Insufficient power

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
garmerlend
Norway

Insufficient power

Post by garmerlend »

I have a usb outlet on my bike, and i tried to use this outlet as a power source to my zumo xt, using the mini-usb cord(mini-usb to normal usb(usb-a) cord).

The battery on the zumo was fully charged when my trip started. After 3 hours the zumo had low battery. It seems the mini-usb cord isn't powerful enough to keep the xt charged. Is this normal?

Can i get another mini-usb to usb-a that gives mor power(amps)?

I'm a neewbie when it comes to power and amps etc...🙂
Last edited by garmerlend on Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Insufficient power

Post by Peobody »

You need a 2 amp power which the usb port on your bike likely doesn't provide. If it does then a power-only cable could be a solution. The cable provided by Garmin, and generic replicas, provide both power and data. Even though there is no data, the cable tricks the XT into thinking that there is which throttles charging. I think you will find that wiring directly to the battery or an alternate power source on the bike is the way to go. The XT will draw power when connected so a switched power source will eliminate battery draw when the bike is parked. Otherwise you will need to be conscious of disconnecting the XT when you park the bike.

This cable works for me in my car which has a 2 amp usb. My bike does not so my XT is wired to an auxiliary power source.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096ZC2VFH
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

It's not a good idea to provide power like this as the vibrations can destroy the usb port on the XT
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Stu wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:37 pm It's not a good idea to provide power like this as the vibrations can destroy the usb port on the XT
I thought the same thing.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
BashStreetKid
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by BashStreetKid »

garmerlend wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:00 pm I have a usb outlet on my bike, and i tried to use this outlet as a power source to my zumo xt, using the mini-usb cord(mini-usb to normal usb(usb-a) cord).

The battery on the zumo was fully charged when my trip started. After 3 hours the zumo had low battery. It seems the mini-usb cord isn't powerful enough to keep the xt charged. Is this normal?

Can i get another mini-usb to usb-a that gives mor power(amps)?

I'm a neewbie when it comes to power and amps etc...🙂
I'm curious why you simply don't use the cradle which the device came with?