ZUMO XT2 CONCLUSIONS

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
technoguppy
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 25 times
Canada

ZUMO XT2 CONCLUSIONS

Post by technoguppy »

Simply put, and these are my experiences, yours may be different, the ZUMO XT2 is a fine unit. I thoroughly believe the issue is the Tread App.

When I use BaseCamp and import to my XT2 via USB, load the maps, and go, all seems to work. Shaping points are shaping points, waypoints are waypoints, no muss, no fuss.

However, when I import the .GPX created (and exported by) BaseCamp to the Tread App, it does some wonky stuff. This occurs when I "calculate" the route in Tread, or "edit" (the little box with the pencil in it) that opens the route, it then spins a little, does its calculations, then ask "do you want to save". Know this, Tread will or may do the following to your route.
1. It changes each and every shaping point to a waypoint!
2. It modifies the route based on its logic
3. It then sends the "updated" route to the unit when it syncs.

I do intend to use the Tread App for the other features... Weather, Traffic, Smart Notifications, but I will never "open" or "calculate" a map inside the app as it is just too unpredictable and creates too many headaches.

For those of you considering the ZUMO XT2 as a new device, it is decent performs well but has its issues. If you already have a ZUMO XT, a ZUMO 595, keep it until it falls apart. There is no need (based on my experience) to upgrade. The XT2 is faster and brighter but these enhancements fade very quickly with all the other issues that I didn't experience while using my ZUMO 595.

UPDATED: I've since removed the Tread App completely, I don't need notifications that badly AND whether you import the files into the app yourself, it will eventually grab the route, do it's thing, completely muck with your route (without telling you), and then you're out of luck.

Happy to help with questions or queries.

Good luck and safe travels.
Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
fredaroony
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
Australia

Re: ZUMO XT2 CONCLUSIONS

Post by fredaroony »

I sold my XT to buy an XT2 because of the ‘easy’ route planning with the Tread app. Only tried it a couple times but it’s terrible from what I have seen so far. Why is it so hard to Garmin to make routing software that works and easy to use
technoguppy
Canada

Post by technoguppy »

IMDO Their team is focused on "wearables" or other priority products. It's the best explanation I can think of.
Last edited by technoguppy on Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

fredaroony wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:37 pm I sold my XT to buy an XT2 because of the ‘easy’ route planning with the Tread app. Only tried it a couple times but it’s terrible from what I have seen so far. Why is it so hard to Garmin to make routing software that works and easy to use?
IMHO it's b/c so many people want so many different features to do so many different things. All you have to do is read all the threads here and see that people nit pick every little thing b/c it's NOT what they want, the way they want it. If you want simpler, go back to a 590 or 595 and forget about the app B.S. Me? I'd like the option from Garmin to delete all the bloat from the XT. I want routing. That's it. No topo, no Bird'sEye, no parks app, none of it. And make "Faster" be faster TIME, not faster ROADS- you know, just like it used to be on the 595.

Being all things to all people makes things less and less capable of doing any one thing really well.

Also MHO but Garmin DOES "make routing software that works and easy to use". It's called Base Camp. Simpler than anything else, and easiest to use to transfer routes and tracks without app interference and extra steps required by other routing software. Another option is to use the device itself to make a route. I do this all the time. Took a little practice but I'm pretty good at it.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Malarkey
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Malarkey »

Hi technoguppy - just wanted to ask if deleting the tread app has solved the problem and allowed your XT2 to follow the route you imported?

Also how are you importing - are you transferring gpx files from Basecamp directly to your SD card in the XT or directly to the XT?

We have a 2500+ mile trip planned in three weeks so I'm keen to make sure it keeps to what I've planned.

Thanks
Mountain Seeker
Triumph Tiger Rally Explorer
Garmin XT2
technoguppy
Canada

Post by technoguppy »

Malarkey wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:54 pm Hi technoguppy - just wanted to ask if deleting the tread app has solved the problem and allowed your XT2 to follow the route you imported?

Also how are you importing - are you transferring gpx files from Basecamp directly to your SD card in the XT or directly to the XT?

We have a 2500+ mile trip planned in three weeks so I'm keen to make sure it keeps to what I've planned.

Thanks
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

I had a nice day on the bike yesterday, 180km of PLANNED trip.

With the Tread App removed, working solely from BaseCamp and porting the routes to the unit via USB, all worked great.

Shaping points were shaping points.
Waypoints were waypoints.
All was right in the cosmos.

IMDO ditch the Tread App from your phone. If it connects to your device in any way, IT WILL MESS UP YOUR ROUTES (and not tell you that it did).

Safe travels!
Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
Malarkey
Great Britain

Post by Malarkey »

Many thanks,

that's it then, Tread is deleted - routes will be uploaded directly from BC - I'll let you all know in a few weeks how the trip went.

This will be interesting because I'm using an XT2 and my buddy still has the 595 - be good to see what it does between the two of them!

:D
Mountain Seeker
Garmin XT2
technoguppy
Canada

Post by technoguppy »

My next trip (which starts Friday) is roughly 2700km.

Like @Malarkey I'm going to just use BaseCamp and import to the unit via USB.

I'll share what I learn when I get back!
Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
technoguppy
Canada

Post by technoguppy »

TRIP SUMMARY WITHOUT USING TREAD APP (i.e. removed completely from phone)

When working with imported files from BaseCamp directly to unit, the ZUMO XT2 performed as expected WITHOUT ANY ISSUES. It aligned to my wife's unit which was prepared with the same BaseCamp maps using the same method.

I highly recommend ditching the Tread App until further notice.
Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
Malarkey
Great Britain

Post by Malarkey »

That's great news and thanks for sharing the update, I'll let you know how we get on in the Alps in a couple of weeks too.

Tread app completely removed from my phone too and I reloaded the maps from Basecamp directly to the SD card in the unit, looked like it imported OK so we'll see 🤞🏻😁
Mountain Seeker
Garmin XT2