Dusted off the 660.

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
ScramblerChris
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Dusted off the 660.

Post by ScramblerChris »

Admin: This thread relates to a 660, not a 550 - so at Chris's request, I have relocated it - John

Hi all.

Haven't used my bikes much over the last few years (Covid and other reasons) and certainly haven't done any trips or tours worthy of needing a sat nav

I bought my 550 many years ago (well it would be wouldn't It! :D ) for use on my Triumph Tiger 1050. I only used the Powerlet connector and the others for Audio Out, Mic In and an unknown one were taped together and the cables looped together and taped to shorten the overall length. This was Ok on the Tiger as there was a decent run between the sat nav and the power outlet and the bulky cable sat in the part fairing.

I've swopped the Tiger for a Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE and fitted the power outlet and mounted the sat nav and it works fine. The cable is far too long though and I want to lose all the connectors that I'm not using. I assume I can cut those off adjacent to the block? There is a thicker cable going into the block which I'm assuming contains all the cables bundled together? Ideally I'd like to do away with that block and reduce the cable length. Anyone know what the cable with the unknown termination is?

I had Basecamp on a previous Windows 10 PC but have recently replaced it with a new one running Windows 11. From what I've read BC can still be downloaded but is no longer supported by Garmin - is this correct? I've never updated the maps (and only need UK for now) and I'm on CN Europe NT 2012.10 Do I need to update to work with a newer download of BC and am I able to do so now?

Thanks, Chris
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Dusted off the 550.

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forums.

I can't remember the wiring arrangements for the 550. I'll see if I can find out.

Regarding maps - it is better to have the newer ones, but it is probably mor important to have the map on the computer being the same as the one on the Zumo 550.

It doesn't matter that BC is no longer supported. It does the same good job that it always did - but it has facilities that don't exist on the 550. Mapsource would probably be better - that was the software that was available when the 550 was the Zumo of choice.

Come to think of it - the later maps will probably have more detail than the 550 can cope with.

Edit. Im not sure which block you are talking about. The 550 only had a power lead +ve and -ve from my early manuals ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

Also note that with the newer maps, the street labeling changes, they aren't showing the entire street name anymore on the map. It will appear on the top ID bar, just not on the map.
If you haven't already been a 'lifetime map' subscriber, can you even sign up now for new maps from Garmin? If Garmin is trying to phase out the old stuff, they may not allow new map subscriptions for the older units they have deemed obsolete. Not saying that is the case, just don't be disappointed if Garmin won't allow you to sign up for new maps.
If you can get new maps, you will need an MicroSD(with adapter) card for the maps for sure as they will not fit on the internal memory. I have, and currently use a 32Gb card with no issues.
I have not tried using the most recent maps with Mapsource.
ScramblerChris
Great Britain

Post by ScramblerChris »

Thanks for the replies. I did attach a couple of photos but for some reason they aren't showing, I'll have another go.

I'm not bothered about having a newer map, but just had it in the back of my head that you had to have the same version of Basecamp to match that of the map used by the 550? Thinking about it that would make sense if transferring a route.

Also I think I started off with Mapsource and then changed to Basecamp as it was deemed to be the thing to do at the time. Thought that BC had superseded Mapsource but obviously that isn't the case.
Sounds as though Mapsource is the better option for me and if I can install a version that works with my map that would be great.
ScramblerChris
Great Britain

Post by ScramblerChris »

Sorry chaps but I feel a right plonker! :(

I could have sworn mine was a 550, being a model up from the 450, but having managed the find the box and documentation I found out it was a 660! I know it's been a long time since I last used it but really! :roll:

The question about the cables still remains though and I guess now that sticking with Basecamp is the best option?

Admin., can you please move to the 660 part of the forum. Thank you.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Dusted off the 660.

Post by jfheath »

Ok - Chris - relocated as requested. Thanks for the info.

The 660 cable looks like this

Zumo660 Wiring.jpg
Zumo660 Wiring.jpg (84.84 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
I wouldn't go trying to separate any of that little lot. You will regret it.

Regarding Basecamp / Mapsource. Mapsource is still the tool to use for the 660. The main issue is that Basecamp creates routes with Via and Shaping points. The 660 doesn't know the distinction and may have some issues. Someone with a 660 may be able to advise about using Basecamp. I believe that it is possible, but I guess that you would need to know which features not to use.

I'll mention @danham and @carolinarider09 - I believe that they have 660s and may be able to help. The mention will alert them.

Incidentally. If there is ever a Zumo that I wish I hadn't parted with, it is the 660. It is a cracking bit of kit. They seem to get almost everything right. After that they started to try to improve on it and for me, it created many more problems than it solved.

One such issue was to do with the numpties - I understand that is the correct technical term for people who take the wrong turning when crossing over the intersection of a figure of eight circuit - who complained about it leading them up the wrong route.

The point is that on the 660 you can join the route anywhere and if you head in the right direction it will navigate you from where you are.

Of course, it did mean that if you put your end point at home, it would tell you that you had finished the route as soon as you started moving ! But you learn that lesson very quickly. As Jesse Stone frequently said - "There is no education in the second kick of a mule"

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Bear
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by Bear »

This article https://motorcycleinfo.co.uk/garmin-zum ... index2d35/ describes taking a pair of cutters to the cabe and shortening it. Assuming the 660 cradle is similar to the 590/595 there is a better way if you're comfortable with very fiddly wiring. It's described here:- https://jahonen.kapsi.fi/Electronics/Ga ... le_cradle/
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Post by Les »

ScramblerChris wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:38 pm sticking with Basecamp is the best option?
As already stated BaseCamp doesn't really like our 660s, whilst you may get by, it might throw up some weird routing...well it did with mine.

I use Mapsource exclusively with my 'Solid as a Rock' 660.
ScramblerChris
Great Britain

Post by ScramblerChris »

Thanks for moving John. But a deserved :oops: for me! It is good news that it's a 660 though. :D
And thanks for the cable etc. info.

Made progress in that I've downloaded Basecamp and deleted old routes and Favourites from the 660 to free up some space. I do remember some weird things happening when planning like convulated routes around traffic islands and long U-turns etc. but did manage to plan and navigate a route to Austria and back without too many problems.

But it sounds as though Mapsource (thanks Les) is favourite though? Need to find a safe source to download it from and may have a problem as I don't have an existing copy. I do have the original Garmin City Navigator Europe NT disk which may have Mapsource on it but may have a problem with the unlock code which was probably emailed to me from Garmin? I see there are workarounds though.

It was good to find the original box with the stuff including the invoice. Motorcycle sat navs are always more expensive and the 660 certainly was as it cost me £435.71 from Halfords in July 2011. Having said that though you got the 660, the mount and RAM accessories to attach to the handlebars, cover, USB cable, charger and the mount for car use so it wasn't too bad.

I did use the 660 in a couple of cars but didn't want to use the supplied suction mount so bought the bean bag type mount which sat on the dashboard and worked well.

As said the 660 is a nice and well built unit and I look forward to using it again. Some say that TomToms are better and newer units may have improved features but the 660 does what I want and I like it.

Bear - thanks for the links to the cable modifications, just what I was looking for. I have heat shrink etc. and it wouldn't be a problem for me but still hesitant about attacking a perfect cable! Had a look on EBay for another cable and the prices are wow for what is now an old device!

The cable from the car mount would be ideal as it only carries power!
Attachments
20230628_205753.jpg
20230628_205753.jpg (332.35 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
20230628_210105.jpg
20230628_210105.jpg (400.06 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
Last edited by ScramblerChris on Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ScramblerChris
Great Britain

Post by ScramblerChris »

Here is my cable with the Powerlet fitted. Way too much cable and bulk for my naked bike! You should just be able to see the tape which marks all I need now!
Attachments
20230627_215859.jpg
20230627_215859.jpg (296.36 KiB) Viewed 1299 times