Hello from Argentina

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
Splinter
Has liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Hello from Argentina

Post by Splinter »

I'm a Brit living and riding in Buenos Aires and work for myself as a courier on my trusty Himalayan. I've been using Garmins for years - Nuvi 45, Nuvi 67 and now a new Zumo XT which a friend brought from the US - they are very expensive down here.
I changed up to an XT for connectivity, power/charge and numerous other reasons, not least because it's designed for bikes and the mounting is top notch.
For city courier work, it's indispensable and is much more responsive than the Nuvis ever were and I don't have those crazy 'incompatible cable' issue messages any more.
The screen is superb and I'm delighted with it. I'm still a bit nervous of it popping out of the mount, even though it always seems very secure once snapped in.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Hello from Argentina

Post by Peobody »

Welcome to the forum! I hope you will share your knowledge and experience with us.

I have heard that there are mounts where the XT actually "clicks" into place. Mine doesn't. It has been held securely for many thousands of miles but it lacks a reassuring audible or tactile "click" as it locks place.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
ZFtracker
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by ZFtracker »

Welcome, Splinter.
Zumo 590
Montana 610
Drive 60
inReach Mini
Splinter
Great Britain

Post by Splinter »

Peobody wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:30 pm Welcome to the forum! I hope you will share your knowledge and experience with us.

I have heard that there are mounts where the XT actually "clicks" into place. Mine doesn't. It has been held securely for many thousands of miles but it lacks a reassuring audible or tactile "click" as it locks place.
Thanks for the welcome!
Yes, it does click into place with a reassuring click, not that audible, but enough. I'm glad to hear yours has stayed in place, so perhaps I'm worrying about nothing.
:)
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Welcome! Worry not about the mounting. I use my XT on bouncy dirt roads and it holds on fine.

Take a look at this thread -> https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewto ... ump#p18178 about locking devices. I recently installed the Motopumps one and like it a lot. It's a pin that slides in behind the release tab so it can't be pushed. It kind of forces the latch tab to stay out like it should be.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Splinter
Great Britain

Post by Splinter »

rbentnail wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:23 pm Welcome! Worry not about the mounting. I use my XT on bouncy dirt roads and it holds on fine.

Take a look at this thread -> https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewto ... ump#p18178 about locking devices. I recently installed the Motopumps one and like it a lot. It's a pin that slides in behind the release tab so it can't be pushed. It kind of forces the latch tab to stay out like it should be.
I like it and thanks for the tip.
However, I may have to get someone locally to make something if I need to because getting stuff shipped here is out of the question.
Anyway, from what I've read here, most people seem very happy with the Garmin mount being secure.
Bu there's always that nag in the back of my mind...
Splinter
Great Britain

Post by Splinter »

Connected to the aux circuit, not direct to the battery and the unit does seem very secure.

Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Splinter wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:49 pm Connected to the aux circuit, not direct to the battery and the unit does seem very secure.
That is how mine is powered as well. I like that it turns off when the ignition is turned off.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.