XT2 in rain - nightmare!

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
jures
Been liked: 1 time
Slovenia

XT2 in rain - nightmare!

Post by jures »

When raining, even slightly, screen gets ‘touched’ by drops and its like randomly pressing parts of screen…

There is no option to set up screen sensitivity so riding in rain is a disco show….i have a foil over screen but this should not be a problem, its sensitivity to drops…..

Anyone else experienced it?
sloppysmusic
Great Britain

Re: XT2 in rain - nightmare!

Post by sloppysmusic »

Yes i had same problem. I did not want to mount in bars as distraction so mounted flat on tank with industrial Velcro. Perfect.
Except..first time in heavy rain on motorway unit went haywire, couldn't keep screen on display more than few seconds. Eventually ignored it and found my way home by luck as was very dangerous. It even factory reset all my options and used BW screen eventually.
Was disgusted but paid so much i mounted it vertical on left bar. I have a full screen hoping this will help.
Today in light drizzle had no problems but no longer trust it in any kind of rainstorm.
Absolutely NEEDS screen lock option so will STAY on map UNTIL you press on /off button for example.
Imagine how angry i was pressing buttons behind trucks doing 70 heavy traffic 5 meters visibility on M20 in Kent trying to get to a strange place?
Went home instead.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I went thru the same thing with the XT last Sunday. I have a glare reducing film on the screen and still it changed screens randomly. Very annoying.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jures
Slovenia

Post by jures »

I wrote to support, the more we do then they could consider something
jures
Slovenia

Post by jures »

apperently there is lock screen option garmin says - hold power button until being asked for lock screen
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 287 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Their solution is to disable touch functions when riding in the rain? Seriously? I'll bet there is nowhere in their marketing where it says anything like "IPX7 water-resistance rating with limited functionality in the rain".

That said, although I have not experienced any issues with my XT in the rain, I doubt I have ever attempted any touch functions when riding in the rain.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jures
Slovenia

Post by jures »

you dont need to touch....rain does this for you. And I agree this is not answer to be a solution
Thrasherg
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

Both my wife and I had this exact same issue on our first outing with our original XT's, I asked Garmin if they would add a feature to disable the touch screen, so I could select that mode when it rained, they said they had no plans to offer it at the time (that was 3 years ago) so I am surprised to see someone mention that it is now an option!! In the end I purchased some clear perspex plastic from home depot and made a little slide over cover that we can slide onto each GPS when it rains to prevent the rain drops from landing on the screen, its a little bit inconvenient to carry the covers, but the units work so well otherwise, that we just live with it, I also mounted my GPS closer to my windscreen on my motorcycle and that helps reduce the amount of rain that gets on to the screen!!
I tried holding the power button in for several seconds as suggested above to lock the screen, but my XT unit just asks if I want to power off, no option to lock the screen so either that's a new feature on the XT2 or its an error by whoever posted the suggestion.

Gary
jures
Slovenia

Post by jures »

Works on XT2 I tried
Francis
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
Czech Republic

Post by Francis »

Thrasherg wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:48 pm ... I tried holding the power button in for several seconds as suggested above to lock the screen, but my XT unit just asks if I want to power off, no option to lock the screen so either that's a new feature on the XT2 or its an error by whoever posted the suggestion...
I confirm, this function is on XT2 and is working.
Too bad it's not on XT from the start :-(