Dusted off the 660.

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
ScramblerChris
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Dusted off the 660.

Post by ScramblerChris »

I have Europe on the 660 but that is a 2012 map! Sounds as though the newer updates have grown in size considerably?

No immediate plans for riding outside the UK anymore which was one of the reasons for selling the Tiger 1050 with its full luggage. Used to do a fair amount of European trips.

Not fussed about updating the map for UK use but I've probably missed the boat anyway as I didn't take out lifetime maps and can't see any way of doing one-off updates anymore.

No problem with the car as it has a built in sat nav which updates automatically.

As an aside I'm going through a similar process with my Satmap Active 10 GPS which I used to use for trail riding/green laning and use for walking. I lost the route planning software for that when changing the PC, but even though Satmap have unfortunately gone software is still available so I'm about to install that.
ScramblerChris
Great Britain

Post by ScramblerChris »

Not quite out of the woods yet. Just thought I'd start looking at producing a route and in neither Basecamp or Mapsource do I have my 2012 map showing.

When I zoom in on both I only have main roads. If I connect the 660 to the PC I get all the minor roads as well in Basecamp but not Mapsource. Have tried Transfer/Receive From Device in Mapsource but I get " The selected device has no maps on it"!

Looked in the Program files and Garmin only has the Global map. How do I get the map from the 660 onto my PC for use by Basecamp and Mapsource?

I do have my original map and unlock code as a last resort!
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

MapSource cannot read maps from your device, BaseCamp can which is why you're seeing different results when your 660 is connected.

You need to use Express to install the map to your PC.
ScramblerChris
Great Britain

Post by ScramblerChris »

Thanks.

Looked at installing a map via Garmin Express and Mapsource, but they don't give me the option of installing any maps.

Was hoping I could pull it off the 660 via Transfer in BC as it includes maps in the choices, unless that means routes, and was surprised to see no maps on the device.

Looks as though I can produce a route in BC as it links with the device but it would be nice to try Mapsource again. I'll try the disk at some point.
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Post by Les »

Try using 'Mapinstall' that may help... hmm just reread your post and it's Mapsource not showing maps.

Silly question, what maps are available in the drop down menu top left of Mapsource?
ScramblerChris
Great Britain

Post by ScramblerChris »

Short answer Les, none!
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Les wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:57 pm Try using 'Mapinstall' that may help... hmm just reread your post and it's Mapsource not showing maps.

Silly question, what maps are available in the drop down menu top left of Mapsource?
MapInstall can only install maps to your device if they are already on your PC
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

ScramblerChris wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:20 pm Was hoping I could pull it off the 660 via Transfer in BC as it includes maps in the choices, unless that means routes, and was surprised to see no maps on the device.
That won't work unfortunately. You said earlier you had the original map, what format is that in?
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Post by Les »

ScramblerChris wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:28 pm Short answer Les, none!
OK.. try this Chris, when your Zumo is connected to express and you click on the picture of your Zumo, do you get this 'option'?
Attachments
Udates.jpg
Udates.jpg (23.51 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
ScramblerChris
Great Britain

Post by ScramblerChris »

Hi chaps, only just got back from a day out.

Les, no I don't get Map Details come up. Probably because I don't have lifetime maps and I can no longer buy updates.

Sussamb, I have the original map disk which came with the sat nav and I have the unlock code. Plan was to see if I can install this on the PC. This map is the same as on the sat nav as I never updated it.