How would you compare routes?

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

How would you compare routes?

Post by Peobody »

I am running into a problem where I duplicate an existing route into a different list, modify and rename it with a suffix, and then at some future point want to figure out what I changed. An example is modify a personal route for use as a group ride. One modification will always be the start point but sometimes a mod is needed so that the route passes through a convenient point for other riders join. I know that I can assign different colors but the fact that they are in different lists prevents displaying both on the map simultaneously. What would you do to compare routes in this case?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
ZFtracker
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Re: How would you compare routes?

Post by ZFtracker »

Could you not put both Routes (with different names) in the same List, which is what I do when planning a trip with possible alternate Routes. Or put both lists in the same Folder and highlight the Folder.
Zumo 590
Montana 610
Drive 60
inReach Mini
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I had thought of that but wondered if there were any other options. Although I occasionally edit dup, I have messed up some routes by not realizing I was playing with a copy so there is always trepidation around modifying a route without affecting the original. It's too bad BaseCamp doesn't allow us to select routes using Ctrl+Click for displaying on the map.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I Google "basecamp copy vs duplicate" just about every time I need to use one of those options. Doubts will arise if I need to make a copy (duplicate?) again after a day or so.

I keep a Temp folder containing only an empty Temp List, and use that as my workspace until the planning is complete.

To compare routes I'd make a duplicate (which is the "safer" choice) of both routes and put them both in the Temp list. Edit as needed, rename the results and place them in a permanent folder and list, delete any remaining data in the Temp list.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

lkraus wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:06 am I keep a Temp folder containing only an empty Temp List, and use that as my workspace until the planning is complete.
I do exactly the same thing.
lkraus wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:06 am To compare routes I'd make a duplicate (which is the "safer" choice) of both routes and put them both in the Temp list. Edit as needed, rename the results and place them in a permanent folder and list, delete any remaining data in the Temp list.
I have a feeling that is going to be the best way.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

So, I have duplicated some routes, placed them in a folder, and then assigned them different colors. Does anyone know if there is a way to easily see which route is which color other than opening the details of each route and then 'remembering' or making a note?

Edit: I just realized that when one route is displayed, there is an intrusive route name indicator but I don't see such an indicator when multiple routes are displayed. Seems like it should work just the opposite.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I don't think you need to Open the route. Simply clicking the one of the route names in the lower left window to highlight it makes that route on the map more bold with a thin black outline, shows arrows for the direction of travel, and displays the name balloon pointing to that route.

Using the Pan (hand) tool, you can also click and hold on a point in the map to see items that are referenced by it. Holding on a position along a route will pop-up the road name, the route name, and any other routes or tracks that also reference that point. Clicking a name in the popup will open the route, track, or point.

A color coded background in the route list would be nice, but that's not likely to happen.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks @lkraus. While playing with your suggestions I discovered that with the folder selected so that all routes are displayed on the map, hovering over a route line with the hand tool or the waypoint tool will produce a balloon showing its name, distance, arrival time to that point, and arrival time at the end point. No click required which is a good thing if the waypoint tool is active. :)
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Be careful copying data in Basecamp.

Sometime when you make a copy, it is not a clone - ie a second version of exactly the same thing.

Basecamp minimises the amount of data duplication, so in some cases when you copy (eg a route) to another folder, you have one route but it appears in two folders. If you make a change to one of those entries, the same change is made in the other location. That is because there is only one route - the 2/3/4 entries in the table are simply pointers to the same data.

This is why sometimes when you delete an item you are warned that it will delete every entry. It only has one item to delete, but it removes all of the pointers to it as well.

Likewise, if you use the same waypoint in a number of different lists/folders, and then change the name of one of them, or the location - every other route that uses the same point is also affected.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

We're on the same page John. Early in this discussion I expressed my reticence to use copies and dups for exactly the reasons you described.