getting osm maps onto XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
paulo464
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

getting osm maps onto XT

Post by paulo464 »

Hi All, struggling with getting maps onto an SD card so the XT will recognise them. been surfing for hours with a successful conclusion.
I am using a MacBook, a kiwi bird card reader and Kingston 4gb SD card.
I have downloaded USA Pacific-osm-topo-v37 from gmaptool.eu.
I have unzipped it using the Mac utility, this gives me a folder with six files in it.
Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 13.47.48.png
Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 13.47.48.png (223.94 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
I have placed this folder in another folder called 'map' and copied onto the SD card.
When I place it in the XT it does not see the card or show the map.
Can anyone help please
Cheers
PC
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Re: getting osm maps onto XT

Post by lkraus »

The most common reason the XT does not recognize a SD card is the format. The XT can only use cards formatted with a FAT32 file system.

The file extension of .gmap is suitable for Basecamp, but the map on the XT should have an extension of .img. I don't use the Mac version of Basecamp, but the Install*.bat file should install the map for Basecamp and then Basecamp>Maps>Install Maps (or similar) should be able to transfer it to your card.
Great Britain

Post by paulo464 »

Thanks for the quick reply: SD card is formatted correctly.
The map has loaded simply onto basecamp with no trouble, but, there’s no way I can see to send the map to the XT, have tried map install, map manager to no avail. I suspect the download is only for computers as there does not appear to be a .img file in the folder. 🤷‍♂️
Bikeridr
Been liked: 2 times
Norway

Post by Bikeridr »

If you have it successfully installed in BC and can see it and "use" it BC, it is correctly installed on your computer. I don't own a mac, so I don't know the transfer protocols.

Though, if you successfully get to connect your XT and BC can see it, it should also be able to transfer the maps into your XT. In the dialog (at least on win), you may choose to install to internal memory or to sd card.
Bikeridr
'11 Yamaha FJR 1300A, '19 Kawasaki Versys-X 300, Garmin Zümo XT, ATGATT
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

There won't be a .img file in the folder, what you've posted is to install the map to your PC for BaseCamp to use. There are 2 options to get the map to your device.

First get the appropriate .img file from the map maker. Most provide .img files to allow this. That file must be placed in a Garmin folder on the sd card.

Second, right click on the card where it shows in the left hand pane in BaseCamp and select the option to Install maps. Follow the wizard. Those instructions are for Windows, a mac may be slightly different.
paulo464
Great Britain

Post by paulo464 »

Thanks a lot for everyone’s replies but seems you are all windows users. Seems the Mac is a bit different. I’m still soldiering on!! I found another download with a .img file for US west topo, I’ve downloaded this & put it on SD card I
N Map folder ( capital M is important it seems) XT has detected it and box is ticked in My maps. Thought I’d sorted it, but no detail will show under 120km zoom!!, even in Europe where I have full EU mapping loaded on the devise from the factory😡. Machine is also glacially slow now??
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Depending on transparency you may need to disable other maps so the OSM shows through. Note these issues are due to the map rather than a XT issue
raza
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Slovenia

Post by raza »

It works best and fastest for the device if only one set of maps is active. In case of using OSM maps, it is necessary to disable all other installed maps (remove the ticks in the set).