GPS Tracker (so the missus knows where I am)

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Capt Sisko
Great Britain

GPS Tracker (so the missus knows where I am)

Post by Capt Sisko »

I'm planning an Autumn SS1000 (1,000 mile in under 24hrs). It's not the first time I've done this and not unreasonably my better half likes to keep an eye on my progress. In the past I've just sent her a text whenever I've stopped for fuel or a break. It works, but I was wondering if there is a better technology based way of doing it? Can the XT do this?

I'll of course have my iPhone (XR) with me and a means of charging it so an extra power drain isn't an issue. I'll be using my XT for navigation (which is also hard wired in) and I also have Garmin Edge 830 off my push bike that I could use (run off a battery pack so it'll do 24hrs). Lastly I've also got a Garmin Forerunner 945 watch. Failing all thing Garmin, I don't mind buying a bit of dedicate kit (as long as it's not too much money).

Any ideas or suggestions?
Last edited by Capt Sisko on Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallguy67
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Re: GPS Tracker (so the missus knows where I am)

Post by Fallguy67 »

If you have Google Maps app, couldn’t you just share your location with her? You can set it to share for specific lengths of time or till you tell it to stop.
tombarrington
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

Could also use Garmin Connect with your watch as an alternative to just sharing your location via the phone. It will show a track of your last few miles and give speed data. Both will work as long as you have a cell signal. There are a number of satellite messenger devices available but you'd be in for a few hundred dollars plus a subscription. These will give you added security in the event of a problem outside of cell phone range.
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
Zumek
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
Poland

Post by Zumek »

I’m not sure if it still works-I was checking it year or more ago: create account or login to https://explore.garmin.com/. You can/could create public map with chosen content from your Garmin Explore library (it’s synced every time your XT connects with WiFi/iPhone). This way you can record parts of your trip, from one stop to another or add points of your location from time to time and sync that info with Garmin Explore server. Remember to add this data on Zumo XT to a place which is set as shared on map online.

I don’t know if there is any other way to show current location live in this service. There is Garmin InReach but their prices are… not for my wallet.

What about Apple and their Find My? You can share current location with family members.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

The 396 has a LiveTrack but on a more expensive nav they decided to drop it. Makes a lot of sense. Well it's Garmin.
With an inReach paired to XT the sharing is done more like LiveTrack but much more expensive and more stuff to bring along.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Fxwheels wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:49 am The 396 has a LiveTrack but on a more expensive nav they decided to drop it. Makes a lot of sense. Well it's Garmin.
With an inReach paired to XT the sharing is done more like LiveTrack but much more expensive and more stuff to bring along.
LiveTrack was very unreliable, working maybe once out of the ten or twelve times I tried to use it. Sometimes the necessary link was never sent, but more often the link would report that there were server problems.

See if simply letting your phone location be tracked will meet your needs: https://www.businessinsider.com/guides/ ... e-location
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times
Great Britain

Post by Scarecrow »

There's apps available for your phone
Play store and the apple alternative
basic ones are free and you pay for the premium version
I have Life 360 on the wife's and my own phone
mainly so I can track her when she's out running
but she can also check my location if necessary :o
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious, but why not use the Find My app that comes on every iPhone? My riding buddies and I use this constantly as does my wife for the same reasons as the OP. As long as you have cell signal it shows your location accurately in real time.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

And there's a similar app for Android phones

Find my device
Capt Sisko
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

danham wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:55 pm Apologies if I'm missing something obvious, but why not use the Find My app that comes on every iPhone?
sussamb wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:46 pm And there's a similar app for Android phones Find my device
But do the two talk to each other? I've got an iPhone, my better half an Android?
If the answer is yes it seems like we've already got all we need. Guess the only way is to try it.