Speed limit not displayed - SOLVED

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Oliwally
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
Australia

Speed limit not displayed - SOLVED

Post by Oliwally »

One of the best thing about my Zumo 396 was that it displayed the speed limit of whatever road I am riding on. But after a recent update (CN AUS & NZ NT 2024.20-Here All) this feature has disappeared. What's going on?

I've searched through the menus to see if the is an option to turn it on, but I cannot find one.

I would love some help with this please.

Thanks a lot 👍
Last edited by Oliwally on Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Speed limit not displayed

Post by jfheath »

The only time that I have seen issues like this is if I have additional maps loaded onto the Zumo - eg OSM maps. They can be loaded if you have them, but they miust not be ticked at the same time as Garmin's maps. Check Settings, Map and Vehicle, MyMaps or whatever sounds similar in your Zumo model.

TopoActive, DEM and NTU maps are all OK to be ticked.

Or maybe the maps did not install correctly ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

IIRC there was a similar post on the Garmin forums, apparently a map issue with that particular map. Should be fixed on the next update.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Some strange changes happened on the latest CN EU mapping as well, some limits disappearing and some which were incorrect.
Oliwally
Australia

Post by Oliwally »

Thanks for your help everyone!

Yes, I did play around with some other maps (OSM) but I have now uninstalled them, emptied the SD card and given my 396 a full 'Restore' via the internal menu . I also reinstalled the maps via Garmin Express and updated all software as prompted. And still, I am not getting the speed limit displayed for the road that I'm currently on. Quite frustrating....
Oliwally
Australia

Post by Oliwally »

Righto, solved it!

There were still a couple of files left on the SD card from when I was playing around with another map. Some database file, I believe. I deleted all of the contents from the SD card, and then the speed limits started to come back.

I also contacted Garmin who gave me the following advice:
Backup saved addresses/routes with Garmin Express, complete a master reset, let unit acquire satellites then reinstall the map.

Backing up, Restoring, or Transferring Saved Data on Garmin Automotive Devices: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=G ... ery=backup

Touch View Map
Touch the Speed icon
Touch and hold the speedometer for approximately 5 seconds
Release your touch when the Diagnostics Page displays
Touch Clear all user data
Touch Yes when prompted to "Erase all user data?"

The device will now be reset. Follow the on-screen prompts, then place the device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites outside up to 5 minutes.
Reinstall or Change Map on an Automotive Device: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=d ... install%20
All sorted, things are back to normal as they should be. Thanks for your help everyone.