Garmin Drive to Garmin XT issues

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Highwaystar
Has liked: 1 time
Canada

Garmin Drive to Garmin XT issues

Post by Highwaystar »

I use an online app called MyRouteapp to create my GPX files. I also it on my phone. Whatever GPX routes I create on my PC it appears on phone app.
I open the route and send it to GARMIN DRIVE which it turn sends it my GARMIN XT. A window opens on my XT calculating the route starting at 0% and obviously finishing at 100% and the window closes.....and voila the route(s) are in my XT.
I created 12 GPX routes this way about a month ago and sent them all to my GARMIN XT with no issues what so ever.
Recently (about a week now) I created a new day trip and when I send it to my GARMIN XT and the window pops up and begins to calculate route. The problem now is that will get stuck anywhere from 0% to 100% and the route is never transferred over.
I am pretty sure the problem is with the GARMIN DRIVE app and I will tell you why.
If I hard wire the GARMIN XT to my PC and transfer the file that way using the online version of MyRoute and the file is transferred with no issue.
My Garmin XT is up to daye software and map wise
Garmin Drive is also up to date as of July 23, 2023

I called GARMIN directly and they could not solve the issue but created a "ticket" and are looking into it.

Has anyone had else this issue?
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Re: Garmin Drive to Garmin XT issues

Post by colirv »

I too was having trouble last week using the MRA - Drive - XT transfer, but in my case Garmin Drive just wasn't showing any files ready to transfer, whatever I tried. However, the Drive app was updated 3 days ago, and on trying again it's now working perfectly. Which is very frustrating, given I've just spent a fortnight in Austria and Germany unable to use the functionality for which I purchased MRA. Thanks Garmin!
Colin
BMW R1250RS
Highwaystar
Canada

Post by Highwaystar »

Interesting. I also did the update for Garmin Drive on my iPhone. I tried doing one transfer and it went smoothly.
The second one did not....had the same issues as before.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I came across this - or a similar -issue a good while back with MyRouteApp.

I don't use the App on a phone or iPad - I use the website for MRA. I find that planning routes with small screens, big fingers and misted glasses a recipe for disaster. That's not to say I cannot do it. I always try things before deciding that they are not for me !

Whatever - from the website, there are a few ways of getting routes to the XT.

One is via the Connect App - which basically means providing MRA with an open link to my PC. No thanks.
Another is using Share - but you have to make the route public first, which I don't want to do.
The other two that I have tried are by sending an email. Send it to an email address that my phone picks up, and the idea is that when you open the attached gpx file, Drive is one of the apps that can process it.

Both of these options are in the 'Save As' button.

One is at the bottom the list - Email Route - which does exactly what it says. But according to my tests, only once. Sending another route semes to behave the same, but the email never arrives. Then I go away and have a cup of coffee, I may turn the computer off, I may not return to MRA for a week. Then when I try again, it works again for transferring just one file, then fails again. Its possible that there is a time limit to prevent big jobs from overloading the mail server. Whatever - that is another way that for me, does not work.

What does work is to create a GPX file, or a few of them. Then attach these to a normal email, send them to the phone, open the attachment, Drive is an option for processing it and it sends it to the XT. And that works every time. It puts them in internal storage as a separate gpx file. The XT cannot overwrite these, so when out and about, you can delete all routes that you have on the XT and then import the one(s) that you want.

However - these are still imported - so prone to the RUT behaviour if the route is recalculated and you then have to deviate from the route.

I don't know if you are working on a tablet or phone app, or on a computer. But this information may still be relevant.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Highwaystar
Canada

Post by Highwaystar »

I agree with you that working on a smart phone or tablet is not my preferred method. I always create my routes online and by online I mean on my computer. However I do have the MRA on my iPhone (logged in as me) and whatever routes I create on my computer are automatically available on my iPhone via the MRA app.
1) I open the MRA app on my phone
2) I chose the desired route
3 I choose the download icon
4) Select the type of GPX format I want (in my case I chose gpx 1.2)
5) select download
6) Export
7) Garmin Drive app opens up
8) my Garmin XT receives the gpx file and begins calculating 0% to 100%
9) The Garmin Xt then tells me new tracks were added and I click through the windows
10) On my Garming XT I go "apps" then "trip Planner" and find my recently added route.
My current problem is at number 8. The transfer gets stuck at either 0%, 100% or somewhere in between.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Highwaystar wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:26 pm My current problem is at number 8. The transfer gets stuck at either 0%, 100% or somewhere in between.
As an outsider looking in (I don't use MRA), a hang during the import of a route transferred from BaseCamp is an indication of a problem with that file. It would be interesting to email one of the problem routes, open the email with your phone, transfer the attached .gpx to the XT, and see how that import goes.

FWIW, I have an iPhone SE. In order to transfer an email attached .gpx file to my XT I must select the attachment, tap the share button, then select Garmin Drive.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Highwaystar
Canada

Post by Highwaystar »

The funny thing is that files that worked before are not working now. But I will try the e-mail method.
Wish me luck
BMurray99
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by BMurray99 »

Normally I do my planning in Basecamp. I save (export) my trip data to a GPX file, after which I manually copy the GPX file to the micro-SD card in my Zumo XT.

Here is a technique I have recently been experimenting with for transferring routes and tracks to my Zumo XT.

First, I plan my trip in Basecamp. (The technique I am about to describe would work with any planning software that provides you the means to export the route and/or track data to a GPX file.) Once the trip (routes and tracks) is planned, I export the information to a GPX. I prefer to export the routes to one GPX file and the tracks to a separate GPX file. However, this is not a requirement for the technique I am describing.

Next, I load the GPX files to the cloud, using either Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive. You can organize your data in folders, if needed. As mentioned above, I load my routes and tracks to separate GPX files and I load the track GPX files to one folder and the route GPX files to another folder. I save my collection of waypoints to a third GPX file and save that to a third folder.

From my phone (Android OS), I open the cloud app where the files are stored (Google Drive or OneDrive) and navigate to the applicable folder. When I attempt to open the track/route file, it loads the Garmin Drive app and sends the file to my Zumo XT.

Similar functionality is available when storing my routes and tracks files locally on my smartphone.

So far, the cloud storage and transfer technique is working smoothly for me.
2021 BMW R1250GSA
Zumo XT and BMW Nav6 linked to Sena 50S and Samsung Ultra 22
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

There is possibly a difference in the maps, or you have reached a limit for route points.

I was going to offer to take a look at your route, but I don't have Garmin maps for Canada.
But if you posted the gpx I could look at the structure of it for obvious issues.

Try this.

Save your gpx file and import it into Basecamp.
Select the route and recalculate it.
Show the route properties table - normally double click the route to open that window.
Click the 'centre map' check box at the bottom and the click on each route point in the properties table in turn
The map will zoom in to show the selected point. You may need to position your windows so that you can see the map and table at the same time.
My guess is that quite a few of these will be inaccurately placed.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Highwaystar
Canada

Post by Highwaystar »

First off thanks for your advice - I will try and/or take a look.

You mentioned reaching a limit for route points. Do you mean in the My Route App or on my Garmin XT?

I have attached one of the files that does not seem to transfer over using Garmin Drive
Attachments
Crows Foot Restaurant.gpx
(36.31 KiB) Downloaded 82 times