not being recognized that I have LM? When I bought it, LM did not come with it and I purchased LM separately many years ago.
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

I had a similar issue last year and gave up on my 660 and bought an XT. I did not get the same error message you did, but all attempts to update maps failed, using every trick I could find. It would only allow a subset of North America even though I had previously used the SD card several times to successfully overcome the "not enough room" warnings, but last year's update just refused to cooperate.

I fear this is of no help to you, but it does suggest there's something about the 660 that is unfriendly to recent updates. If you can find a good used XT (not the more problematic XT2), it is a worthwhile upgrade from a 660 and once you learn its quirks, plays much better with Basecamp than the 660.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

I have thought about upgrading. But what issues does X2 have. I have seen some day the mytread app is garbage. Typical Garmin using its customers as beta testers. I have also thought about a $150 android auto waterproof screen. For what I do google maps is fine, probably better than zumo.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

hammer wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:38 am I am original owner of the device and have kept it updated. Wonder if somehow something got messed up and not being recognized that I have LM? When I bought it, LM did not come with it and I purchased LM separately many years ago.
Only Garmin can resolve that if it's the issue. A quick email hopefully will resolve it.
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

Email already sent. Waiting to hear back. Hoping they don't see 665 and just say end of life. I Asked them to specifically check if LM on my account.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

hammer wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:08 pm For what I do google maps is fine, probably better than zumo.
I thought Google Maps was fine until I attempted to use it on a trip from North Carolina to Eureka Spring, Missouri, off-interstate. I was very surprised at the number of miles I rode where I did not have cell service. Also, I was always very concerned about my phone getting rained on. Downloading maps to my phone would have solved the first problem but I did not want to have to fuss with that. I then went on a group ride and tried to use a gpx viewer app to follow the shared route. I succeeded, but it was not easy. Those two experiences convinced me to purchase a satnav. I chose an XT.

Based on what I read on the XT2 forum, it's biggest problem is that is does not play well with BaseCamp. It's Tread app is not held in high regards but neither is the Explore app for the XT.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

Peobody wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:32 pm
hammer wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:08 pm For what I do google maps is fine, probably better than zumo.
I thought Google Maps was fine until I attempted to use it on a trip from North Carolina to Eureka Spring, Missouri, off-interstate. I was very surprised at the number of miles I rode where I did not have cell service. Also, I was always very concerned about my phone getting rained on. Downloading maps to my phone would have solved the first problem but I did not want to have to fuss with that. I then went on a group ride and tried to use a gpx viewer app to follow the shared route. I succeeded, but it was not easy. Those two experiences convinced me to purchase a satnav. I chose an XT.

Based on what I read on the XT2 forum, it's biggest problem is that is does not play well with BaseCamp. It's Tread app is not held in high regards but neither is the Explore app for the XT.
Thx for your input. I would have no problem with downloading maps on phone. I have done that before when I was going somewhere that I expected poor cell service. And my phone is waterproof so that isn't issue. But I do know phones can heat up and shut down in high temps. The android auto would be nice if functioned correctly. Helps that only need to connect phone to android auto then android auto to headset. On garmin, at least on 665, making a call is not easy if do this simple connection method. Never worked well for me. Much easier to have phone directly connected to headset, hit 1 button on headset and then use voice dialing. And with xt2, while you can listen to music from some apps, I think android auto would allow you to use many more. Wish i could play around with xt, xt2 and the AA setup for few days. Not sure if can post links but it is on amazon. Search waterproof android auto motorcycle.
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

Well just to update. Garmin never responded to my email. I was worried they see 665 and just don't respond?
carolinarider09
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

Ok.... it's hard to tell but I just updated my Zumo 660 with the newest maps, 2024.2. I used Garmin express to download the maps to my computer and the Mapinstall to upload the maps. But I cheat.

I use VMWare to run Windows 7 on my MacBook and iMac computers. I tired to use Garmin Mapinstall on the MacBook to install the maps and it did not want to start. Took the 660 to my iMac and started Windows 7, downloaded the maps, using Garmin Express and use Garmin Mapinstall to add the maps to my 660. Had to put them on the SD Card

My 665 has expanded main memory so, in a few days, after verifying the maps work, I will update the 665.