For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Thomsus
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 2 times
Denmark

Join a route midways

Post by Thomsus »

I have discovered something new.
I was located somewhere in the middle of a route, I knew I had in the Zumo. I hadn't followed the route until that sudden moment while driving, when I decided to follow the remainder of the route.

I stopped driving for a moment, selected the route within the Zumo, and got prompted for which point to head for. Either the first or last point on the route. Since I wanted to follow the remainder of the route, I picked the end point.

Then the weird thing happened. The Zumo calculated a rather straight route to the end point, ignoring the details from the selected route. That wasn't what I wanted...

How do you guys solve this? Never drive anywhere without an active route? :lol:
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Join a route midways

Post by sussamb »

That's how Trip Planner works. If you want options to join a route somewhere along it then you need to add those points to the route.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

When you select an entry point the device calculates the best route to it. If the point is midway through the route then it will follow the route from that point. Obviously there is no route to follow when you select the end point as the entry point.

An option is to sprinkle via points along the route during route creation. Via points can be selected as entry points whereas shaping points can not. Naming them something meaningful location-wise can be helpful when looking at the list of available points on the device (eg: Hwy 12 near Some City or 123 First St in Some Town). This can help identify an entry point that is ahead of your location. Regardless, you can make a guess when selecting an entry point, let it load, and then look at the route on the map to determine whether you are entering the route appropriately. If not, you can stop the route and try again using a different entry point.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Having ONLY a start and an end doesn't give you much choice. You know what happens if you pick the end. If you pick the start then skip it you may have better luck but with no intermediate points I believe the zumo will do the exact same recalculation.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Thomsus
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 2 times
Denmark

Post by Thomsus »

Thanks guys, you're right, the route had no waypoints.

I have been avoiding via points, in order to avoid the annoying and stubborn 'make a uturn to return to that waypoint, stupid you have placed slightly next to the road you just passed' ;-)

As suggested, I will sprinkle a few via points along the route during route creation. And I will have to be a bit careful, zoom in on the map, in order to place them on the road.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thomsus wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:30 am As suggested, I will sprinkle a few via points along the route during route creation. And I will have to be a bit careful, zoom in on the map, in order to place them on the road.
The easiest way to do this is to create the waypoints as you create the route. Then, double-click on the route to open the route detail window. At the bottom of that window make sure that the "Center on map" option is ticked. Now click on each waypoint. It will be zoomed into on the map. Zoom in as close a possible and move the waypoint as needed to get it on the road, in the correct lane, or away from an intersection. This could be at the same time you are going through the route points list deciding which points to change to shaping points.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I'm not a fan of using via points (way points are converted to VIA points) but sometimes they are necessary, like in this case. I'll add a few more SHAPING points then convert every third or fourth to a via point just so I have a place to pick to start.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

rbentnail wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:46 pm Having ONLY a start and an end doesn't give you much choice. You know what happens if you pick the end. If you pick the start then skip it you may have better luck but with no intermediate points I believe the zumo will do the exact same recalculation.
In this circumstance, if you pick the start point, the Zumo will initially calculate a route to the start point. You can skip points, and the route will be recalculated with your shaping points, so it SHOULD maintain the planned route. I'm not sure how many times you'll have to select skip, but eventually it will let you join the route in progress. I'll give it a test next time I'm out.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

MSTOCK27370 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:59 pm In this circumstance, if you pick the start point, the Zumo will initially calculate a route to the start point. You can skip points, and the route will be recalculated with your shaping points, so it SHOULD maintain the planned route. I'm not sure how many times you'll have to select skip, but eventually it will let you join the route in progress. I'll give it a test next time I'm out.
In the OP's case, he only had a start and an end point. I believe @rbentnail is correct about selecting the start point as the entry point and then skipping it. The resulting recalculation will be what the Zumo determines is the best way to the end point.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

Peobody wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:18 pm
MSTOCK27370 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:59 pm In this circumstance, if you pick the start point, the Zumo will initially calculate a route to the start point. You can skip points, and the route will be recalculated with your shaping points, so it SHOULD maintain the planned route. I'm not sure how many times you'll have to select skip, but eventually it will let you join the route in progress. I'll give it a test next time I'm out.
In the OP's case, he only had a start and an end point. I believe @rbentnail is correct about selecting the start point as the entry point and then skipping it. The resulting recalculation will be what the Zumo determines is the best way to the end point.
NOPE! I tested this, this afternoon.
I rode about 15 miles from the beginning of a route. At this point I started the Trip Planner on my 590, and I selected the Start waypoint of the route.
As expected, the 590 calculated a beginning of the route to direct me to the Start waypoint. I made sure that I was on the planned route roadway, and I selected the Skip function. This caused a recalculation which still was directing me to the Start of the route. However once I passed that first redirection and made my first turn on the planned route, the directions and the arrival time all lined up for the planned route that I joined midstream.

I kept stopping the route and starting the process over again because there are variables that might cause different results. My 590 is set to prompt for a recalculation when I go off-route. Sometimes I selected yes, sometimes no. I kind of lost track of results, but each time it settled into the planned route. It never calculated a route directly to the End waypoint, because I never selected the End waypoint.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6