zumo 396 issue

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
irideforlife
Great Britain

zumo 396 issue

Post by irideforlife »

Plugged my zumo 396 in for update. during update garmin express said update failed. Tried restarting the garmin and it only cycles from feint garmin logo to bright logo and then stops. Garmin express cant find it. This is a hardly used unit and i need it next week for a holiday. Can anyone help please
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: zumo 396 issue

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your problems.

While we are waiting for someone more familiar with the 396, can I suggest some basic stuff which you would have to do anyway.

1. If the battery is removable, then remove it and leave it out for a short while. Then reinsert it. Don't turn the 396 on.
2. Find a charger that delivers 2A or more and plug it in to charge and leave it charging for 24 hours. Then disconnect it and try to turn it on.

It sounds like a system fault at start-up - but normally startup requires a full battery. So this is something that you would have to eliminate before you call Garmin Support.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

The 396 battery isn't easily removable, so I'd agree with the 2 amps charger for at least overnight.
irideforlife
Great Britain

Post by irideforlife »

Think it doesnt have any software to load as it was corrupt.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Valuable lesson learned- never update within 2-3 weeks of vacation/holiday. I apply the same rule to vehicle maintenance, get it done way in advance.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

irideforlife wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:03 pm Think it doesnt have any software to load as it was corrupt.
I'd guess that it was a Cyclops = "safety" camera update. I've got one waiting for my 396 which Garmin Express guesses will take a minute to install. These do come out fairly often and I think are French and Swiss legislation compliant. Hopefully on the compliant bit!
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

irideforlife wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:21 pm Plugged my zumo 396 in for update. during update garmin express said update failed. Tried restarting the garmin and it only cycles from feint garmin logo to bright logo and then stops. Garmin express cant find it. This is a hardly used unit and i need it next week for a holiday. Can anyone help please
Try to hold the power button for 10 seconds. It may restart.
Why did you use garmin express to update? I just go to settings/updates and it shows if updates needed and if I want to update. Just plug the 396 to a power source for not losing battery power while at it.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

irideforlife wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:03 pm Think it doesnt have any software to load as it was corrupt.
Ok - if you have proved that it cannot be a battery issue, then get on the phone to Tech support. Tell them that a recent update has rendered the device useless. Don't let them fob you off with trying to do things to see if it works. You have already done everything that you can. You need to speak to someone with the technical know how to identify the issue and help put it right. It was working perfectly before .......

I believe that they have a way of seeing your Zumo when it is plugged into USB and connected to Express. So they may be able to look at the system files to see what is not installed correctly and instruct you on what to do.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.